* Rules    * Login 

* Search  * Register
It is currently Apr 23, 2018 1:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Anonymous Fish
  Post subject: Voice Acting: Yay or nay?
Post Posted: Jan 09, 2018 1:20 pm 
Anonymous Fish

Zelda finally had a voice acted game after years of fans arguing, so I got to thinking about other games that could make the 'leap' to voice acting.

Rune Factory is voiced and Innocent Life was too iirc, but the main games aren't. I don't know which game introduced it - I think it was AWL - but all we have are character voice clips. Fully voiced lines aren't a thing. The closest I can recall (if you can call it that) is Karen singing in BTN.

So, would you guys mind voiced characters or not? Maybe not every line, but important cutscenes and such as.

Kam
Post Posted: Jan 09, 2018 1:37 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

the little grunts and such from grand bazaar were pretty cute. it's be nice if they brought that back, with the possible addition of mostly or fully voiced random events and important cut scenes (not tutorials). having every line be voiced would be kind of pointless since everyone just says the same things over and over and after awhile most people probably just speed through the daily niceties anyway

FoolishGhoul
Post Posted: Jan 09, 2018 2:51 pm 
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

I really like how they did voice acting in RF4, so if they brought that to the HM/SoS games I'd like that a lot. The characters just saying some short words or phrases, but not necessarily saying what they were speaking. So like a character would say "alright!" when the text was them talking about how excited they were for something. That I think worked out really well. Even just small grunts or noises were nice. Nothing over the top but just enough so that you can kind of hear what their voice is like when you read what they say in your head.

On the other hand, not saying anything at all doesn't necessarily bother me either. Yeah I think it would be a nice addition to the games sure, but if we needed to cut something else out in order to get that I'd opt against it. It's not something that's necessary for these games imo

Lin
Post Posted: Jan 09, 2018 10:02 pm 
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

I rather have no voices at all... Some voices make me like some characters less xD -coughKielcough-

Robinstar
Post Posted: Jan 10, 2018 7:06 am 
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

I think the Rune Factory series handled the voice acting pretty well. Repeated sounds could get annoying, but nothing that drove me too crazy.

But as for the Bokujō Monogatari series... Well, in some cases, the voices were fine and fitting to the characters, but there's a few characters who I love until I'd hear their voices. Dan in Magical Melody and Angelo in Grand Bazaar are the first to come to mind for that. I already hear voices in my head for each character based on thei looks, so when something like THAT comes out, it messes with me. They so don't always fit. If Angelo was fully voiced with that voice, I don't know if I'd be able to marry him at all anymore. So I'd rather not have to worry about falling in love with a character and then their voice ruining it.

There's also that weird thing in AnWL where two different voices can come from one character... What happened there?

Also, I can't remember voices from Innocent Life. I haven't played it for long periods of time either though, so whatever.

Panda Parfait
Post Posted: Jan 10, 2018 11:11 am 
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

I don't like the voice acting in BotW and I don't want something similar in this series tbh. I'm cool with little voice clips like they've done before, but I wouldn't want fully voiced scenes. I just don't think it's needed in every game and I feel like it could very easily veer into being kind of terrible.

Celestrian
Post Posted: Jan 10, 2018 11:48 am 
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

I'd rather not but if they absolutely must include it I hope they don't pick actors as bad as the ones in Rune Factory 2. I also wasn't really that fond of Botw voice acting but I didn't hate it either

copernicusmaximus
Post Posted: Jan 10, 2018 1:26 pm 
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

No thank you, the text is already repetitive. Even RF4 made me dislike some characters because of voice acting, and those were only tiny clips. (Sorry Vishnal, no way I'm marrying you if you're voiced by Vic Mignogna!)

Sanne
Post Posted: Jan 10, 2018 9:23 pm 
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

I'd appreciate it, but would prefer they'd spend the money on other assets.

The rune factory series and a(n)wl handled the voice acting well imo.

Mecha-Lollipop
Post Posted: Jan 11, 2018 12:35 pm 
Pick Potatos, not boogers
Pick Potatos, not boogers

All the voice acting! And better music. I play most games with the sound off because the music is annoying. If there's good voice acting I get much more into a game. In frontier I picked my wife based on who had the cutest voice.

Meriberry
Post Posted: Jan 11, 2018 2:49 pm 
Spinich Bodyguard
Spinich Bodyguard

Voice acting tends to be a pretty sharp hit or miss, specially with games that have repeating dialogue. The little noises from MM were funny, but at the same time, some of them were just the strangest. RF4 did okay, but even there it had times of "Why?"

So, personally, I'd go with no.

Mikodesu
Post Posted: Jan 11, 2018 7:18 pm 
New Seedling
New Seedling

Personally I'm incredibly picky with voice acting so the likelihood it would ever be satisfying is...absolute zero.

BUT. If we're 'wishful thinking' here, if Nintendo would warm up to the idea of mods...maybe there could be a fan-made voice acting mod? Saves money in the budget and it could make people happy I think.

Nightlight
Post Posted: Jan 11, 2018 8:58 pm 
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Most of the dub work I've heard from XSeed has been, at the very least, satisfactory, IMO, so I think I'd like it very much if Marvelous added in some RF style voice acting. Heck, I think I'd be perfectly fine if they went a step further and made all the Heart Events completely voice acted (though, I feel like that'd may be too much for some people.)

Kross lover/fan
Post Posted: Jan 13, 2018 6:44 pm 
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Indifferent?
I sometimes like it but I also usually have the volume off unless it’s a console game :/
I did love it in RF4 however in MM I hated those weird grunts/moans they did. You shouldn’t have to groan that much to water one crop; or if it is, maybe you shouldn’t be a farmer ^^’
I don’t recall watering my houseplants and having to grunt “mmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!” :lol:
That’s my opinion though.

Last edited by Kross lover/fan on Jan 14, 2018 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FoolishGhoul
Post Posted: Jan 14, 2018 6:13 am 
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

I feel like if they did decide to implement voice acting, they should make it optional. I can't recall if it has been in past games with it, but I feel like for those people that are really picky with it and may not like it they should be able to turn it off. I'm not really picky at all (my only one I couldn't stand was Dan from MM) so I wouldn't mind having it but at the same time, not dying for VA either so it wouldn't make a difference to me if it was on or not.

However, reading posts, it seems people that are against it are STRONGLY against it while those who do want it aren't usually gung-ho about it so I feel like it'd be easier to just not have it at all imo