What are your opinions of the bachelors?

Harvest Moon: More Friends of Mineral Town for Gameboy Advance. [ Game Guide ]
starbait
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

TLDR; I'm going to be getting MFOMT for the sole purpose of connecting to DS Cute and don't know who to marry!

I just ordered a copy that'll be in my hands in 14 hours and I don't know who to marry, so I thought it'd be interesting to get other people's opinions!

When I was little I only knew of Harvest Moon de Puzzle and I thought Cliff was the cutest thing ever! The doctor was cute too! But then I read so many fanfics over the years about Gray and don't know what to do!

I don't feel very guilty about leaving a bachelorette alone, since I can just pretend the male MC will come in and sweep them off their feet, or end up with someone say another villager, or someone from FMN Valley, or the special bachelors, etc.

Honestly I bought the game for the Mineral Town bachelors to appear in DS Cute which is my favorite HM game (out of SI, TTOTT, and ANB so I guess that's not saying much), but I've heard many good things about it! I'll list my own opinions down here so you can compare your thoughts:

Cliff - In my honest opinion, I feel like Cliff is implied to be the canon bachelor. (1) Ann was the most advertised bachelorette (I know elli is the favorite and implied canon bachelorette, but I just can't see Doctor as the implied canon bachelor), (2) there are deadlines for Cliff's rival events and if you don't see them in time he will never marry Ann (I'm pretty sure), (3) you're the one who got him a job and a "family" and a home and are like his only female friend besides Ann! Though I think I might like Gray most (barely more than others though, otherwise I wouldn't be asking for people's thoughts), I also like Cliff because of your relationship with him, how cute he is, and his personality. However, I feel like his personality is also a downside: sure he's nice and cute and sweet and friendly, but he doesn't seem playful enough to suit my tastes xD

Gray - The way people characterize him is adorable, and I always have a soft spot for tsunderes (THANKS VAUGHN/VAULTS...)... But I don't know if I like how cold/edgy people paint him to be. I like to imagine he says it teasingly when he asks shouldn't you be not in his room or whatever xD Is it possible to see him as more shy/grumpy/teasing instead of cold/jerky? Well, I know it IS possible, but do you think YOU can see it that way? I just feel like I wouldn't bother cold guys irl ^^;

Doctor - Honestly, I'm not very into completely mature/serious guys. I do like older guys, who are mature, but Doctor strikes me as a kind of person who wouldn't share my sense of humor and might worry about my exaggerations (I feel like I'm dying, kill me now, etc.). He is definitely cute, though!

Rick - I don't know why and it's totally cool if you disagree but I don't find him aesthetically pleasing, especially with his angry portrait! And isn't he obsessed with chickens? What if my chickens die of old age and he gets mad at me?! What if I just wanna eat some fried chicken but he stares me down with disapproval and refuses to share our bed for like a month?!?! (I know it's just a game, but I take characters very seriously, okay? >.>)

Kai - He's kinda cute but (1) I don't wanna weigh him down and make him live in a town where everyone misunderstands him, and (2) doesn't he hang with Popuri even after you marry him? I will say though that it's sweet he mails you cookies and etc. And on a side note, I feel like he looks better with Karen (...like how Mary looks better with Harris...).

Won - I kinda have a soft spot for him, being the "normal" one of the special bachelors. However, he is definitely a cheapskate and I hear he has a crush on Karen... And I don't really like his way of dressing... And lowkey he would look better without the facial hair HAHA!

Kappa - I don't know why you would marry him! I don't even know why he agrees to marry you, when all he acts is bothered by your attention!

Gourmet - his fans say they like the challenge but I don't see another reason to pursue him! His personality doesn't exactly make up for his looks, since I'm too shallow to overlook that...
Anna_Lynn
Pick Potatos, not boogers
Pick Potatos, not boogers

Post  Posted:

Just noticed that you're a new seedling, so welcome to the Fogu Forums. :)

It's great that you'll get to experience MFOMT for the first time, especially since it's a fan favorite. This game was my first introduction to the series, and I've been replaying it again on the Wii U's VC. That being said, hopefully my opinions aren't too shallow on these characters, since I interact with them somewhat often.

Just my personal rank of favorites:
Gray>Doctor>Kai>>>Cliff>Kappa>Gourmet>>>>>Rick>Won

Gray:
Spoiler:
Such a cutie! He wasn't even the first guy I married in this game, but he just has so much development, going from a black to red heart. They must have changed his personality from FOMT, because he just seems more exasperated and irritated at his grandfather, rather than being angry or sulky with the female MC. I love how he can relate to the MC since they both were from the city, and left their old lives to go into the country and pursue a new career. Unlike the MC, he doesn't really enjoy his new life/job or learning from his grandfather, but deep down he really does want to be a great blacksmith. I love how he develops the more you befriend him; he's always saying how much a female farmer like you inspires him to work harder, as if he isn't forced to work hard enough already. He really is only tsundere and reserved at the beginning though, because after marriage he's nothing but smiles (which is a nice change).
Doctor:
Spoiler:
My first pick of a husband, and the first guy I ever married in HM! He has a somewhat lonely backstory to him that makes him seem more reserved and serious. Underneath all that, he is more easygoing and happy than what most people and villagers give him credit for. As a Doctor, he always stressed about the health of others, and I respect him for that. He has a tiny bit of low self-esteem with his lack of success on fixing Ellen's weak legs, slow progress with Jeff and Lillia's health, and even with his failed medical drinks he feeds you in heart events. Since he wants to be successful like his parents, I love that he isn't one to just give up, he'll keep studying until he's a reliable doctor. Though it does get tedious over time since he's always so driven to his work, and at times it's the only thing he will acknowledge. I love how much he watches over your child's health; he really is a good father. You have a unique pregnancy and birth scene if you marry him, which is a nice touch.
Kai:
Spoiler:
I wish I knew more about him, but he only visits every Summer, and I'm usually married before I can really get to know him. Maybe I'm blind... but I really don't know why most Mineral Town villagers hate him (but I think I sadly have an idea why...), the people in Forget-Me-Not valley actually like him and his beach shack a lot, enough to make a beach day food festival for him! His rivalry with Rick is hilarious, as Kai just comes off as being way more easygoing with life compared to Rick's view of him. He's actually pretty mature, opening up his own business and being able to travel around on his own, which is probably one of the reasons why Rick hates him (Rick being a family oriented type of guy and all). He's just so cool, casual, relaxed, and a tad bit spunky; you can tell that he can just be himself when he stays in MT. I don't really like how they paired the over-bubbly Popuri with him, but the developers probably did it for the sake of drama between him and Rick.
Cliff:
Spoiler:
Totally abandoned him the first time I played, and he decided to leave town forever. Luckily, I got him to stay on my Wii U game. I guess he seems pretty cool, but he always tells me that I'm forever in his debt, how much he loves this town, and his thankfulness for me, which isn't necessary a bad thing. While his backstory is depressing with his mother and sister, I don't really find his lack of motivation very endearing at first. For me, he always came off as that quiet, shy, "My life sucks and I'm running out of money but I'm clearly not doing anything to fix that issue" depressed church boy. I hate that in order to keep him in town, I had to get off my lazy « Mr.Gourmet's hat » to get him a job, as if this super over-friendly town wouldn't let him work part time at the bar or supermarket or something. He's fine and tolerable later on, and it's cute that he's a bit embarrassed to express his true feelings for you in front of Manna and Duke. Part of me is just salty with him as a character; I had a huge crush on his HM64 version because of how down-to-earth and badass he was with his pet bird, Cain, and then the developers more or less ruined his cool vibe he had going on with him. The worst part, is that I personally thought he was 10 times more cute and cool in IoH and SI, but it's cannon that he married Ann in those games, so he was just a normal villager.
Rick:
Spoiler:
About 10% Lillia, 10% Popuri, 15% eggs, 20% Kai, 45% chicken, and an extra 100% annoying. His conversations consist of chickens, Kai, chickens, eggs, his sickly mother, chickens, running errands, Kai, drinking with Karen at the bar, chickens, Kai (somehow) being a bad influence on the way Popuri acts, Popuri being too immature, and more chickens. I feel like he's way too hotblooded and headstrong, trying to be the town hero, when he's really just being a dumb"donkey", so-to-say. He has the most obnoxious obsession with Kai... at this point, I don't even know why he hates him so much! Yeah, I understand he wants to "protect" his sister, but from what exactly?! Honestly, Kai's just as safe as the rest of the villagers, and Popuri's the one who voluntarily visits him, because she enjoys listening to his travel stories. I hate how most of his heart events either deal with chickens, eggs, or his disrespect for his father leaving to help cure Lillia. He does have a good heart, but he just doesn't know how to place it half of the time. Even Karen thinks he's a complete fool at times.
Kappa:
Spoiler:
He has such a way with words! He's so cute, and tiny, and green, and huggable. I fell in love with Kappas thanks to Animal Crossing, so I have a bit of a soft spot for cute little Kappa. The only reason that he's so far down the list, is because he takes so long to marry, and he almost never visits after marriage. Plus, I always forgot to tell the Harvest Goddess that Kappa was my favorite bachelor, so that automatically locked me out of marriage with him anyways. He's probably besties with my MC, since I give him way too many cucumbers during the year. I've even fished him up once randomly... I didn't even know that was possible, but it happened.
Gourmet:
Spoiler:
Ugh, if only he wasn't such a challenge! I swear, you need to have a teleport stone, and a ton of Elli leaves in order to be able to marry him by, like year 20 at the earliest. I was always so terrible at the cooking contests, let alone collecting all 108 recipes. I wished he lived with you, but it makes sense to have him travel the world as a gourmet. Don't know how the MC gets pregnant without him around; maybe she realized how dangerous it is to be "porking" with an 800lbs, 12 inch-wide mouth man, so she cheated on him with the mailman or something. He always made me laugh at the cooking contests, with, G O O D, or B A D, appearing over his head while casually consuming the villagers disasters or masterpieces.
Won:
Spoiler:
He's a Annoying Shallow Salesperson, an « Mr.Gourmet's hat » as I like to call his title. I've hated him since day 2, where he stopped by to sell his apples or something. Told him that I didn't want his fruit, and he called me a poor, unwealthy girl. Saw that event with Karen at his shop, so apparently Claire is now like a 3/10 compared to Karen's attractiveness in his shallow eyes. He only values expensive valuable stuff, and would probably try to sell your kid on eBay, or something stupid like that. Never really seemed like he was all that into the MC, or married life anyways. By the time you marry him, I don't think he actually feels any love toward you at all. His sole purpose is selling me dog balls, SUGDW apples, the occasional bag of seeds, and letting me sell my useless bottles of Van's favorite thing.
Well I feel like I painted some of the bachelors in a bad light, but these are just my own opinions. Hopefully I didn't sway your final choice too much, since it's the rules to not specifically convince or tell someone who to marry. Once you start playing, you'll soon see what characters you prefer to talk to more, which might sway your choices once again. Good luck with the game! :)
starbait
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Dear Anna_Lynn,

Thank you for replying, and replying so soon! Don't worry about painting any character in any light, I wanted your opinion! And I'm so happy you shared your thoughts with me (:

Actually playing the game, I've noticed things like that Cliff is so quiet, Gray is actually really really cute and not tsuntsun, and that everyone goes to bed so darn early! Iirc, the other games' buildings close at midnight or when no one is inside, but you can't talk to Doctor or elli after 4! What is this... But I like the game and its characters! Anyways, thank you for replying (:
Cherubae
UNoT Dictator
UNoT Dictator

Post  Posted:

UNoT Forum Rules wrote: » Why was my post locked?
There are several reasons why a post would be locked.

- Asking for others to play your game: If you don't have the ability to make your own decisions and must ask the other forum members who you should marry, what to name your cows, etc., the topic will be locked. The game's adventure is for you to decide and no one else.