XSEED Games Localization Blog Discussion

Explore Lulukoko, Tsukuyusa, and Westown in this multi-cultural farming game for Nintendo 3DS. [ Game Guide ] JP release = Jun 2016. NA release = Feb 2017. EU release = Oct 2017.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I'm sorry it was such a source of frustration, for you. Perhaps if they've made it so that useless items can become more useful ones, that was their attempt at fixing multiplayer complaints, and if so, perhaps it means they did it because they intended to un-region-lock the system. I haven't heard about it, though, not at all.
BigBangBaby
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

Arcy wrote:
Kikki wrote:I heard that Japanese players didn't like foreigners on MP because they came, gave only fodder or twigs or etc, then left without tending any animals or crops. (Basically just swooping in to snag whatever gift was up for offer.) NO idea if that's true, though, as I never played MP (except with myself, lol, and I was always a good guest to me.) If it's true, that IS really bad manners, and I can't blame them for not wanting that. If it's true. :)
I heard the same thing, probably from the same person (minus the crops bit, ANB only had animals). But that's not what I'm talking about when I say "cultural differences", for the record. NA players tend to talk less, for one. Or might idle/sightsee for longer. The only equitable experience I have is on Animal Crossing's Island tour (And being a FFXI veteran,I guess? :lol: ) and you can sometimes tell the country of origin just by how a character behaves (without talking).

Anyway, the MP in this game rewards you for trading those so-called useless items to an NPC rock for a random semi-valuable item. Which is what I meant by them "fixing" that problem.

I know exactly how I feel about the attitude of shutting other people out. I hate it. I only play Multiplayer with the intention of helping other people. It is rare that I'll accept a beneficial session without trading something of equal or greater value or a vow to pay it forward.

I am beyond fine with 1 out of 10 people showing up and snagging a gift without doing anything. I'm fine with 10 out of 10 doing it. What gets my goat is having to arrange trades through weird alternate methods (like forums) because MP is just that dead. Sometimes other people can leave you hanging for an awfully long time without meaning to. I really prefer live chat if you have to arrange a trade, but it is tooth and nail getting other people to use it. Or even the same program.

Eh, enough dithering. Remember to hoard Coconuts. End of story.
Eh was that really the case ^^; because I always get the japanese game upon it's release and play it and have had numerous japanese players just take the gift and leave ^^; even in ANB I've had plenty not care for my animals and I would get weeds or some kind of junk gift. I don't think it's fair to assume only western players do that.
Arcy
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

BigBangBaby wrote:Eh was that really the case ^^; because I always get the japanese game upon it's release and play it and have had numerous japanese players just take the gift and leave ^^; even in ANB I've had plenty not care for my animals and I would get weeds or some kind of junk gift. I don't think it's fair to assume only western players do that.
Aha! Thank you. I always suspected so. Thing is, it takes a long time for NA (and later EU/AUS) to join up, so the Japanese players that are still playing then are basically... well, Japanese us, the devoted fans that play for a long time and maintain some kind of connection to the official forum, etcetera. We tend to be vocal when things make us upset, so I can just imagine them forgetting all about how people acted at launch and latching onto easily identifiable new players who act the same way. And then MP gets wrecked because they're outspoken about it.

I've ~never~ heard the ridiculous PR response about why a game's online portion "needs" to be region locked from any other company, and I do a lot of online gaming. Worse yet, there are a ton of logical better reasons to do it. Like, 3oT doesn't have Hamtaro in NA. I'm not sure if you can Soulmate a Hamtaro, but since Japan has it, and NA doesn't, would that potentially glitch a NA player's game out if they saw it? (Basically the reason you can only play Fantasy Life with others who have the same version of the game as you.) Latency issues are another potential good reason. The MMO I play right now doesn't block you from creating a character on a Japanese or EU/Oceanic server, but it's going to be like playing in molasses and freeze frame combined if you do.

I've also never had so many connection issues as I did with Story of Seasons. You'd think making them region locked would afford us a low latency local server that wouldn't mysteriously just not work half the time. I didn't have half as many issues with ANB.
Arcy
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Sorry for the DP, but does anyone have an ETA on the next blog? I know the previous ones were spread out a bit, but I'm wondering if they are going to post more in shorter timeframes now, as the game's release date is rapidly approaching.

I still can't believe they're making the placeholder date. I can't remember that happening with this series before. Kinda feel like I won't believe it until it is in hand.
cinnamon_yuki
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

It seems there's no fixed release on the localization blogs. It's quite surreal to think the game will be releasing less than a month. I really can't wait!!!
Nurylon
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

Arcy wrote: Like, 3oT doesn't have Hamtaro in NA. I'm not sure if you can Soulmate a Hamtaro, but since Japan has it, and NA doesn't, would that potentially glitch a NA player's game out if they saw it?
I remember reading somewhere that Hamtaro isn't furrmiliar-able, just able to be taken on walks. Maybe because Hammy is a 'loved' pet by all the marriage candidates?

Edit, I haven't found the source post I was thinking of, but I found this post on the same blog that mentions it as a sidenote:
Hamtaro and Cheburashka can’t be chosen as soulmate, but not that it really matters I guess, considering Hamtaro will not be available in the english version.
Arcy
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Nurylon wrote:I remember reading somewhere that Hamtaro isn't furrmiliar-able, just able to be taken on walks. Maybe because Hammy is a 'loved' pet by everyone?

Edit, I haven't found the source post that talks about Hamtaro extensively yet, but I found this post on the same blog that mentions it and soulmate.
Yep, thanks for reposting the information for others! I found it not long after making the post you quoted because of my obsessive reading/re-reading blogs habit. (Although I am pretty sure it was a different post but oh well.)
imnotabanana
Pick Potatos, not boogers
Pick Potatos, not boogers

Post  Posted:

Thanks for sharing, reading the blog was fun ^^ I can't wait ~ I also like it that they keep the Japanese translations (like keeping the original Japanese names and stuff).
GemiMini
Not the Eggplant Wizard
Not the Eggplant Wizard

Post  Posted:

About DLC:

Have to say I'm disappointed :/. I understand their reasons for potentially making the DLC free but paying for something that was free in the original is kinda... eh. As long as the bug fixes are free I'll deal with it but it's a bit of a shame to me.
centen
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

Post  Posted:

I'm glad they're upfront about the fact that, as a small business, they literally can't afford to provide the content of basically another entire game for free and what do the fans want? Some other publishers just wouldn't comment about it, and it'd be a fun surprise later that either, the DLC isn't coming, or it is coming but costing $.

I commented on their tumblr that, tbh, nothing about the free DLC is enticing enough to me that I'd be willing to pay for it. I'll be interested to see if enough other people are willing to commit to paying that they dedicate resources to localizing it anyway.
Last edited by centen on Feb 03, 2017 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arcy
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

GemiMini wrote:About DLC:

Have to say I'm disappointed :/. I understand their reasons for potentially making the DLC free but paying for something that was free in the original is kinda... eh. As long as the bug fixes are free I'll deal with it but it's a bit of a shame to me.
Added to top post!

It sucks that we have to pay for it while Japan gets it included with the base game, but I'm still willing to pay for it. The amount of content is pretty staggering, kind of like the difference between Fantasy Life and Fantasy Life Link! (which is the stuff we had to pay an extra fee for). I have no idea how to comment on Tumblr, I don't have one myself. I'll make a forum post over on XSEED forums, I guess.
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

We're talking about it here.......? http://fogu.com/hmforum/viewtopic.php?f ... 1#p5311461

Just in case people didn't see it but ignore me otherwise.
Arcy
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Shan O 123 wrote:We're talking about it here.......? http://fogu.com/hmforum/viewtopic.php?f ... 1#p5311461

Just in case people didn't see it but ignore me otherwise.
Nah, it is cool. I wasn't sure what kind of thread that was based on the topic title. I don't think it is bad to have a more focused discussion about the DLC in another thread.
RopeMaidenKirie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Actually, you make a really good point, I should probably rename that thread so people know we're talking about the DLC situation in there.
irulethegalaxy
Spinich Bodyguard
Spinich Bodyguard

Post  Posted:

Remember that games are quite a bit more expensive in Japan; that would roughly cover the cost of the DLC.

HOWEVER! If I am buying a game, I WANT THE WHOLE GAME. I'd far rather that they charged $40 for the game and gave me all the DLC. Let us pay what Japan pays; but give is what Japan got.