Bokumono for Switch: What you would like to see?

SNES, HM64, BTN, STH, A Wonderful Life, Another Wonderful Life, AWL:SE, Magical Melody, Puzzle de HM, Tree of Tranquility, Animal Parade, Frantic Farming, Hero of Leaf Valley, My Little Shop, Seeds of Memories, Lil' Farmers, Light of Hope, Popolocrois: SoS, and Doraemon: SoS.
JayDucky03
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Shan O 123 wrote:Teenage children.
This would be really fun! Raising kids all the way is one of the reasons I love AWL so much.
TheMaddestHatter
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

I have so many wants for a switch game. Where do I even begin?

For a long time I always thought that a great marriage of games would be between AP and AWL. There are so many great details in AP that I adore:
Going on walks with the family
The variety of pets you befriend around town
The mines
The pictures
Two kids
Nice, not overly complicated customization

And then there's AWL where your child grew to adulthood and the town aged, something I'd love to be brought back but I think I'm in the minority in that regard...and I doubt it's something that would ever return. But I liked watching the life cycle in AWL and the changes that came to Forget-Me-Not and would love to see what they could do with that concept on the Switch with updated features.

Also festivals that felt more like all-day events than singular quick events like they've become in recent games. I like how in AP you can come and go to the festival and it's still there whether it's happening or they're setting up. ToT I think may have been like that too, but I can't remember -- but it did have mini-games which was awesome.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

This will probably sound vague and rather whiny, but a new art-style or something along those lines. I used to be REALLY into HM but within the last decade it's lost me. I probably sound like a grumpy nostalgic fan but I don't like the aesthetic anymore. It looks great, it would be fine in any other series, but it's just not 'Harvest Moon' enough. It's too bright and everyone is so dang pretty. I understand that the games need to modernize with the times, but other series modernize without such major changes. The character designs became more.... bishoujo (?) around IOH or TOT. HM characters were always pretty and somewhat babyfaced but they had a more of rural American/Britain look to them, I suppose, in the earlier titles.

Another thing would be rival events and rival children, who age up to at least their teens. I'd like something AWL-esque but without the death. I want to see character designs age, the kids grow up and develop as characters, and maybe your kid can help around the house when they're older.

A more simple plot. No having to save a village, no having sections of the town cut off. I just want to farm, fish, and get married. The only game where I've enjoyed the extra stuff was MM, and even then it's a chore to get the friendship-based notes. I'd rather focus on the characters and character development then on an actual plot besides "Save your grandpa's farm". Others might like it, but I prefer basic sandbox stuff where I don't have to worry about convoluted things like that one quest in AP where you need to ring the town bell using a contraption that involves like 7 different things.

Japan is less focused on things like diversity than some other countries, but I'd like more diversity to the character designs. We've only had one fat bachelor/ette and that was in a RF game. I want more designs besides cookie-cutter cutie Japanese and white characters.

More animals and more fish to fish. Maybe I can have a fish farm as well where I breed and sell fish?

Portraits. I KNOW the next game will be a fully 3D game like AWL, STH, and TOT and those don't have portraits, but I really like portraits. They're not needed anymore but they're just so nice. Think of Persona and how it uses portraits.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

I forgot to mention same-gender marriage. This is something obvious however the games never use them. Most other life sims have same-gender romance but in 20 years HM has never done it, besides a Japanese-only element in Cute. I don't know how they'd do it - everyone is bi ala The Sims or just have a few select characters be marriageable no matter your gender/only if you're of a certain gender ala Fire Emblem - but I just want it in.
Dark Desert Rose
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

I know this topic is a little old, but I haven't been able to find anyone else talking about this. A lot of my ideas are similar to everyone else's, but I want to give my own two cents. Generally, the main console BokuMono games are in, like, a different realm than the handheld games, so I'm really hoping they don't do a port or something like that. It's kind of long, but here's my list:

1) BETTER MINING. A lot of people agree with this. Old school mining, from games like BTN or FoMT, was the best in my opinion. BUT, I wouldn’t mind the mining system from Animal Parade, with a few changes: either get rid of the refining system or the mine gasses. Having both just made mining tedious for me. Let me mine without worrying about consequences or just let the materials be my reward for getting through.

2) Rival Marriage and children. I don’t see the point of rival marriage if there aren’t going to be extra characters you can unlock, but I do like the thought that the town is growing up along with you. Being the only one that ever gets married was always kind of unrealistic and boring to me. Animal Parade’s rival kids were awesome looking. I also think that special marriage candidates should make a return if this is implemented, so you can get all of the rival children without stopping one from existing.

3) Less customization. I’m actually surprised that a lot of other people feel this way. I would LOVE to continue to customize my character, but customizing the entire farm or even town is too much. That’s what bothered me about ANB, it felt a little too much like Animal Crossing: New Leaf where I was the only one paying for the public works projects. Just give me a barn and coop that I can upgrade, maybe even let me choose where to put them… but I don’t want to have to build like 7 of them just to have more than 4 animals.

4) More events. More townspeople development, more heart events, more rival events. I like how 3oT brought heart events back. I’m currently playing a New Game + in Animal Parade and having the person just come to your house a few times and suddenly confessing their love is kind of shallow and 2D to me. I would really love if the system from, I think it was Tides of Destiny, returned. You could get everyone’s hearts up to a certain point, see all of their events, and then continue onto the romantic events with the person you decide to date. I also think having the dating system from RF4 would be great, where you could actually take the person on dates whenever you wanted to. Speaking of RF4, I like the idea of having event cues as well. Like, all the people involved would talk about the event so you know it’s happening. It just made it more immersive.

5) Your kids. Please, let them look like they actually belong in the family :lol: Customization makes it harder, but if you make a dark skinned character who marries another dark skinned character, especially in SOS and ANB (I think), the child is just some random White kid because they look like the default MC. They kind of fixed that in 3oT by making the kid look just like your spouse, but still. I don’t design videogames, but I feel like adding a random number generator type of thing to determine what your child looks like wouldn’t be that difficult since that’s basically what people use for random NPCs in other games (like the random characters you don’t create in The Sims). What I mean is, the game can pool features that you chose for your character and those that your spouse has, then randomly combine features to create your child. Even if it’s on a default base; adding hair, skin, and eye color would be simple. I also like the idea of determining your child’s personality based on events or questions, like in Animal Parade. Having your kid grow up like in AWL would be cool, but I don’t want to die at the end of the game again.

6) This one is kind of nitpicking, but PLEASE stop certain dialogue after a while. I mentioned that I'm playing Animal Parade again, and I absolutely HATE that everyone keeps talking about the bells ringing. It's nice to have them mention it during the storyline because it's like the events are actually happening, but to keep talking about it 2 years later is annoying. You have to talk to them 4 times before they'll mention you getting married yesterday but they'll talk about those bells that chimed years ago like it just happened :roll:
Getaris
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

If they make the customized main character have a family (parents, siblings, etc) again, they should give them your character's color scheme too.
Robinstar
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Dark Desert Rose wrote:4) More events. More townspeople development, more heart events, more rival events. I like how 3oT brought heart events back. I’m currently playing a New Game + in Animal Parade and having the person just come to your house a few times and suddenly confessing their love is kind of shallow and 2D to me. I would really love if the system from, I think it was Tides of Destiny, returned. You could get everyone’s hearts up to a certain point, see all of their events, and then continue onto the romantic events with the person you decide to date. I also think having the dating system from RF4 would be great, where you could actually take the person on dates whenever you wanted to. Speaking of RF4, I like the idea of having event cues as well. Like, all the people involved would talk about the event so you know it’s happening. It just made it more immersive.

5) Your kids. Please, let them look like they actually belong in the family :lol: Customization makes it harder, but if you make a dark skinned character who marries another dark skinned character, especially in SOS and ANB (I think), the child is just some random White kid because they look like the default MC. They kind of fixed that in 3oT by making the kid look just like your spouse, but still. I don’t design videogames, but I feel like adding a random number generator type of thing to determine what your child looks like wouldn’t be that difficult since that’s basically what people use for random NPCs in other games (like the random characters you don’t create in The Sims). What I mean is, the game can pool features that you chose for your character and those that your spouse has, then randomly combine features to create your child. Even if it’s on a default base; adding hair, skin, and eye color would be simple. I also like the idea of determining your child’s personality based on events or questions, like in Animal Parade. Having your kid grow up like in AWL would be cool, but I don’t want to die at the end of the game again.
I apologize, but I can't just not correct these.

Saying that 3oT brought heart events back is kinda incorrect. There have been 5 games between AP and 3oT and GrB, ToTT, ANB, and SoS all had heart/flower events. HoLV is kinda different. Don't know if anything there counts as heart events. But heart events have not been missing. AP is actually kinda odd without heart events, but plenty still happens. 2 gifts, then you get to go on dates at 5 hearts, then a love letter, then the love confession. I love how ToTT also lets you go on dates with chances of triggering flower events while on them.

Also, you do not just get some white kids in SoS. They look like your spouse just like in 3oT. Most of the spouses are white though... So more colorful spouses would've been nice. It's just Nadi.

Back on topic, I actually think it'd be nice if you can customize your kid like you do with your character. They can still have their default look if you like it, but you could change whatever doesn't look right. We can change our kid's clothing in AP, so why not go further than that? Really don't know why we haven't been able to change our kid's outfits in the 3DS games... That dress does not look so great on my daughter in 3oT.

And as for the rest of the character's family, if they ever do that again, it would be nice if something could be done about their appearance as well. I mean, my extremely albino-like-a-rabbit character kinda stood out from the rest of the family. So does my new pink-haired, turquoise-eyed one.
SurvivorTAR
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

When do you think will we see it on Switch? I hope this year since it was supposed to be in development when the console was presented.

And, What I would like the most is having great graphics, realistic and 1080p.
Getaris
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

They didn't really say anything about it being already in development back then, as far as I know
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

[quote="Getaris"]They didn't really say anything about it being already in development back then, as far as I know[/quote]

You're right, but it was supposed to be planned at least.

https://i.redd.it/59qd0cqx6jby.png
white66
Pick Potatos, not boogers
Pick Potatos, not boogers

Post  Posted:

It is listed as a future Switch title though isn't it? So we will see it at some point.
Trurotaketwo
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

Personally, I'd like a branching story, like in Hero of Leaf Valley. Maybe also something that you need a certain amount of money to win the game. So that it feels worthwhile to keep working, even after upgrading your house to the stork-ready stage. By that point, I usually don't bother working as hard to make money, so more incentive to earn more cash would be a welcome addition.

Features I'd like include the ability to buy new plots of land, like in Magical Melody coupled with the farm customization from HMDS. Again, this gives you more to do with your money after upgrading your house.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

white66 wrote:It is listed as a future Switch title though isn't it? So we will see it at some point.
I'd guess that it's in development right now, but not enough to show off. It's probably a new engine so development might take a little longer than usual. I don't know if we'll see it at say, E3, but maybe something like TGS.

Who knows though. It could also be a random page in Famitsu one of these days. Waiting is hard, but it'll show up eventually.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

[quote="SurvivorTAR"]When do you think will we see it on Switch? I hope this year since it was supposed to be in development when the console was presented.

And, What I would like the most is having great graphics, realistic and 1080p.[/quote]

Next year I expect a new Japanese release for Switch.

I'm hoping we don't get as many games as we've been getting lately, honestly. I'd rather one to two "great" games a gen that have 1-3 year development times than several "decent" games with short developments back to back. I always assumed the increase in games is because handhelds are easier/simpler to develop for... The Switch is a console, and I don't expect the 10th gen Nintendo console until 2021 at earliest.
Dark Desert Rose
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

I just thought of another thing: Please don't have maker items take DAYS to complete. Also, bring back the greenhouse.

As for the game itself, I think it's safe to say that there is a BokuMono in development for Switch. I think we'll get more information when they're done with ToTT+