Things you'd fix in a 64 remake?

SNES, HM64, BTN, STH, A Wonderful Life, Another Wonderful Life, AWL:SE, Magical Melody, Puzzle de HM, Tree of Tranquility, Animal Parade, Frantic Farming, Hero of Leaf Valley, My Little Shop, Seeds of Memories, Lil' Farmers, Light of Hope, Popolocrois: SoS, and Doraemon: SoS.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Harvest Moon 64 is one of the more popular HM games amongst dedicated fans but it's also one of the hardest to come across. No rereleases until 2017, a rather expensive cart, and the characters don't appear in any other game (bar cameos in TOT/AP). I assume that's also a reason why it's so popular. People really like forbidden fruits and obscure games get a lot of hype.

We probably won't ever get an official remake but fans can still speculate (plus STH got a reboot and it's less popular).

It's one of the oldest HM titles so it has a lot of outdated things. It also has a shoddy translation by Natsume, which wasn't uncommon in the 90s but is still unfortunate.

So... How would you fix the game?

I want a female player option. Preferably Sara or a new character, but no Claire please. I don't think a modern day title could do with being male-only like the old games, plus I've always wondered how it would be to court the bachelors.
Robinstar
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

First off, I'd want Princess Vanilla added back in.

Pete and Sara should be the default main characters, but with the option to customize like in the newest games.

The bachelorette should be: Popuri, Mary with her name fixed (called her Maria), Ann, Karen, Elli, and then Princess Vanilla cause that'd be awesome.

The bachelors should be: Gray, Harris, Cliff, Kai, Jeff, and I really don't see why Rick couldn't be a bachelor even though he wasn't a rival, so him too. 64 Rick is best Rick.
Pumpkin Queen
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I kinda find the 45 degree tilt annoying. At least in HM 64 you can use the controller to tilt the farm into right angles. It's why I was never quite able to get into BtN on the PS.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

I'd mostly want more fleshed-out text: get deeper into the backstories of all characters, introduce a fast-sell feature, and possibly add extra story on the backend. Some data structures could be changed to increase flexibility (e.g. so you can have values above 255 for affection, e.g.).

I'd also reintroduce the Japanese Farm Rankings screen and make the 100% requirements less insane (100,000 crops shipped? Reduce that by a factor of 10, pls). I'd fix some glitches and minor game design errors (affection glitches for Karen, Jeff, Vegetable Festival, Bridge construction; betting glitch; 100 fatigue cap; no requirement to feed non-adult animals; attacking animals glitch; blue power nut glitch, music box glitch.

I'd also be interested in making the late game much harder economically and maybe give you something to strive for (e.g. price of sellables crashes and maybe introduce some more premium collectable items).

And of course update the game's sound and graphics... Actually at this point I'm almost adding BTN's features to HM64's universe and controls and then giving it SOS presentation.
ChaosAzerothCat
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Anonymous Fish wrote:I'd mostly want more fleshed-out text: get deeper into the backstories of all characters, introduce a fast-sell feature, and possibly add extra story on the backend. Some data structures could be changed to increase flexibility (e.g. so you can have values above 255 for affection, e.g.).

I'd also reintroduce the Japanese Farm Rankings screen and make the 100% requirements less insane (100,000 crops shipped? Reduce that by a factor of 10, pls). I'd fix some glitches and minor game design errors (affection glitches for Karen, Jeff, Vegetable Festival, Bridge construction; betting glitch; 100 fatigue cap; no requirement to feed non-adult animals; attacking animals glitch; blue power nut glitch, music box glitch.

I'd also be interested in making the late game much harder economically and maybe give you something to strive for (e.g. price of sellables crashes and maybe introduce some more premium collectable items).

And of course update the game's sound and graphics... Actually at this point I'm almost adding BTN's features to HM64's universe and controls and then giving it SOS presentation.
IDK if you fix all the fun glitches a lot of people will stick to the VC version unless it's just THAT much better, which it'd have to be the BAREST 64 left to make it worth it IMHO. People tend to notice what's 'taken away' more than anything else in my experience, and at least they aren't like the fishing glitch/exploit in DS where it's much harder to avoid. These 'positive' glitches are very easy to choose not to exploit but wow are they nice if you want to.

The VC version is only $10 though, so my broke « Mr.Gourmet's hat » might be a bit biased. I'll keep my cheaper version and the option to make things easier or not. :lol:
jzwolf942
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

Give me more dialogue, even just a handful more (per character) would make it much more enjoyable especially after year 3 when it boils down to the same bits you heard from year 1. I know the game was set up to be played for about 3-5 in-game years but I have no interest in talking to most of the characters post-evaluation due to the staleness of their dialogue.

I'd also like if I could actually cook the recipes that I received instead of just collecting them for points toward dear ol' dad's evaluation. Even if I was forced to eat the dishes right away, it would be nice to have more reasons to grow crops rather than for cash/gifts.

I know this was also a thing in the older games but I really wish I could've taken my horse off of the farm. Even if I couldn't take it into the town, it would've made scavenging for resources a little faster. (I would even have been happy if you couldn't use the "insta-ship" saddlebags when your horse is off farm.)

I'm sure I have more because despite my love of the game (I still have my original cartridge!), it's got some problems.
white66
Pick Potatos, not boogers
Pick Potatos, not boogers

Post  Posted:

-Make the time pass a little slower

-Don't have the music restart every time you enter another screen
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

[quote="jzwolf942"]Give me more dialogue, even just a handful more (per character) would make it much more enjoyable especially after year 3 when it boils down to the same bits you heard from year 1. I know the game was set up to be played for about 3-5 in-game years but I have no interest in talking to most of the characters post-evaluation due to the staleness of their dialogue.
[/quote]

They need to expand upon many of the minor NPCs, like the fishermen, for sure.
jzwolf942
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

Anonymous Fish wrote:
jzwolf942 wrote:Give me more dialogue, even just a handful more (per character) would make it much more enjoyable especially after year 3 when it boils down to the same bits you heard from year 1. I know the game was set up to be played for about 3-5 in-game years but I have no interest in talking to most of the characters post-evaluation due to the staleness of their dialogue.
They need to expand upon many of the minor NPCs, like the fishermen, for sure.
Heck, the carpenters that work on your farm when you hire them could really use it since I *think* they are actually there during the upgrade process. I mean, even Gotz in M/FOMT will say things to you and you can gift him while he's working.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

The big question... Mary or Maria?

Afaik, neither are actually correct translations. I prefer "Maria" though. It's prettier imho, plus I like her being named after her grandma.
Robinstar
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Anonymous Fish wrote:The big question... Mary or Maria?

Afaik, neither are actually correct translations. I prefer "Maria" though. It's prettier imho, plus I like her being named after her grandma.
Mary cause that’s what she was called in GBC 2, which was in the Flowerbud universe. Maria was an accident and is her grandma’s name.

Actually though, I wonder if all of them might have to have their names changed for legal reasons? So all of the characters I listed as marriage candidates might actually have to be called something else in English. I don’t actually know though. Also, would that even count for Princess Vanilla since she was scrapped?