So I bought the Luke and Andrea DLC...

The first mainline Harvest Moon game developed by Natsume. Nintendo 3DS. [ Game Guide ] JP release = None. NA release = Nov 2014. EU release = Jun 2015.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

...But I still feel cannot be bothered to complete the game. I just feel it is such a chore to play it. Story of Seasons is much more better! Anyone else feel this way?
princesszelda
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

I haven't played the game since the week of it's release but I went ahead and got every available DLC. I will eventually play this game, I just want to be finished with SoS first. I can't play 2 HM games at once, never have been able to.
Lirishae
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Fishie, I'm really not sure what you're looking for here. If you're looking for validation/agreement, you're probably not going to find it here ^^ People who are here instead of the SoS board are here because at least for the time being, we prefer to play TLV over SoS. Personally, I think both games have their strengths and flaws, and I plan to support both Natsume and XSeed in the future. If you want to tell us why you feel TLV is a chore to play, we might be able to offer some suggestions on how to make it more for fun for you. That's entirely your own prerogative though (=^-^=) If you want help with anything, I'm more than happy to help in any way that I can.
irulethegalaxy
Spinich Bodyguard
Spinich Bodyguard

Post  Posted:

I'm rather befuddled by the fact that you'd purchase DLC for a game that you don't enjoy.

I've put WELL over 700 hours into TLV, and barely 50 into SOS. I own all the DLC on two consoles (including the themes), three copies of the game and...well, it's flawed but I love it. I find it far more satisfying to play than SOS. Farming is work, and it should feel satisfying when your crops are ripe. I never got that with SOS; it felt like farming was a side thing you had to do and not the focus of the game. BM has gotten to the point where it has just spread itself too thin, and the focus is no longer on farming--or even really anything else. For crying out loud, I want to FARM, not make a hundred wallpapers and garden decorations. It'd be fine if it was just to decorate your own house, but no. Combine that with the FOUR YEAR wait to get some of the animals, and just ehhhhh. I couldn't get into it. At all.

I think I just barely made it to year 2 in my SOS save. My main TLV save is 11 years in.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Troll fail, 0/10.
Chaos_Azeroth
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

Anonymous Fish wrote:Troll fail, 0/10.
To be fair, I've been feeling that way lately even though I overall love the game.

The other replies are far more productive, seeing « Puppy Doodoo » like this is why I avoid the focus for days on end...It's just pointlessly rude.

Though OP, you could have put a little more substance to your post, explaining your issues and stuff.
Cherubae
UNoT Dictator
UNoT Dictator

Post  Posted:

Anonymous Fish wrote:...But I still feel cannot be bothered to complete the game. I just feel it is such a chore to play it. Story of Seasons is much more better! Anyone else feel this way?
I believe that shipping 15000 cooking recipes, 15000 farm products, 600 clothing outfits, 10000 processed items, etc. in Story of Seasons a more tedious chore than anything that could take place in Lost Valley :lol:
Lirishae
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Cherubae wrote:I believe that shipping 15000 cooking recipes, 15000 farm products, 600 clothing outfits, 10000 processed items, etc. in Story of Seasons a more tedious chore than anything that could take place in Lost Valley :lol:
I second this. Both games admittedly have grinding issues, but in TLV it's mostly just the ~600,000 gold for a fully upgraded, marriage-ready house. I recently restarted TLV, which the recent patch made a lot easier to do thanks to upgraded Dewy + faster Sprite friendship. But the Ice/Tropical Country grinds in SoS? Nope. Not touching those again with a ten foot pole.
irulethegalaxy
Spinich Bodyguard
Spinich Bodyguard

Post  Posted:

Lirishae wrote:
Cherubae wrote:I believe that shipping 15000 cooking recipes, 15000 farm products, 600 clothing outfits, 10000 processed items, etc. in Story of Seasons a more tedious chore than anything that could take place in Lost Valley :lol:
I second this. Both games admittedly have grinding issues, but in TLV it's mostly just the ~600,000 gold for a fully upgraded, marriage-ready house. I recently restarted TLV, which the recent patch made a lot easier to do thanks to upgraded Dewy + faster Sprite friendship. But the Ice/Tropical Country grinds in SoS? Nope. Not touching those again with a ten foot pole.

Yup, I think that grind is largely why I quit SOS. I had other issues with it, but the requirements to unlock the final vendors...well, does ANYONE find that fun? I can't imagine what the game designers were thinking, other than to just pad out the game. The rest of the game is okay (though I still say that overall, the game feels rather flat and soulless to me; probably because whatever charm might be there is disguised while you flail around frantically trying to produce all the useless junk you have to make to unlock those vendors), but I'd rather plant a gazillion onions and hope for scallions, myself.
Cal
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

Post  Posted:

Cherubae wrote:
Anonymous Fish wrote:...But I still feel cannot be bothered to complete the game. I just feel it is such a chore to play it. Story of Seasons is much more better! Anyone else feel this way?
I believe that shipping 15000 cooking recipes, 15000 farm products, 600 clothing outfits, 10000 processed items, etc. in Story of Seasons a more tedious chore than anything that could take place in Lost Valley :lol:
I agree with this, but I'm just not sure why I can't bring myself to get TLV.

I feel as if people like SOS over TLV because of the artwork and the bachelors and bachelorettes, and the fact that there's actually a village present. SOS is a way bigger grind but a majority of the community is more into it than the Natsume alternative, I kind of find it odd but fascinating...
LoveisSame333
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

I for one had more fun with the lost valley then with sos. I don't know why but I just couldn't get myself to marry or unlock the last two vendors. And in the lost valley I restored all the seasons and should marry tony shortly and build the crib.
kristaok
Banned: Trolling

Post  Posted:

May I also add I am feeling the grind now a tad, but I'm sure I can manage, my main qualm is the time - it's too fast... I love LOVE TLV but the time is so fast that by the time I take care of my animals its getting noonish, then I water my crops if need be and its verging on 5-6ish, I barely have time to mingle with villagers or mine. I guess I need to focus on what I want to do each year from now on, one year dedicated to mining, the next crops / flowers, etc... Or do it seasonally, either way I got so much on my plate right now.

I wish OP was more specific...
Personally I've already beat the main storyline / restored all seasons. My goal now is to save money, maybe get married, and maybe have a child. I'm not truly sure if I will get married in this one for a while though... I honestly want more animals but again the time factor is hurting the game to an extent, if only time would stop in the house, barn, coop, and perhaps slow down the time it takes to do chores.

I've had TLV for about 5 days and I'm addicted, I'm glad I bought it, so all in all I don't have much negatives to say about it. TLV isn't the game for everyone of course, but I think it added some great game mechanics, I must admit that I wish some things were a tad different like time (slow it down a tad), more mine crystals, a tad more marriage candidates, just little things... even then the fast time isn't a game / deal breaker for me.

Although many individuals hate / dislike terraforming I truly love it and I hope to see that aspect continue on, I pray for a sequel to this, I would gladly purchase it. Also I love how crops can mutate, I do wish they would make a printed guide book its easier for me to read something in my hand vs online due to astigmatism and so forth...

I'm glad people have dedicated their time to writing guides online as its better than nothing. :)

So I do see how it can seem hard to do certain things but I feel this game gives back, like you feel a sense of reward / accomplishment for doing those things. In the end it's best to beat the main plot before jumping to conclusions, the game speeds / perks up the more you play it.
Lirishae
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Yeah, time definitely moves too fast compared to how long it takes to do chores =/ Unlike recent BokuMono games where you usually have time to accomplish everything you'd reasonably want to do in a day, you really have to prioritize one thing at a time in TLV. If you decide you want to terraform for example, it's a good idea to downscale the number of crops you're growing and put away your barn and coop in your pocket. This makes your animals go into hibernation, and they won't age or get hungry, dirty, stressed or sick ^^ In a way the time crunch is a bit of a blessing in disguise; since you can only do one thing at a time, you don't fall into a rut where you do the exact same thing in the exact same order every day for seasons on end. Story of Seasons actually bored me somewhat for that reason, since there's nothing different you can do to break up the monotony of your daily routine. But in TLV you can do things like take a break from your farm to terraform, and so that helps keep things fresh ^^

As far as a sequel goes, they will be releasing one next year called Seeds of Memories ^_^ It won't have terraforming in it, but they've made a lot of other positive changes based on fan feedback, like adding Gareth and Tabitha as marriage candidates, a town, tool upgrades, etc. There won't be an official printed guide unfortunately, but maybe you can print out the online guides and put them in a notebook or binder? I used to do that ages ago when I didn't have reliable internet access. And I 100% agree about the game feeling rewarding ^^ I'll never forget the sense of awe and accomplishment I felt when I stepped into my valley and saw spring for the first time. It's been a very long time since I played a game that made me feel like that.
Getaris
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Old thread, but yeah. I feel like the amount of time given is about just right, you could try and do every single thing every single day... But you'll end up overwhelmed.

Deciding on a few activites and cycling through them every now and then really helps with enjoying the game. It makes it harder to fall into a boring routine, which is an usual problem with Harvest Moon.
kristaok
Banned: Trolling

Post  Posted:

Lirishae wrote:Yeah, time definitely moves too fast compared to how long it takes to do chores =/ Unlike recent BokuMono games where you usually have time to accomplish everything you'd reasonably want to do in a day, you really have to prioritize one thing at a time in TLV. If you decide you want to terraform for example, it's a good idea to downscale the number of crops you're growing and put away your barn and coop in your pocket. This makes your animals go into hibernation, and they won't age or get hungry, dirty, stressed or sick ^^ In a way the time crunch is a bit of a blessing in disguise; since you can only do one thing at a time, you don't fall into a rut where you do the exact same thing in the exact same order every day for seasons on end. Story of Seasons actually bored me somewhat for that reason, since there's nothing different you can do to break up the monotony of your daily routine. But in TLV you can do things like take a break from your farm to terraform, and so that helps keep things fresh ^^

As far as a sequel goes, they will be releasing one next year called Seeds of Memories ^_^ It won't have terraforming in it, but they've made a lot of other positive changes based on fan feedback, like adding Gareth and Tabitha as marriage candidates, a town, tool upgrades, etc. There won't be an official printed guide unfortunately, but maybe you can print out the online guides and put them in a notebook or binder? I used to do that ages ago when I didn't have reliable internet access. And I 100% agree about the game feeling rewarding ^^ I'll never forget the sense of awe and accomplishment I felt when I stepped into my valley and saw spring for the first time. It's been a very long time since I played a game that made me feel like that.
Wow so I can take a break on my animals by placing them in my pocket?! This is awesome! I didn't know that... Thanks for telling me!