How many animals should I own ideally?

Explore Lulukoko, Tsukuyusa, and Westown in this multi-cultural farming game for Nintendo 3DS. [ Game Guide ] JP release = Jun 2016. NA release = Feb 2017. EU release = Oct 2017.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

???
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

That's up to what you want, but as for what is needed...just one of each. Chewy treats will raise their byproduct amount until it hits twenty, so you're unlikely to need more than one of each type of animal.

Also, you only really need one kind of chicken...there's not really a need to own both a regular chicken, a silkie, and a quail (though chickens are so easy to take care of that if you want one of each, then why not?) Silkie eggs are worth the most, if that is a deciding factor. They also get more points than a regular chicken at festivals, though I've not yet had a problem winning with a regular chicken, even on Legend.

You have to have one of each of the specific types of eggs to make the Three Fried Eggs recipe, but there's nothing that recipe is required for. Mini Omelet and Chop Suey specifically require Quail eggs, but they are not needed for anything, either (nor are any of those recipes anyone's favourite recipe.) The 'Egg Circle' farm circle requires plain eggs, I think...but you can buy plain eggs from Bon Charme if you decided to skip out on owning a regular chicken.

Milk is the same. You only need one type of cow, unless you like making all the different products in the Dairy Maker...those require specific types of milk (probably kind of obvious that you can't use regular milk to make Jersey Cheese :) ) But the specific products aren't required for anything either, so there's no need to own more than one type of cow unless you want them. Buffaloes give the highest priced goods and get the most points at festivals afaik, but I've not yet bothered owning a buffalo as my ordinary cow has always done just fine for me.

All other animals will be needed for their fur type products when it comes to making clothing. If you are not collecting all the clothing, then you can get through the game with...hmm, I think all you would need is one cow, one chicken, and a regular (not suffolk) sheep.

Oops, no...you'll eventually need a little bit of alpaca wool and rabbit fur for Lulukoko town rank matters, I believe. Not very much though. 15 alpaca wool and 10 rabbit fur.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Iirc, you will at least need to have 2 cows once for one of the Farm Mission Quests, so there is that.
FoolishGhoul
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Like Kikki said, usually at least one of each is ideal if you're going for a minimalist stance. Aside from cows, which you need two of. I tend to usually own at least two of each kind of animal (if I can) anyways just because it's more profit. But as long as you have at least one of each, you'll be able to complete requests and town rank locks and stuff, so you should be fine. Especially with the treats system, all you'll really need is one unless you're trying to maximize profits
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

You only need to own 2 cows for a single second to fulfill that Farming Tips goal, though...you can turn around and sell that cow back on the spot, if you like, as long as for a second, you do actually own two cows at once.

Unless you're aiming to be primarily a rancher of course. If your goal is to make the majority of your money through animal products, then of course you can keep as many as you have time for. But if you're trying to minimize and only want to keep exactly what you HAVE to have to make it through the story (including getting all of the clothes)...1 type of cow, 1 type of chicken, and then one each of every other type of animal.

I played one file with only one cow, one chicken and one sheep and used multiplayer (with my own other copy of the game) for anything else I had to have. That'd work better on a NG+ file where you already have a whole bunch of clothing unlocked. That's probably not the situation here.
Meriberry
Spinich Bodyguard
Spinich Bodyguard

Post  Posted:

And you don't need it to be two identical normal cows. You can have one normal cow and then a Jersey cow to fulfill the requirement.
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Since my first sheep is almost at S for byproduct level I bought a second sheep this morning just in case I need normal wool. You could do that too.
ThatGirlRena
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

All of them.
JayDucky03
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Usually 1-2 of each is good. 1 normal and one special animal. (Like a Jersey.)
PenanggalanDoll
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Since a single animal can eventually give you a whole 20 of their byproduct in one go, yeah. One of each is more than enough in this game. It's kind of ridiculous, really.

(For the two cows, a Jersey cow counts too, but yeah, you can just buy a regular cow then sell them on afterwards.)