Seedling Vs. Veteran Mode?

Explore Lulukoko, Tsukuyusa, and Westown in this multi-cultural farming game for Nintendo 3DS. [ Game Guide ] JP release = Jun 2016. NA release = Feb 2017. EU release = Oct 2017.
gossipstone
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

I don't think I've seen anyone ask this, and I wasn't sure if this really fit into any of the current topics.

Is there much of a reason to choose seedling over veteran mode? I know it still comes with the stamina perks (and presumably the monetary ones as well), but does it affect the overall goal of the game in any other way the way it did in SoS?
Arcy
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

The shop discount can help a little I think, since you are advised to buy certain things from stores to fulfill some requirements faster, but it doesn't reduce the number of things you need to ship or hand over to the villagers as far as I know.
gossipstone
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

Arcy wrote:The shop discount can help a little I think, since you are advised to buy certain things from stores to fulfill some requirements faster, but it doesn't reduce the number of things you need to ship or hand over to the villagers as far as I know.
Thanks for the information! I'm glad to hear that 3oT doesn't seem to be the grindfest that SoS was.
modernmorphling
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

Like I have in the first Story of Seasons, I intend to start playing in Seedling mode, to make the gameplay easier for me.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Here's the guide page: http://fogu.com/sos2/basics/index.html
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Question, is the "veteran" mode basically "normal" mode, on par with the difficulty of any previous game?

I'm kind of tempted by the seedling mode since I want to buy whatever I'll need to change my hair and clothes asap (I haven't really read up on the requirements for doing these things, though). But I don't want the game to be too easy!
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Yep, Veteran is 'normal', even though it sounds kind of advanced or difficult...it's not. Seedling is what they added to make the game easier than they originally meant to, I believe when the insane special vendor requirements in SoS made people freak out. I'm slightly surprised it made a return in Trio, but am glad it did...it helps cover a bigger range of play styles, imo.
Arcy
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Because of the intense grinding in SoS, I usually describe Seedling Mode as Normal Mode and Original Mode (aka Veteran Mode) as Hard Mode. When something is too grindy for Japan, the land of Dragon Quest, and you have to make an easier mode... ya done goofed. (Lil' tongue in cheek there since I'm a big DQ fan and my first SoS save file was played through and beaten on Original Mode.)

Because 3oT doesn't have the same type of intense grinding, it is perhaps more fair to compare them them Easy Mode and Normal Mode in other games instead,. The speed of Stamina Reduction is really brutal at the start of Veteran Mode from what I can tell, but of course there are ways to gradually make that easier for yourself by doing things like eating food, completing the story goals that give you extra stamina hearts, and upgrading your tools.

As there is no penalty for picking either mode, just feel free to choose the one that more closely matches the game experience you wish to have.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Thanks guys. I didn't know SoS was so grindy, I only just got a 3DS so I still have to go back and play that one. I'll definitely go for "veteran" mode in 3oT, though!
Rancherita
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

Post  Posted:

I intend to play seedling since it doesn't affect the requirements this time around, just money and stamina, and I'm ok with that. I can't say I derive fun or pride from the grind anymore, been there, just wanna play to unwind after work.