Did I lose Dewey?

The first mainline Harvest Moon game developed by Natsume. Nintendo 3DS. [ Game Guide ] JP release = None. NA release = Nov 2014. EU release = Jun 2015.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

I've been noticing something strange going on when I ask Dewey to water. He's always at the Goddess Spring like he should be when I ask him to work, but after that, I can never see him watering my plants. From my understanding it's important to talk to the Sprites while they work for more Chemistry.

I'm in Year 2, Early Spring with all seasons restored. Dewey's chemistry is in the 70s, but it doesn't seem like he waters a lot. I don't plant a lot of crops at once. About 30 max at a time.

Is this a glitch?
Getaris
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Sometimes the sprites get stuck in the top left corner of the map, have you looked there?
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

I hired him to work, then ran to the top left corner. He wasn't there. I waited for awhile looking at the map in that corner and where my crops were. He never showed up.
Getaris
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Hm, that's odd, I've never heard of anything similar happening (a sprite going missing).

Is this a recurrent problem?
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Getaris wrote:Hm, that's odd, I've never heard of anything similar happening (a sprite going missing).

Is this a recurrent problem?
Yes. I can't remember when it first started, possibly during Winter Year 1? He barely waters, even though I have high chemistry.

What do you suggest? Should I start a new game, or is there anyway to redownload the game (bought on Nintendo e-shop) to fix this while keeping my save files? I have the patch.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

To clarify, Dewey always comes back and stays at the Harvest Goddess Spring the next day. I'm able to talk to him normally, and re-hire him after a day of rest.

I just never see him actually watering my plants. And he doesn't seem to be doing that great of a job at it with 71% Chemistry.
Getaris
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

You could try asking at the Natsume community forums or their social media accounts to see if they know of the problem and how to solve it.

Also try "fixing" the game through the eShop and see if that helps, who knows, it might. It should be an option, replacing the download button.

Have you checked all over the map on the touch screen to see if he spawns at all after you hire him? It's really weird.

If there's no solution, you may want to restart the file, since Dewy is absolutely necessary if you want to get mutations quick.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

I tried to sign up at Natsume's help forums, but I'm having trouble answering the questions. They ask things like: Who is the president? Or where is Natsume, Inc. located?

I googled answers and typed them in, but they were always wrong. I gave up.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

I meant, who is the president of Natsume? I thought that meant their CEO.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

No, I tried Google. But thank you for showing me this. I got signed up, and finally got approved to post, so I am going to ask today.

Thanks!
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

I'm having a similar issue and this might be yours too but I don't know how to fix it. My sprites will usually be out for so little time ( still at 0% chemistry) that by the time I get to where they are ( or in Dewey's case as well as a few others like Rowan, by the time I leave the HG Spring) they're already back from doing their job.
Murasaki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Just keep using them every other weekday and plant as many crops as you can. Especially right outside the waterfall entrance if you're growing "high elevation" crops.

The chemistry will go up even if you don't talk to them in the field. They'll make those "why do you hate me" comments but meh, just talk to them twice outside. Dewy will always have the same contrarian comment when you hire him, even at 100%.
Getaris
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Sometimes post-patch Dewy is so efficient, he'll water all the dry crops in a single move... Which means by the time the clock changes, he thinks there's no need to continue, because all the crops are watered.

Of course, if it happens really early in the morning that means not all your crops had time to dry out, and you'll have to water the rest of your crops yourself once they do.

Try to ask for his help around 3-4 pm, to give time for more crops to dry out.
ChaosAzerothCat
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

I've actually had Dewy vanish after talking to him on the hour. I had to leave the valley map and come back for him to reappear. :lol: