Pearl onions found

The first mainline Harvest Moon game developed by Natsume. Nintendo 3DS. [ Game Guide ] JP release = None. NA release = Nov 2014. EU release = Jun 2015.
MommaKat
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

On Natsume's Seeds of Memories forum, the question was asked about Pearl Onions and how to find them. One of the members, sTina posted finding out from a user on another forum about how to grow them for SOM. There is a link to a picture of a crop of these, but I can't tell who the person is who discovered how to grow them, but a big thanks to whoever that is and to sTina for posting on Natsume's forum about it.

I assumed the same parameters would work for TLV and they did.

Pearl Onion
Grown from petite onion
Fall
Mid levels - I grew mine on HE-3.
Lush soil.
No fertilizer.
Important - needs 1 space between the plants in order for them to mutate:

x x x x x
x o x o x
x x x x x

I have to admit this is a bit frustrating as many of us spent hours and hours trying to find these pearl onions and it essentially was a waste of time because no one knew spacing was a factor with the mutation. Anyway, mystery solved and again thanks to those involved in discovering this.

Gilbert's Fall 2 request awards:
Legendary feed x3
Great apple x3
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

I can confirm this...I planted a checkerboard pattern of just 11 petite onions (all the space I had), and was rewarded with THREE jerk onions growing as my reward.

I'm kind of angry, because I specifically asked Natsume how to grow these, and SHOWED THEM A PICTURE of my failed attempts...and it was never mentioned that I should try spacing them. Not to mention this is the only crop in the game that has that requirement. ARGHHHHHH!

But, at least now they can be grown! Thanks, MommaKat!
Getaris
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Oooh nice, I'll have to unlock petite onions to try this.
Cherubae
UNoT Dictator
UNoT Dictator

Post  Posted:

Interesting; somehow I missed this post too after I gave up on those onions. I'll have to give it a try.

Yes, I would agree the Lost Valley (and Seeds of Memories) have a serious lack of in-game documentation. A TV or a mailbox with hints would of been very beneficial, instead of dreams that weren't terribly useful. The company had the same problem with Hometown Story and their lack of in-game guidance. Players don't have the time to waste time doing pointless tasks with no reward; there are plenty of other games out there competing with a player's important free time.
Getaris
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

It took quite a while, but I finally got my first batch of pearl onions.

I notice there's still not a pic for this crop in the guide, so I got one in case you want to use it!

Murasaki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

The planting schematic should look like:

X O X O X
O X O X O
X O X O X

You can grow other things in between. That's how I got pearl onions in SoM.
Getaris
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I might add that they're actually quite easy to grow.

With 100 plants active (in batches of 50), it took me 14 days to get the 30 needed to unlock the seeds. But even then a batch went bad (they didn't mutate at all) because of constant fog, so it actually took me less days.

Each batch of 50 petites gave around 2 to 9 pearl onions. They seemed to be more plentiful if they mutated during a sunny day, but that might just be the rng playing mind tricks with me.

I also fertilized them regularly because of the constant fog, so maybe their health was high.