The "Year 1 Savoy Spinach Challenge"

The first mainline Harvest Moon game developed by Natsume. Nintendo 3DS. [ Game Guide ] JP release = None. NA release = Nov 2014. EU release = Jun 2015.
Sting
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

I took up this challenge to fulfill the Harvest Goddess' request since it was hinted by CeeCee that it was possible.

Here's what I found

tl;dr - You can only have 1 day of restored Spring no matter what. This is why you must plant your spinach so it will mature on the 30th of Spring exactly and have it restored.

Long version guide (spoilers for first spring)

Spr

1 Visit the spring and make a good path

3 Sam arrives, plant 10 pansies anywhere above river level

5 See Sally at the spring

6 Sally arrives

10 Iris and April arrives, pick 10 pansies

11 Blossom arrives

13 Meet Gil at spring, catch 10 fish

14 Dewey arrives, visit Moon Valley

15 Harvest Goddess returns, sow strawberry seeds on 10 levels above river level, use Rowan

16 Savoy Spinach request from Harvest Goddess, Brutus, Jimmy and Tony arrives

20 Doc arrives, place the barn and buy the kitchen (1000G, 20 wood)

21 Meet Naomi in Moon Valley, harvest strawberries

22 Hunter arrives, start caring for the cow every day

24 Calvin arrives, strawberry jam recipe

25-26 SAVE - PLANT A LOT OF SPINACH (5 days on level 2-7 above the river, one or two days longer other places. Save and reload here to time it right!)

29 Hannah and Emily arrives, buy sugar and make jam. Restore Spring

30 Final restored Spring, harvest 3 Savoy Spinach, season ends

If you time everything right and reload a bit, you should be able to harvest 3 Savoy Spinach the first Spring!

If you have any further notes, please let me know.
Last edited by Sting on Nov 10, 2014 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
moongoat
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Thanks for posting! Very helpful.
Feather Qwill
Not the Eggplant Wizard
Not the Eggplant Wizard

Post  Posted:

... now I feel way less like a failure for not managing it. That's a crazy amount of planning. Congratulations for succeeding!
Alnosha
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

How many is a lot? I planted 50 and only got some great spinach and regular spinach.
Kakuloo
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

I have started a new file to do this. How could I not? So far so good! I am on the 21st. I had a panic moment because Doc wouldn't show up for me to tell him about my barn! But it turned out that I was a little early (he doesn't show up in Moon Valley until 10am.)
Alyx
Pick Potatos, not boogers

Post  Posted:

I've tried it twice; hasn't worked either time. How much spinach should I plant? Not sure if its worth me trying again... Any other tips?
Anketam
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Planted 81 spinach and 0 turned out savoy. So I don't want to know how many I would have had to plant to get 3.
Kakuloo
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

Grah. I've done this twice now. >.< I planted 124 spinach, 4 on each possible plantable level, all turned harvestable on the 30th in real Spring, and not one is Savoy.

I saved the night before to try the reset thing, but still nothing.

I even harvested it all a few times to make sure it isn't just because it looks like regular spinach (which would be silly).

Did you actually manage to do this, Sting? Could you possibly post a picture of Savoy so we at least know what it looks like? =P
Alyx

Post  Posted:

I gave it a third shot. Planted tons more spinach, and still didn't work. I tried resetting as well... still nothing. I think I've given up now, but I'd love to know what the secret is!
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Sally's request #5 nets you 3 savoy spinach seeds. I'm like you - been trying everything!! Found help page which listed this.