Light of Hope: Steam version impressions/discovery thread

SNES, HM64, BTN, STH, A Wonderful Life, Another Wonderful Life, AWL:SE, Magical Melody, Puzzle de HM, Tree of Tranquility, Animal Parade, Frantic Farming, Hero of Leaf Valley, My Little Shop, Seeds of Memories, Lil' Farmers, Light of Hope, Popolocrois: SoS, and Doraemon: SoS.
Getaris
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Ok so the game is finally out on steam, so here's a thread for people to share their impressions of the game.

I played through the first three days of the game, my first impressions are generally good.

Let's see...
  • You end up unconscious on the island, somehow, Nova rescues you and then Jeanne helps you get installed and gives you the farming tutorial.
  • The game doesn't entirely control exactly like SoM, to move using touch you can tap the place the and the character will go there as usual, but if you tap and hold then you change to an on-screen analog control which takes a bit of travel on the screen to get the character running. I really wish it needed less dragging to get the character running.
  • The graphics are a bit mixed, they look perfectly fine in motion, but furniture and stuff tends to look a bit pixelated up close.
  • I can't visit it yet, but the journal keeps a record for the lowest floor you've reached in the mine, which means it's like the one in SoM instead of the 3DS games.
  • The town is relatively small, but rather nice looking, specially compared to the ones in previous games.
  • There's a lot of blocked off paths, right now I can only visit the lighthouse, the town, and my farm.
  • It seems I did a bit sequence breaking by accident, when the game asked me to talk to Jeanne to get an axe, I accidentally found Sally and the game continued as if I had talked to Jeanne first, which confused me at first.
  • Sam's frilly collar clips though his chest. I don't remember it doing that in stv.
I'll mention more details as I get the chance to play more.

Edit:
  • Time doesn't seem to advance indoors.
  • You can check the requirements of any building that can be fixed from the get go.
  • The whistling soundfont they use in some songs is baaaad.
Last edited by Getaris on Nov 14, 2017 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LeBurns
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Been wondering why there isn't an official thread for this game yet. Or are those just for the mobile games?

From what I see, and read, $30 is a little steep when there are similar games out there and others I know are being developed.

I think I just never grew attached to the Natsume characters since they've taken the reins of HM. Not for lack of trying ... they just never clicked with me, nor the new art style. But that's more personal taste than anything being wrong with their games.

I do like what they've done with the tool usage now. Much easier.

But I'll keep watching this one for now.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

thank you for making this thread! i'm sure it will be very helpful :)
midnighttherabbit
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

It seems very similar to Island of Happiness atm? At least that’s what I’m finding.

I’ve unlocked the mine but can’t use it yet because I don’t have a hammer, and I almost died of eye strain when I looked in the goddess pond sjskskskskks

Atm I’m kinda enjoying it? It IS quite a lot of money for what it is and, though I’m only on spring 11th, I kinda feel like I’ve been left to my own devices which is... bad because I’m useless skskkssl

Edit: Okay I got sick of it pretty quickly and realised that the price was waaay too much for what it was, and on top of that something about the graphics gave me terrible eye strain. I'd rather just play IoH and Stardew Valley at the same time lmao... Anyway I requested a refund because I could use that £20 for literally anything else.
ChaosAzerothCat
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

I actually REALLY want this but SUPER broke... :(
Anna_Lynn
Pick Potatos, not boogers
Pick Potatos, not boogers

Post  Posted:

Oof. Sounds like this entry has been a "cry for help" so far to the Harvest Moon series, and it's not living up to its full potential of hype, excitement, and worth of money. So far it's features don't appeal to me, with the graphics, controls, and music being grating to endure. My poor vision would not appreciate the visual aspects of the game, especially if people are having eye stains from playing. :oops:

I doubt I'll buy it anytime soon, if ever. It doesn't sound like a bad game...though there's probably over 30 different farming simulation games out there I could be playing instead that would be more up my alley. At least there's (possibly) a mine with floors? No lie, that might be the only feature that has me excited with the game, lol.
Getaris
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Got to the mine. It seems virtually unchanged from Seeds of Memories. Except with checkpoints every ? Levels you can return to for quicker access.

Also there's both requests and gifting. Requests seem to be sent to you via your mail box, instead of being triggered by talking to the character.

I completed one and the percentage on the records screen is still 0% so that means there's more than 100 requests at least.
Last edited by Getaris on Nov 14, 2017 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothership
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

I am really enjoying it so far :) Controls were a bit hard to manage until I started using a controller..doing that made things so much easier.
I'm only on Spring 13 of year one but I think I'm making good progress restoring the town. Anyways, I think this game is a lot of fun :)
Wadjyt
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

Personally I think it’s cute and am enjoying playing it. However for all the things they recycled from their last few games I expected much better, it seems like a rushed job. I also agree with most people about the price, so far it is worth half only what they charged. Here’s hoping I can change this review when It’s been out for a while. :lala:

If anybody has gotten dewey please tell me when and where they did cause so far he hasn’t been complying with my fishing spree.
Getaris
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

The requests seem to follow very similar story threads to those in STV.

So far, I've received quests from Jeanne wanting to make herbal medicine, from Sam wanting things for his wife and kid, Sally who wants to capture the sprites, Doc, who wants materials for his inventions.

Upgrading the tools takes a lot of materials and money.
Kross lover/fan
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

welp....I’m not strong.
Despite all of my neh-saying I just got a steam card, so I’ll try this game when I get home -_-
I’m weak minded when it comes to hm/sos games.
*sigh*
Hopefully this will cure my farming itch for a little while....
I really need to learn how to say no to video games :shock:
Lin
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

Only watched a gameplay stream of it so far and it looks really bad to me. I'm really confused why they used "portraits" (I mean not exactly portraits but...Not sure how to say it) but like...awful ones. I wish they were drawings instead because the character models are very ugly and the facial expressions are horrible too, they just look silly and I mean in a cringy way. :/ The tutorial treats you like you're 5 years old. The music is probably my least favorite part. The tool thing is cool, unlocking parts of the map is kind of cool too although the materials needed for repair sometimes make no sense and it makes the developers seem really lazy and lacking in imagination. There's no way I can buy this unfortunately, kind of wish I could support Natsume but on the other hand I don't want to support this game. They should probably charge no more than 10$ for this but 3/5$ seems more fair. 30$ (or 28$ with discount) is kind of insulting. But doesn't matter I guess... I mean it is a bit sad but I don't have to buy it. Also it's a lazy port, you can tell the Steam version is meant for mobile because of a moving mechanic that stayed in the PC version as well as "tap the screen" in the beginning.
Getaris
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I really don't get what's wrong with adding instructions for the touch screen controls in a game that supports touch screen controls (and is clearly designed for them).

I guess maybe they should've made it check for the input method being used and change the text using that.

The game also shows you what each gamepad button does even if you aren't using one.
Last edited by Getaris on Nov 14, 2017 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I even don’t know how steam works....

But maybe I’ll try it somehow.
Kross lover/fan
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

^
Steam is a little confusing (I only recently got into it myself)

It’s kind of like a store where you can buy some online games. You download their app and then buy/play the games you want.

I simply googled Steam and went from there lol.