XSEED Games Localization Blog Discussion

Explore Lulukoko, Tsukuyusa, and Westown in this multi-cultural farming game for Nintendo 3DS. [ Game Guide ] JP release = Jun 2016. NA release = Feb 2017. EU release = Oct 2017.
Autumn_Song
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

How does one even pronounced Rescht?
PeachyKeen
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Autumn_Song wrote:How does one even pronounced Rescht?
i would say as res-cht maybe? however when i see it, i think retch lol
Dark Angel
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

I'm pretty sure it's resht, but the c in there does make its own distinct sound and it's so hard to convey over text, ahah.

I took French classes for a few years, so (anyone with a clue correct me here plz) I think there'd also be a sort of 'h' sound before the R, but that may only be if you're pronouncing the full word like "Rose de Rescht". The sch would be pretty soft though. I always thought it was a pretty name which is probably why I didn't even make the connection with retch until someone on here said it lol.
Autumn_Song
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Dark Angel wrote:
I'm pretty sure it's resht, but the c in there does make its own distinct sound and it's so hard to convey over text, ahah.

I took French classes for a few years, so (anyone with a clue correct me here plz) I think there'd also be a sort of 'h' sound before the R, but that may only be if you're pronouncing the full word like "Rose de Rescht". The sch would be pretty soft though. I always thought it was a pretty name which is probably why I didn't even make the connection with retch until someone on here said it lol.
It's French? I'm pretty sure I could figure it out it's kind of like R-hesh-t maybe?
Dark Angel
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

Autumn_Song wrote:
Dark Angel wrote:

It's French? I'm pretty sure I could figure it out it's kind of like R-hesh-t maybe?
Yeh I'm pretty sure it is French, since it's called rose de rescht in full. And yeah, you're really close. (I just looked up a pronunciation to make sure) It's like Hr-esh-t. But it doesn't really matter too much ^^ As long as you can get retch out of your head lol. Even I'm starting to see it like that aha. :lala:
FuranSuwa
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

Well I'm French and I have never heard of Rescht before and no idea how to say it neither. Actually I thought it was German, so I pronounced it Ray-sht. Glad they changed it to Lisette. Which sounds very French to me XD
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Being a Canadian living right on the border of Ontario/Quebec, I grew up around a lot of French, and 'Rescht' definitely isn't like any French I've ever heard. The only part of that that seems at all French would be the 'de' part, but...

Also being raised by professional horiculturalists, I know that the name of a plant does not always reflect the nationality of that plant or the name-giver. A Japanese botanist could breed a new hybrid and give it a name like Sophie, if they wanted. (Some cultivars are often given somewhat comical names.)

Anyway, both my knows-a-little-French and my knows-a-lot-of-plants sides were a bit bothered by all the various assumptions going on and decided to get together and find out the truth.

Having looked it up to try to find some history, the name comes from the Iranian city, Rasht, which is the capital of Gilan province. The rose has been both to and from France, so it's not completely wrong to say it is a French rose (not completely right, either) but the name 'Rescht' is definitely not French.

ORIGINALLY this rose may have been from France, where, if the theory of it's origin is correct, it was called 'Toul-les-Mois' (that's 'all of me'). It ended up being rediscovered by an English woman near Rasht in Iran years later, to eventually be brought back to the UK and reintroduced after around 1950.

Keep in mind, some of this is theory on behalf of people educated in the field, and only some of it is actual documented fact.

But yeah...not a French name. :) (Lisette sounds French to me, too, btw, where as 'Rescht' sounds like a sneeze.)
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

EDIT: the above. I did not mean to put in that translation. All of me is WRONG WRONG WRONG. I do not know what that means at all, 'toul les mois'. I have no idea what 'toul' means. Sorry, I made a mistake while editing my comment before posting it. Please don't be confused by my stupidity.
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I'm just going to put this here since I don't think it would be practical to make a second thread solely for it, so here it is: the second localization blog!
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Is it me or did they changed the text?
Spoiler:
Kross lover/fan
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

The 'i's are far apart from the other letters. Looks weird but I usually don't pay any attention to the text type. So long as I can read it, I don't really care but this one just looks...off to me :/

Not sure if they changed it or not though :shifty:
Cherubae
UNoT Dictator
UNoT Dictator

Post  Posted:

*shrug* the font looks fine to me.
Arcy
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Cherubae wrote:*shrug* the font looks fine to me.
The kerning on certain letters is way off. Lower case "i" and "l" in particular are justified left far too much, very noticeable on any word starting with "it".

Whether that's a function of the game not being done, the screenshot process (which for some reason is always suboptimal on 3DS games no matter what method is used), or something wrong with the font itself is unknown at this time, but 2/3 chances for it to be fixed in the final product isn't bad!

The font looks great to me as well, but the kerning. It will drive me nutso if it is that bad in the final build.
BigBangBaby
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

It's so nice to see the localization blog going on. I'm excited to play more files, I've been stopping myself from buying a second Japanese copy because I have marriage candidates I need to marry still ^^ My sweet Ford whom is my favorite regular candidate :heart: hopefully they translate the game well. The characters are so fun in 3oT and I would hate for them to not be translated well. Especially Inari who is my favorite character ^^. Lol I guess if it's bad I'll just end up buying another Japanese copy anyway and sell my English one ^^;

The text really doesn't bother me, but I can see that it's weirdly spaced ^^;
Still wondering if we'll get hamtaro in the US version

I'm curious if they will talk about the online feature anytime soon. I really hope they don't region lock it again because I see no reason for doing so, especially since online is so simplistic in 3oT compared to SoS. That was something that was slightly upsetting about the previous game. I don't use that function often, but I do enjoy it occasionally and seeing other players' characters is fun ^^
Blue Rose
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Font looks much improved, but still a little off in places. But muuuuuch better. Really liking the Hawaiian dialogue choices ("mahalo"). Gives it a nice touch, imo.