Purpose of golden crops?

Nintendo 3DS. The first Bokujou Monogatari game localized by XSeed Games. [ Game Guide ] JP release = Feb 2014. NA release = Mar 2015. EU release = Dec 2015.
moekou
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

I had originally assumed golden crops were the superior "ultimate" form of regular crops you have to unlock, so I held off on fertilizing regular ones too much and just grew a lot until I could raise golden versions and level their rank up. However, I didn't expect the wilting chance to be so high, I thought it'd just be a small 10% chance thing or something at best that I could ignore. I'm not fond of the idea of saving and resetting for this to cheat the system. I heard about the greenhouse in year 4, but it's made me wonder, what exactly is the point of golden crops then? They sell for a lot more but take longer and could wilt, with some as high as 70% chance. Is it not worth it to just grow them normally outside without resetting? And cooking with them just equals two meals.

I'm fall of Year 2 and already have over 7 million gold so it feels like money won't matter by year 4, and unlike gold wool and similar products it's not needed for unique things like outfits. From a game balance point of view, what is the main purpose of raising golden crops you unlock after growing a lot of regular ones?
Madara
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

Post  Posted:

I think they're only for the achievement and postcards. They also boost friendship faster if you're into that.

From a cooking standpoint, if you use multiple golden crops in a single dish you'll get more than just x2. (if using 2 golden crops x3, 3 golden crops x4, etc)
If youth trying to unlock tropical country, this really helps when you have crops that can't be made into food alone (peppers :l).

I started golden crops with the ferris wheel, I don't save scum anything. I'm also rich af (20 mil, year 5) but I don't sell them. I plant and hoard 99 of each in my 5 fridges...
But I'm going for 100% so gold crops definitely aren't a thing for everyone.
sharp
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

I think golden crops are more like an extra challenge in the game that aren't really useful. They just... look cool, I guess, and it's easier to win festivals with them if I'm not wrong?

If you're the type of player who likes exploring all the dialogue in the game, you can also gift golden crops to every villager to see their unique reactions.
Yuuki_
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Just for fun.
Money is never an issue after year 1.
sablecurse
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

To avoid wilting, use the ferris wheel - not chance of wilting for golden crops and no need to water; plus a faster growth rate and a slow star increase without use of fertilizer. In my opinion, it's not really worth it to grow in normal plots due to the high wilt rate. The only way of avoiding the wilting in normal plots is the super mushroom that grows from mysterious seeds (a 1 in 3 chance of getting the mushroom plus the long growth time means a lot of planning ahead).

The purposes of golden crops include increased output when used in cooking, better chance to win Harvest Festivals (in my experience), use to complete postcard quests, and 100% completion (need to harvest every type of crop, including golden variety, I believe).
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

You can use special fertilizer to keep them from wilting in a regular plot. I think their main purpose is to help you make cooked dishes faster. That and make the game a little more challenging for those that like to grow/ ship everything in the game.