Why does everyone like Ford?

Explore Lulukoko, Tsukuyusa, and Westown in this multi-cultural farming game for Nintendo 3DS. [ Game Guide ] JP release = Jun 2016. NA release = Feb 2017. EU release = Oct 2017.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Not criticising people's tastes, I'm just really curious, it seems like EVERYONE loves him. I lurk on a few ToT discussion sites and no one so far has had a complaint about him? I know I've seen complaints about every other bachelor though. Another thing that I think is kinda weird is that characters like Ford usually aren't popular (eg Laurent from FEA). How did he become so popular in this one? Is it crowd mentality?

If people have opinions, then I'd like to know...?
Terra575
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Actually, I've seen a lot of people rant about disliking Ford on this forum. I think he's kind of a polarising character, you either really like him or find him off-putting. But he still does have a lot of fans.
PokeFarmer
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

It's because he's a humorous dorito-face. :lol:
Yeah, just as Terra said, you either like him or you don't. I'm one of those who's kind of in the middle. He's sometimes a cool funny (bunny?), and sometimes things he say just either confuse me or don't exactly interest me. I haven't met him in game, so...
Hazysummerskies
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

Post  Posted:

There are plenty of people who dislike him. I've seen many comments of people being upset over the "superior genetics" statement he has made during festivals.

Ford has some interesting character development if you start dating him, and it is a lot of the reason why people find him appealing. The way he goes from being largely uninterested in romance to caring about the MC is super cute. He even becomes more concerned with cooking for more than just nutritional purposes, rather than taste, because he wants to make her smile. His social awkwardness in situations is amusing too.

Basically, there's an awkwardly adorable quality about him.

Regardless, like Terra said, he seems to be one of these characters without much middle ground though. People either seem to love him or to hate him, but I suppose there are exceptions.
ChaosAzerothCat
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Don't forget the Cooking Festival dialogue complaints.
Terra575
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I think some of Ford's dialogue gets lost in translation, given the very specific wording.
Nurse Fin
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I don't like him because he's too dry and socially obtuse. I think it just seems like everyone likes him because he has attracted more dedicated fans.

And it isn't really a translation issue, I dislike him equally in either language :p it's a preference thing
Last edited by Nurse Fin on May 02, 2017 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IsaacGravity
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

...I liked Laurent. He was the only one I felt worthy of being anywhere near my darling little Morgan.

Speaking as a guy though, He's 'alright' to me. His friend events were alright (maybe if he got to the point and stopped speaking over everyone's head every once in a while...). He even admits to being an oddball as you further befriend him. Got a number of his comments (like the ball of sugar). To which, like many things about this series simply wish they allowed me to answer back.

I would've simply given a tired smile and said: "You're a real butt sometimes, man." and left it there.
Hazysummerskies
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

Post  Posted:

ChaosAzerothCat wrote:Don't forget the Cooking Festival dialogue complaints.
Oh yes, that is another one people love to complain about. Honestly, that line just matches his initial mentality on cooking in my opinion.
princesszelda
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

I honestly never talk to Ford. He is so unbelievably boring. Apparently he's "super fleshed out" when you date and/or marry him but I can't see how anyone could be bothered based on how boring he is initially. I don't think I would even go through his friend events again - SO boring. All he ever says to me is "oh I have important stuff here, don't touch plz" and "I can help you if you're sick" or whatever the exact two lines are.
Hazysummerskies
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

Post  Posted:

princesszelda wrote:I honestly never talk to Ford. He is so unbelievably boring. Apparently he's "super fleshed out" when you date and/or marry him but I can't see how anyone could be bothered based on how boring he is initially. I don't think I would even go through his friend events again - SO boring. All he ever says to me is "oh I have important stuff here, don't touch plz" and "I can help you if you're sick" or whatever the exact two lines are.
I don't know why, but the way you wrote "don't touch plz" made me laugh a bit.
DazzleKitty
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

He was the last bachelor I wanted to date after seeing all the pictures (initially, like many, I was gonna go after Ludus). But I started to see his friend events and he became so awkwardly adorable and I started to like his looks more.

And some of his lines after marriage are kinda pervy without meaning to be and he embarrasses himself.
Yaichi
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

You know, I think some of it is crowd mentality. I kinda got swayed myself by seeing all the good comments on him. Currently married to him on a test file and... ehhh I don't think he's as groundbreaking as everyone says he is. He's nice, of course, but it's not the first time I've seen a character like him.
Hazysummerskies
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

Post  Posted:

Yaichi wrote:You know, I think some of it is crowd mentality. I kinda got swayed myself by seeing all the good comments on him. Currently married to him on a test file and... ehhh I don't think he's as groundbreaking as everyone says he is. He's nice, of course, but it's not the first time I've seen a character like him.
There is a possibility it could be crowd mentality for some. Opinions can be persuasive.

I've had the game since release day though, so there weren't any kind of these comments about Ford when I married him. I think the main reason I found him appealing is that his personality reminds me slightly of this guy I find cute in real life.

Plus, I've married the doctor character in most Harvest Moon games such as: Trent (FG, MFoMT), Alex (MM), and Jhin (ToT, AP) so I think I'm just attracted to the more serious archetype.
Murasaki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Pompous awkward socially-inept doofus portrait. Character looks better than his picture but still not cute. Don't really read all his yammer-jabber dialogue. It's bad enough most of my part time jobs are for him cuz of his proximity to the NPC.

I don't like/dislike any of the characters. Just a game.