how do you pick your spouses?

SNES, HM64, BTN, STH, A Wonderful Life, Another Wonderful Life, AWL:SE, Magical Melody, Puzzle de HM, Tree of Tranquility, Animal Parade, Frantic Farming, Hero of Leaf Valley, My Little Shop, Seeds of Memories, Lil' Farmers, Light of Hope, Popolocrois: SoS, and Doraemon: SoS.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

I do it based on looks LOL
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Looks are what catches everyone's attention first, I'm sure...because it's the very first thing you can possibly know about the character: what they look like. It's certainly the first thing I pay attention to...when their looks appeal to me.

Though my decision will then be swayed by their events/dialogue. I tend to have a type, it seems. If they exist in the game, I always seem to go for gentle, considerate, polite types (Sanjay, Yuzuki). I also have a major thing for a certain breed of tsundere, because they make me laugh...I feel like I'm teasing them all the time since they're always getting all flustered, and that's just fun. :)

I mean, I think the handsomest guy in ANB is actually Allen, but his dialogue annoyed me, so he was a no-go. (I think you could find his dialogue funny or even charming, but it just didn't work that way for me...sometimes I just wanted to pop him in the snoot.) So the character design is really important, but in the end it's not the MOST important thing, for me. I think you could even say that in ANB, Sanjay had the plainest design of anyone, other than his lovely long braid (he was drawn nowhere near as pretty in-game as he is in my icon), but he has been BY FAR my favourite bachelor ever. If their dialogue ends up rubbing me the wrong way, I'm not going to have them around saying it all the time...I'll avoid them and the irritation they cause me.

There is also the aspect of TIME. I usually won't go for late-unlock characters unless I'm absolutely crazy about them, since I prefer to get marriage started as early as I can in hopes of having an ambulatory child around to see their dialogue and events BEFORE I've grown bored with the game and end up quitting.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I'll go for the oldest available bachelor, because i'm not into babyfaced kids anymore. If there is no older option, then I go for whoever is the least popular. Sometimes both of these things coincide.

What I wouldn't give for a bachelor with a full beard or a few laugh lines.
Soapylion
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Looks to begin with, but then if they turn out to be boring or unlikeable, I'll end up going for someone else! So it ends up being mostly personality-based.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Bluie wrote:I'll go for the oldest available bachelor, because i'm not into babyfaced kids anymore. If there is no older option, then I go for whoever is the least popular. Sometimes both of these things coincide.

What I wouldn't give for a bachelor with a full beard or a few laugh lines.
Before I had the game and was JUST looking at the character designs, Klaus was my favourite in SoS. But then he spent so much time talking about how he was soooooo much older than the MC that I couldn't take it. I did alter his image though to have a goatee...did you see that, way back when? I didn't do a great job since my photoshop skills are low unless I'm just adjusting photo levels, but it at least gives the idea, and he looks pretty okay with some facial hair. :) I didn't even quite make that look right though, so wasn't up to attempting a full beard, lol.
Spoiler:
I'd like more variety in looks all round! Gimme some attractively beefy or pudgy characters. Unusual features that actually look good on them like deliberate or natural baldness or a patrician nose or a cleft chin that hasn't been so exaggerated that it looks like an actual tiny butt stuck on their face. (Why are cleft chins always turned into a joke? My mom and sister both have them IRL...) Give me a punk character with a genuine mohawk with green streaks in it. Maybe some piercings and/or tattoos. Etc. I am so greedy for choice.

But that would not appeal to the largest group of people, most likely, and the series has moved to trying to please as many people as it can with every feature, as I see it, and this is the result. IMO, of course. The super-averaged-out slender young pretty boys (and similar cute girls) are easy to take, sure, but it gets very boring to have just that all the time. But they are just trying to appeal to the biggest number of people at once when designing the marriage candidates, so I guess it's the safest design choice.
Last edited by Kikki on May 21, 2018 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I'm usually OK the older guys being a bit "but i'm a lot older than you lol", but once they figure out you're serious, they should drop that. You just scored a young thing with the hots for you! BE LOUD AND BE PROUD. I get them having reservations or esteem issues, especially with bachelors like Griffin, who's not been with a lady in ages and is probably a bit in shock with all your affections, but come on, get over it and don't make it your character quirk.

Having a confident older bachelor would be an interesting change.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Looks first, before personality, maybe because I'm still young so my brain is all about looks at this point? Them hormones. One thing that turns me off though personality-wise is being super flirty. I like flirtation but not when it's overdone.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

It's true that for most people, appreciation of things other than looks grows with age. :) It just happens to be that a large portion of FOGU seems to be folks in their mid to late twenties, with folks in their thirties not being a rarity. We even have a few over 50. Originally the user base here was much younger, afaik. Perhaps obviously, since some of the folks here have been around for ten years! If you asked a different group with a younger median age, you'd probably get more people saying looks are the single most important deciding factor.

Don't get me wrong, though...a really great character design (attractive looks) is a huge draw. ESPECIALLY if it feels more unique than the others. It's just that a personality I dislike will irritate me too much to put up with it even if the appearance of that character is awesome. So you grow a larger appreciation for other things than looks, and at the same time, your tolerance for things that annoy you may well shrink! :)

It's kind of like shoes, lol. When I was a teen, and up to about 30, I was all about gorgeous-looking high heels...I almost never wore anything else. But then they started to just hurt too much! My entire spine would go out of whack, making my entire stupid body hurt. And now I don't own a single pair of high heels. The closest I come these days are wedge shoes, lol. *sigh*
C-K
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

Mm...

Pretty much whichever characters have a descent middle-ground
type of personality that isn't too strongly toward one extreme or
the other.

I like characters that are shy, characters that have an attitude,
but I don't like them to be total otaku-type characters that go
too far with the type of personality I like.

Realistic females that lean toward the personality I like really.

I think one of my favorites was Dia from MM and HoLV.
Kam
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

if there's a character that makes me laugh, i'll usually end up with them, but aside from that there's not much lol. i usually gravitate toward my favorite character types (either the tsundere girl, the tomboy, the ojou-sama, or the really laid-back dude) in the beginning, but i don't always go with them. sometimes i pick the winner based on something completely random. for example, in my most recent playthrough of tott i'm going for nori, purely because she has the same name as my cat lol

in the games where the character's personalities are about as thick as tissue paper, i usually go for looks lol
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

This is off topic and inconsequential, but I love the shade of purple you've used, Kam. :)

Also, characters that make me laugh are very hard to resist...gotta chime in on that one! That was why I went for Nadi, and why some types of tsundere are such a big draw for me...they're just so very funny. (To me, of course...don't know about other people!) It's also why I liked Ford second-best of all the Trio candidates...he offered me the most laughs. :)

Puns, however, make me groan, not laugh...so Woofio wasn't my type. (I also don't like dogs very much, and mascot costumes freak me out to boot, so though he's a really nice guy with an interesting backstory, Woofio was just one big NO for me.)
PokeFarmer
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

Basically if they're boring and bland then I will not pay attention to them, even if I like their looks. I'm not into tsunderes very much, characters who blab about their age (looking at some certain people *cough*) or if they look like a 12 year old or something.

Also, if I had MFoMT, I would definitely not go for Kappa. Like, what the hell. XD

If literally all the characters in the game were extremely bland then I would probably rely on looks and their somewhat attitude.

I don't really care all too much about looks, they just have to look appealing enough (which doesn't take much for me). I usually go for the guys who like to joke around and aren't just working all the time. Though they'd have to be a hard worker at least because no one likes a person who does absolutely damn nothing :/
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Looks are how I filter out the no-thank-you's? (:

Or start to, I guess. Funny would be the ultimate, but I've never actually found a bachelor funny... I always play as a girl, but I would restart my file and play as a guy if I found a funny bachelorette.

Aside from that it comes down to two things: looks legal to marry in places outside of Japan, and endearing.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Oh yeah, I tend to gravitate towards introverts (is shyness considered as introversion? I'm not sure because I read an article once, saying that shyness is not the same as introversion). It's pretty fun and rewarding making someone break out of their shell. But still, looks first.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I am an extreme introvert...but I am not shy. They're definitely not the same...shyness tends to mean that you are in some way intimidated by or fear embarrassment from social interaction whereas introverts simply don't like very much of it even if they're not at all embarrassed or intimidated by it...but most people will probably understand what you mean if you equate them. :)

A shy person may want to interact with people very much, but is too uncomfortable (for varying reasons) to do so. An introverted person doesn't interact because they don't want to...they enjoy keeping to themselves. And of course, there are different varieties and situations in all of this so no blanket definition of 'shy' or 'introverted' will fit each person who qualifies as such.

I go for fellow introverts all the time in the game, but shyness is not as big of a draw for me as an introspective nature.