Face/Animal Images (+All Marble Cows 2006-12-12)

Nintendo DS [ Game Guide ]
Chris Fritz
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

Face Images

I've extracted all 565 face images for the characters from Harvest Moon DS. I'm making them freely available for anyone to use (including 牛の種, as the site's DS face images supply is slightly lacking.) (If you want to use any on a web site or message board, please save them and upload them somewhere else -- don't just link to mine!)

Marriage Candidates | Other People | Special Marriage Candidates | Daughters and Sons | Harvest Sprites

Extras: Character Sprites | Eyes

Note: If the images have a grey background, and you're using Internet Explorer, please upgrade to Internet Explorer 7 to fix this. The images actually have a transparent background, but older versions of IE do not support it.

If you would like to download all the faces at once, including mirrored faces (facing the opposite direction from seen on the pages above), I've archived them all into a single file. You don't need to download both, just one or the other:

faces.zip (3.4M) [Windows, Mac]
faces.tar.gz (3.1M) [Linux, BSD]

Touch Screen Animals (unfinished)

Note: The "dirty" images for the Normal and Marble cows have the incorrect palettes. I don't know when/if I'll get to correcting them.

Update 20070819:

I've been super-busy with other things, so I haven't gotten around to any more extracting, nor do I have any current plans to. Right now I have projects I'm working on and am helping many others with their projects, so my time is limited. Maybe I can try to find time after I finish helping others with projects, as I've stopped taking on new ones, but it can be a while...

One day, I still need to extract the sheep.

Update 20180321: Took out some dead links. I never did get to the sheep, did I? Nor maps, nor player sprites. Currently no plans to work on them. I'm keeping the IE7 note in because it was such a wonderful time that Microsoft finally started playing catch-up on the web browser front. (Has it really been over a decade? My three nephews did not exist back then!)
Last edited by Chris Fritz on Mar 21, 2018 9:20 pm, edited 119 times in total.
HMfan
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

OMG!!!! THIS IS WHAT I WAS EXACTLY LOOKING FOR!!!!! May I ask that do you have Kai, Cliff, Gray, Rick, and Doctor face images?
Magil Kojiro
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

You, Chris Fritz, are the winrar. I would give you an internet, but unfortunately, I am only allowed to distribute two a week, and I gave them both to someone else just yesterday.
safiaNeko
Pick Potatos, not boogers
Pick Potatos, not boogers

Post  Posted:

Wow, those are beautiful images. :) Give yourself a pat on the back for such a great job. :D
Thejellofarmer
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Thoes all look they are off the site.... but resized.

But anyway cool.... I guess
ArchangelMichael
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

Post  Posted:

Wow, these are very nice, and so clear. I've also been looking for images of character portraits. I hope you're able to do the Mineral Town bachelorettes and characters as well. The kids would be nice too. :D Please keep on posting more!
Chris Fritz
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

HMfan wrote:May I ask that do you have Kai, Cliff, Gray, Rick, and Doctor face images?
Gimme a week, tops. I'm posting them in the order they appear in the game data, so Forget-Me-Not's villagers come first, then the Mineral Town gals, then the Mineral Town guys, followed by special girls, then Harvest Sprites. They're coming along =)
Thejellofarmer wrote:Thoes all look they are off the site.... but resized.

But anyway cool.... I guess
These ones are extracted directly from the game -- that means no blurring, no distorted colors, no JPG compression artifacts, etc. (Some of the ones on the site appear to be screen shots from the game, but I plan to post an entire collection of every face from the game. I just need a week or two to do it!)
Last edited by Chris Fritz on Oct 23, 2006 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HMfan
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

I can't wait to see them!! Oh and nice job with the pictures. ^^
Kasai
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Their body seems to show up more... As in it's not just the head and shoulders like in the game. How did you manage that?
Chris Fritz
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

Kasai, it's because I'm extracting the images from the game code itself. I'm not playing the game and taking pictures. The game stores slightly larger images than you can see when playing the game. Interesting, isn't it?

Edit: Perhaps they planned on an option like in the GBA version to "not show" the strip along the bottom with the person's name. This could explain why there's enough body to reach the bottom of the screen stored in the game data.
Kasai
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Confusing as well. Ah, the wonders of technology...

BTW, is your avvie really Rick's blushy face? It's so cute~

Good job.
Chris Fritz
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

Kasai wrote:BTW, is your avvie really Rick's blushy face? It's so cute~
Yeah, super-cute! (Carter has a similar expression, too =) It's my favorite of all the faces, so I just had to use it. Can't wait until I get that far in posting them, but I don't want to post them all too fast!
Kasai
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

You have quite a lot of time on your hands to be able to do this... Or at least a lot of patience.

Like the Chris and Grant happy faces. <3
Chris Fritz
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

Actually, it's not a lot of work, mostly just renaming image filenames (after extracting them to temporary PNG files). But sometimes some extract a bit weird, and those take a good minute or three to fix =( I don't mind, though; if people can find a use for these, and no one else has made the whole collection available, then it's worth any time I put into it! (It started as a programming game for myself; first I extracted the game sprites for characters, then I moved on up to the face sprites. Software programming and image decoding can give such an adrenaline rush!)

Edit: I take it back, I just started cropping/saving the images of the sons, and this IS a lot of work! Then there will be the Harvest Sprites, and the daughters. Whew!
Kasai
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

About the Kate (kid) when she's mad, I don't think it's supposed to show her teeth. At least in the game, that's how it shows up.
Last edited by Kasai on Oct 23, 2006 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.