Confused about watering and tool changing.

Explore Lulukoko, Tsukuyusa, and Westown in this multi-cultural farming game for Nintendo 3DS. [ Game Guide ] JP release = Jun 2016. NA release = Feb 2017. EU release = Oct 2017.
Linear
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

I didn't play the first SOS but noticed from videos that it seemed like you could water something, then keep walking to water crops nearby to it... But then I watch videos of Trio of Towns and I see the usual water, stop, walk, water etc... Did they seriously take it out (wouldn't be super surprised since they took out diving but...wow)?

Also from videos, probably unrelated to first SOS since I have no clue how they swapped between tools in that one, saw that in Trio of Towns that the way to switch tools seems slightly annoying, having to go into a window to choose the tool to use, so it made me wonder, is there no other way to swap tools? Thank you.
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

It's not the usual "R" button for tools?
Musashi
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

You can change tools by using the R-button menu. If you press the R button you get 3 menus: tools, seeds and items you select (this will only bring the items to your hands so you can give them to other people, for instance; if you want to use it, like eating it, you have to access the normal menu).

About watering crops. In this game you are not restricted to water the crops one by one, as in the previous game (well, you are at first :P ) At some point (it happened to me on the first spring, but it could be later if you need to upgrade your house once first, I don't remember correctly, since I upgraded my house as soon as possible) you will be able to start upgrading the tools. One of the stats you can upgrade is the area of effect of the tool (only watering can, hoe, sickle, hammer and axe) to 1x2, 2x1, 3x1, 1x3, 3x3 and 5x5. For some of them, you need first to upgrade one tool to a smaller area before they are available, but once they unlock you can upgrade your basic tool to any of them immediately without having to go one by one. My watering can is upgraded to 5x5, and also has the stat which reduces the time needed to water upgraded to the maximum, so it just takes me about 1 second to water all my crops at once.

One small thing to note about the area of effect is that the shape is not completely fixed. For instance, in my case of the 5x5 watering can. It will water the 5x5 crops around me with me at the center, but if I am not exactly centered over the central field, the square gets a bit distorted, and sometimes one of the rows becomes 4 crops long, and the row on the opposite side becomes 6, or something like that. In short, while it will water 25 fields (if they are all available), they might not be forming a square. I hated it when my watering can was 1x3 or 3x1, I don't remember, but I had to position myself carefully to water the three crops on a row in front of me, instead of watering an L shape. Now I don't care much if some corner does not get water because it takes very little time to move a bit and water crops again.
Musashi
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

Double post. Sorry.
Linear
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Musashi wrote:You can change tools by using the R-button menu. If you press the R button you get 3 menus: tools, seeds and items you select (this will only bring the items to your hands so you can give them to other people, for instance; if you want to use it, like eating it, you have to access the normal menu).

About watering crops. In this game you are not restricted to water the crops one by one, as in the previous game (well, you are at first :P ) At some point (it happened to me on the first spring, but it could be later if you need to upgrade your house once first, I don't remember correctly, since I upgraded my house as soon as possible) you will be able to start upgrading the tools. One of the stats you can upgrade is the area of effect of the tool (only watering can, hoe, sickle, hammer and axe) to 1x2, 2x1, 3x1, 1x3, 3x3 and 5x5. For some of them, you need first to upgrade one tool to a smaller area before they are available, but once they unlock you can upgrade your basic tool to any of them immediately without having to go one by one. My watering can is upgraded to 5x5, and also has the stat which reduces the time needed to water upgraded to the maximum, so it just takes me about 1 second to water all my crops at once.

One small thing to note about the area of effect is that the shape is not completely fixed. For instance, in my case of the 5x5 watering can. It will water the 5x5 crops around me with me at the center, but if I am not exactly centered over the central field, the square gets a bit distorted, and sometimes one of the rows becomes 4 crops long, and the row on the opposite side becomes 6, or something like that. In short, while it will water 25 fields (if they are all available), they might not be forming a square. I hated it when my watering can was 1x3 or 3x1, I don't remember, but I had to position myself carefully to water the three crops on a row in front of me, instead of watering an L shape. Now I don't care much if some corner does not get water because it takes very little time to move a bit and water crops again.
I don't think you understood my watering question, in videos for the other game it showed you being able to walk while watering, can you still do that in this game yes or no? It doesn't seem like you can, but it seemed weird to take it out, so that's why I ask.
Musashi
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

Linear wrote: I don't think you understood my watering question, in videos for the other game it showed you being able to walk while watering, can you still do that in this game yes or no? It doesn't seem like you can, but it seemed weird to take it out, so that's why I ask.
You can't. Once the watering animation starts you cannot move your character (for the 5x5 case, the character actually jumps and spins in the air). And I think that the reason for that is what I mention in my previous post. In the previous game, you were restricted to water the field in front of you, so allowing you water while walking made that chore faster. In this game you can water several fields at the same time, so walking it is not needed. I can provide you a different reason, more related to the programming of the game. While the shape of the watering region can change, once you press the button it gets fixed and all fields start getting water at the same rate. This means that if you have less water than fields you want to water, all fields will get some water, but none will be fully watered, instead of getting some fully watered and the rest dry. If you could move while watering, the fields affected would also change (while getting in position, a small chage of position can change the shape considerably, specially with the smaller cases like 1x3), and it would not be so easy to keep track of how much water each field gets (I think it should be doable, but probably more prone to errors than just fixing the fields that get water).
Linear
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Well alright, thank you. A bit weird how they keep changing things, because this way sounds more like the way Anb did it... But then again I also think it's weird that now they give us a beach and take away diving. -slow clap- It's like they don't think visuals, characters and story are incentive enough to play the other games so they gotta take out stuff like diving so we get "room" for tint extra features here xD; Makes me a bit sad.
OctavieKnite88
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

I was fond of being able to water while I walked. It meant I didn't have to worry about the whole having to stand in a certain area to make sure I watered where I wanted without the water getting "distorted" and watering different areas or what have you. Farming is sounding less and less intriguing, and it's already always been my least favorite part of the game. Having to put down soil plots, farm circles, and now this. What's with games and going backwards? ANB was my least favorite game, so the soil plots made me mad enough as it is.