What type of HM player are you? (How do you make your income

SNES, HM64, BTN, STH, A Wonderful Life, Another Wonderful Life, AWL:SE, Magical Melody, Puzzle de HM, Tree of Tranquility, Animal Parade, Frantic Farming, Hero of Leaf Valley, My Little Shop, Seeds of Memories, Lil' Farmers, Light of Hope, Popolocrois: SoS, and Doraemon: SoS.
ChaosAzerothCat
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Honestly between the RNG and how hard it forces you to forage, Trio makes me unreasonably bratty levels of enraged at foraging which is a shame because some of those are good for cooking.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

[quote="FaerieFarm"]
AWL my money maker was cows. I would only plant things to cook food or influence my son[/quote]

I was replaying AWL recently and I've noticed how troublesome cows are. When I was younger I guess I didn't get attached to cows much so I'd sell them willy-nilly, but I hate giving away my cows. Yet, you need to breed your cows every few seasons and you only have a limited amount of space for animals. I got stuck in a rut where my original cow needed to be bred again but her daughters were either too young or were pregnant, so there's a long period where I only had my goat (which can't be sold for whatever reason) for milk.

Chickens are way easier to take care of in AWL, even if they're not as cute. Ducks though? Bunk. After 10+ years I finally get ducks in my pond and I find out they're just less useful chickens,
Nightlight
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

Usually, my big money makers are animals and mining, with fishing being the activity I do the least.
Icewings
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I tend to do mostly crops with as many animals as I need for crafting- usually one of each
FaerieFarm
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

Post  Posted:

Anonymous Fish wrote:
FaerieFarm wrote: AWL my money maker was cows. I would only plant things to cook food or influence my son
I was replaying AWL recently and I've noticed how troublesome cows are. When I was younger I guess I didn't get attached to cows much so I'd sell them willy-nilly, but I hate giving away my cows. Yet, you need to breed your cows every few seasons and you only have a limited amount of space for animals. I got stuck in a rut where my original cow needed to be bred again but her daughters were either too young or were pregnant, so there's a long period where I only had my goat (which can't be sold for whatever reason) for milk.

Chickens are way easier to take care of in AWL, even if they're not as cute. Ducks though? Bunk. After 10+ years I finally get ducks in my pond and I find out they're just less useful chickens,
That's what I like about AWL though. The realistic cow lactation since they have to get pregnant/give birth to give milk and have a steadily decreasing lactation curve until they go dry and have to give birth again. It made me really fall in love with my cows because of how much focus and attention I needed to give them everyday.

My usual strategy is to buy a Miracle Potion for my starter cow on the first day of the game so she'll give birth 33 days later and be fresh for Chapter 2. I usually keep 4 cows (one of each breed) so I have 3 empty stalls to cycle pregnant cows through. The milk and money is always flowing :) There is also little details like Marble Milk making better cheese and Brown Milk makes better butter. Unless everything is S rank, then the quality will always be good cheese/butter.

Chickens are more user friendly since they'll give you eggs as long as they're healthy and require no feeding if left outside so they're good supplemental income at the beginning of the game. And you're totally right about the Ducks. They don't even lay eggs. Only having them exist on your farm will give the chance that a chicken egg will hatch into a duck. So for the most part, I view them only as pets. Ducks can also be good ranching influence for your son. For example, I found that Gustafa's toddler son is terrified of all animals except the cat, baby chicks,...and the female duck. Meanwhile while I was married to Muffy, my son hated all birds except the male duck (oddly specific).
Getaris
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I assumed you were meant to raise and sell the ducks.

Like with bulls and roosters.
Kross lover/fan
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

For me I keep almost everything balanced.
I usually have one of each animal (besides chickens; I have two or more of those)

When my character wakes up, I plant/harvest/water crops.
Then I take care of my animals.
After that I go foraging (while also talking to any villagers I happen by)
If I need to upgrade my tools/need extra cash then I go to the mines.

I don’t usually fish though unless it’s winter/required.
I also avoid cooking unless I have to, even though in some games it sells well.

After all of that, I sell whatever I don’t need/have left over.
Ichkampfe
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

I like to fish all seasons (mainly because I can use Duolingo while I wait for a fish to bait), but mostly in Summer and Fall do I fish everyday. I seldom grow crops, and I got rid of my cows because of the 8-10 hearts low quality milk. Sheep and horses are my only animals (no chickens(.

Mining during the winter in MM is a once a week activity.
Getaris
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Ichkampfe wrote:I like to fish all seasons (mainly because I can use Duolingo while I wait for a fish to bait), but mostly in Summer and Fall do I fish everyday. I seldom grow crops, and I got rid of my cows because of the 8-10 hearts low quality milk. Sheep and horses are my only animals (no chickens(.

Have you considered playing a fishing game instead? :lol:

Here's where I plug my favorite fishing game: Fishing Resort for DSiWare. Totally recommend it to everyone.
Robinstar
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Getaris wrote:
Ichkampfe wrote:I like to fish all seasons (mainly because I can use Duolingo while I wait for a fish to bait), but mostly in Summer and Fall do I fish everyday. I seldom grow crops, and I got rid of my cows because of the 8-10 hearts low quality milk. Sheep and horses are my only animals (no chickens(.

Here's where I plug my favorite fishing game: Fishing Resort for DSiWare. Totally recommend it to everyone.
Totally sounds like a fishing game is needed.

There's also the sister series to Harvest Moon. Legend of the River King. Or just River King. Depends. They're not very well known and most of them were never even published outside of Japan, but a few of them were and they're not bad. You can definitely see the that they're related to Harvest Moon when you look at them. There's also some with a different name that are about the ocean instead, but I don't recall any of them getting out of Japan.
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

It depends on the game. If there’s a money maker crop like flax in SoS or yams in ANB I’d focus on that.

For ToTT there was the rice trick and I remember buying stacks of rice and cooking it before shipping it. In 3oT I mostly have animals.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Getaris wrote:

Can we just can a new freaking River King game already? Mystic Valley came out in 2008.

IT'S BEEN TEN YEARS, HOLY.
Getaris
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

There's an alternate universe where Sunshine Islands was the last Harvest Moon, and River King got split into River King and Tale of Fishing.

And there's a sudden surge of indie fishing RPGs, thanks to the success of a game named Cape Moonmist.
Ichkampfe
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Getaris wrote:

I checked out the description of Fishing Resort, and it definitely looks interesting to me. I was hoping for a more in-depth fishing experience today while playing MM, and I will most likely buy Fishing Resort soon.
Ichkampfe
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Robinstar wrote:
Getaris wrote:

Totally sounds like a fishing game is needed.

There's also the sister series to Harvest Moon. Legend of the River King. Or just River King. Depends. They're not very well known and most of them were never even published outside of Japan, but a few of them were and they're not bad. You can definitely see the that they're related to Harvest Moon when you look at them. There's also some with a different name that are about the ocean instead, but I don't recall any of them getting out of Japan.
I thank both of you for your input as I was thinking earlier today actually that a more in-depth fishing experience would be too hard to implement. I will check out more into the wonderful world of Natsume, and fishing games.