Rune Factory Oceans!

Covering Innocent Life (PsP/Ps2), Rune Factory 1 (DS), Rune Factory 2 (DS), Rune Factory 3 (DS/Switch), Rune Factory Frontier (Wii), Rune Factory Tides of Destiny (Wii/Ps3), Rune Factory 4 (3DS/Switch/Steam), and Rune Factory 5 (Switch/Steam).
Bloody-Red
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

touchmon wrote:Hang on! Do I see two male characters? 0_0

Wait. I think the red haired one is a girl. The one in the bottom left though...
Another girl :
-The scan shows Azel/Sonia with all the revealed bachelorettes so far.
-This week's famitsu revealed one bachelor and his description doesn't match the character on the bottom left.
Nurse Fin
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Bottom left is Mikoto I bet. That means she is voiced by Yuu Kobayashi... damn. Maybe I will forget about playing as a girl if I get this game. Hot boyish ponytail chick + one of my favorite VAs is a deadly combination.
NNescio
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Nurse Fin wrote:Bottom left is Mikoto I bet. That means she is voiced by Yuu Kobayashi... damn. Maybe I will forget about playing as a girl if I get this game. Hot boyish ponytail chick + one of my favorite VAs is a deadly combination.
Could be another Maria Holic.
Googaboga
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Mikoto or whoever the silver/white haired girl is looks so good. She kinda reminds me of Mei. Elena is adorable. But I never end up liking marriage candidates that look like little girls. They are always too childish. I hope she is different.
haloharvestmoon
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

^I'm the exact opposite. I'm a little pedophile when it comes to runefactory. I always either marry the normal aged girls or the flat ones. xD

See...If there were portraits in this game, I'd marry Elena hands down, because the way they design her looks so pretty! But I doubt her walking sprite will look very good.

I really like Oddette too...Mikoto seems cool. Is she the "foreign" themed character?
NNescio
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Googaboga wrote:Mikoto or whoever the silver/white haired girl is looks so good. She kinda reminds me of Mei. Elena is adorable. But I never end up liking marriage candidates that look like little girls. They are always too childish. I hope she is different.
Now that you've mentioned Mei...

It's possible to write Mikoto with the kanji 「命」, which means "Life". This is sort of the opposite of Mei 「冥」, which has connotations of "Death".
soulharvester13
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Post  Posted:

Aww... after seeing Mikoto's art she doesn't look that appealing... on looks alone Elena and Electra got my votes!
Ranger
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Can anyone pull up a full scan of Mikoto (if there is one yet)?

I like Elena, Sara, and Odette so far. Mikoto looks interesting.

I'm really excited to see Joe. He sounds interesting. xD
Googaboga
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

haloharvestmoon: You little girl stalker :lol:. But I agree she is one of those characters that would just look better with a portrait.
NNescio wrote:
Googaboga wrote:Mikoto or whoever the silver/white haired girl is looks so good. She kinda reminds me of Mei. Elena is adorable. But I never end up liking marriage candidates that look like little girls. They are always too childish. I hope she is different.
Now that you've mentioned Mei...

It's possible to write Mikoto with the kanji 「命」, which means "Life". This is sort of the opposite of Mei 「冥」, which has connotations of "Death".
*Gasp* There is no such thing as coincidence. I bet there is some important reason her name is Mikoto.
cuc
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

Interestingly, the report on that blog says Mikoto has black hair. "Wait, does she have black hair or silver hair?" (Perhaps her in-game model has black hair.)

In my eyes, a certain white-haired girl from the past is the single most beautiful woman in the whole RF series, and now she's got competition in Mikoto. It helps that Mikoto sounds like a strong, free spirited yet honorable person, with shades of Seven Samurai and wandering knight in her.
The gimmick behind Elena seems to be the contrast between her manner of speech and her petite form.
NNescio wrote:Now that you've mentioned Mei...

My first post said her name is 命, and noted how unusual this name is.

While this connection is very likely intended (命 can even be pronounced "mei" in on'yomi), the etymology of "mikoto" is closer to "command", and is an honorary mostly used only for gods and nobility, right? 命 as "life" is pronounced "inochi".
cuc wrote:The kanji 命 can mean "fate", "life" and "command", and isn't often used as a female name, even in anime. Technically "samurai" is male only, and female warriors should be called "musha", but no one cares these days.
Last edited by cuc on Nov 30, 2010 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Melody Muse
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I thought "female samurai" were called onna-bugeisha? (To be fair, I haven't heard the term musha before, so I could be mistaken, or both could be correct.) Either way, if the female MC or a bachelorette could wield a naginata, that would be awesome! (Also I love how if you try to look up anything related to Japan in a serious note using wikipedia as a reference base, there are all sorts of "A perfect example of this is in this ANIME" yet not nearly as many historical references made. XD)

Hmm. I wouldn't mind another gorgeous albino bachelorette or bachelor. I find it quite appealing what they can do with such subtle colors. ^_^

Of course, I just want a bubbly magical girl (or bathhouse girl for second choice) the most though. :D
cuc
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

Instead of "musha" I should have said "onna musha", as "musha" is gender-neutral.

It seems "onna bugeisha" (女武芸者), "onna musha" (女武者) or "onna bushi" (女武士) are all acceptable. As a word, "musha" seems more popular (e.g. "Onimusha", Capcom's game series; "kagemusha", a body double).
Melody Muse wrote:Either way, if the female MC or a bachelorette could wield a naginata, that would be awesome!
RF already has a naginata-wielding noblewoman character in Uzuki. As is said, I'm getting this feeling that Mikoto's concept is more based on the ideal of a chivalric ronin. This is traditionally a male figure, and I can only think of one female example in video games: Asuka of the Shiren the Wanderer series.

Seriously, the world needs more good female samurai characters! :)

Regarding the possible Mei-Mikoto link...

(WARNING: language geekery)

To stretch the link further, 冥 also has connotations of "fate".

(cuc opens another window, and searches for online Chinese dictionaries.)

Etymologically speaking, in Chinese, the most basic meaning of 命 is "command", while the most basic meaning of 冥 is "dim" and "dark". The development of their meaning is probably:

命: command -> fate -> life
冥: dim / dark -> deep

And from "deep", 冥 develops several subtly related meanings, "the underworld" or "death" being but one of them, although it's the meaning Japanese people are most familiar with.

As an example, in the English version of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, the name of the sword 青冥劍 is translated as Green Destiny, but the actual meaning of 青冥 is more like "green and deep", which can be a poetic reference to many things, from high heaven to deep water, and has no direct connection to destiny at all.
NNescio
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

cuc wrote: Regarding the possible Mei-Mikoto link...

(WARNING: language geekery)

To stretch the link further, 冥 also has connotations of "fate".

(cuc opens another window, and searches for online Chinese dictionaries.)

Etymologically speaking, in Chinese, the most basic meaning of 命 is "command", while the most basic meaning of 冥 is "dim" and "dark". The development of their meaning is probably:

And from "deep", 冥 develops several subtly related meanings, "the underworld" or "death" being but one of them, although it's the meaning Japanese people are most familiar with.

As an example, in the English version of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, the name of the sword 青冥劍 is translated as Green Destiny, but the actual meaning of 青冥 is more like "green and deep", which can be a poetic reference to many things, from high heaven to deep water, and has no direct connection to destiny at all.
Correct. Most contemporary Chinese and Japanese people would tend to associate 命 with "life" ('though like you'd said, the Japanese would pronounce it as "inochi" instead when it means "life". The connotation is still present though.) and 冥 with "death" (due to 冥界 and 冥王星), and 命 rarely means 'command' outside of word compounds like 命令, but the etymological root of 命 is indeed, "command".

I also went through some old Chinese texts, and I believe your theory of-
-is also correct.

As a native Chinese speaker, I must say that I am visibly impressed.
Anastasia_95
Pick Potatos, not boogers
Pick Potatos, not boogers

Post  Posted:

wait...just how many male characters this game has?
Googaboga
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

^ So far there is James who has been profiled and shown in pictures. Then there is Joe who has just a short profile and description. Those are the only officially announced bachelors. Unless you count Azel since apparently Azel and Sonia can marry each other. But there are now seven officially announced female marriage candidates. Which why I am still thinking the game is going to end up having 11 girls and 5 guys.

I can't keep up with the name translations :?. But she seems like a cool character :) .