Please read before you check the poll :)

SNES, HM64, BTN, STH, A Wonderful Life, Another Wonderful Life, AWL:SE, Magical Melody, Puzzle de HM, Tree of Tranquility, Animal Parade, Frantic Farming, Hero of Leaf Valley, My Little Shop, Seeds of Memories, Lil' Farmers, Light of Hope, Popolocrois: SoS, and Doraemon: SoS.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

EDIT 2: POLL IS NOW CLOSED

EDIT: It has come to my attention that I ended up leaving out Harvest Moon 64 and Hero of Leaf Valley. If you comment saying that any game that was not included in on the poll is your favourite, I will add it in manually afterwards so that the poll is accurate again. ALSO...I put something called 'GBC' on the list. That is meant to be the Harvest Moon: GameBoy version released in 1998. I do not know if that is the same as the original SNES HM or not...

I've always wanted to create a poll like this since some of the bokumono games seem very widely loved while others seem less so and I wanted to see that trend with concrete numbers, if possible...but was never able to due to the limitation in the number of options you can include. But I think I've managed to make a poll with every single HM/SoS game ever in it, HERE. (I wanted to embed it but the code doesn't seem to work for message boards.)

I included the Natsume HMs, but did NOT include spin-offs, which is what I think My Little Shop and Frantic Farming are probably supposed to be. I think this only allows you to vote once, for one option, with no chance to change. So make sure you choose your real favourite on the first try. :)

You're welcome to expound on your choice in the comments as much as you like, too, if you feel like it. As for my own favourite...I think Trio of Towns is a superior game, but ANB remains my favourite, as I had the most FUN while playing it. I played to Year 5 and was still enjoying my farm and my digital family a lot, more than in any of the other games thus far, so even though Trio is superior in many ways, it doesn't qualify as my favourite, imo.
Last edited by Kikki on Jun 25, 2018 3:56 am, edited 4 times in total.
PeachyKeen
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I voted Animal Parade and I'm glad to see it winning as of now ; ). AP had possibly my favorite cast of characters, an amazing world to explore, and tons of unique animals to raise. I loved the fact you could have 2 children with unique personalities and that your family would help you on the farm. All the marriage options were amazing too, and I felt the game was neither too easy or too hard.

I honestly hope by some miracle this game gets ported to the Switch haha
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I've always gotten the impression that if a series-spanning poll could be taken, Animal Parade would be one of the top contenders for overall favourite. Even I really liked it (the ONLY older game I so far was able to get into), I just found it so agonizingly slow to raise friendship that I got too irritated and ended up abandoning it...and now I never use my Wii U any more (it's hooked up in the basement, but I never go down there.)

Though I think that if the question were changed to something like "If a newcomer to the series asked which game they should start with, which HM/SoS game would you recommend" that the answer might actually be Trio of Towns, since it is so palatable and easy to understand/follow.

Though once you get used to how many events there are in Trio, it's hard to go back to times when candidates only had 4 events apiece and regular villagers had none.

ARGH I just realized I forgot to add Harvest Moon: Back to Nature! I was going by Cherubae's guide list but that one doesn't have any linked page so it wasn't on there...so IF YOUR VOTE WOULD HAVE BEEN FOR BACK TO NATURE, PLEASE MENTION IT IN THE COMMENTS. *sigh* I just knew I'd end up missing something, somewhere. There may be others as well...it looks like some games were remade and combined and I frankly just do not understand what is what, there. I hope the list I made includes final versions or something. I also don't know which games, if any, may have been Japan-only releases.
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

My absolute favorite title is Hero of Leaf Valley, but I don't see it on the poll list. I could be wrong and am just blind though.

I love Hero of Leaf Valley for expanding on Save the Homeland's premise by adding an additional year, more endings, character development, marriage, post-story content and being able to complete the game with all 16 endings instead of just getting one and starting over. The selection of bachelorettes is my personal favorite; they're pretty hard to choose between since each of them gains character development when exploring their endings. Dia is the one that shines the most as she learns to explore the world outside her mansion and books. I feel like no matter which bachelorette I choose she'll be my favorite over any other girl I've married throughout the Natsume translated series.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

No, you're right, it's not on there. I used this list of games on Cherubae's top page to compile the titles, but when I looked at other places after I finished the poll, a bunch of other titles were in, too, and I ended up not even sure if some were just repackaged games or what. Sorry for not including Hero of Leaf Valley. (I love the bachelorette designs in that game. Too bad that wasn't one where you could choose to play as a girl and also have bachelor candidates. Of existing characters, I already really like Kurt and Renton's profiles, and some others are not bad, either.)

However if anyone comments here with a fave that isn't on the poll, I will add them up and convert the poll results at the end into a bar graph to show all the votes, including any that didn't properly make it onto the list. :)

It's nice to hear why each person's favourite is their favourite though so I'm almost not sorry I forgot to leave some out. Except that I am because I really hate making mistakes. -__-
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Hero of Leaf Valley is also my favourite, so +1 for it. I feel it has the best formula of a HM game both having a story and various events and endings depending on how you play it. It's also got a great cast that I always love to revisit.
Kam
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

i voted for animal parade because it's tied with dq5 for my favorite game of all time, but ds cute was my favorite for years before that and is still a very close second so i feel i should give it an honorable mention lol
Nightlight
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

My favorite is Harvest Moon 64. Why do I like it so much? Well, the easiest answer is nostalgia, so I'll just go with that :) :lol:.

(By the way, I noticed that, along with HM64, the original Harvest Moon for the SNES isn't on the list.)
Last edited by Nightlight on Jun 01, 2018 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Er...DQ5 is Dragon Quest, right? It's gotta be. Because if that's another HM game that I've left off the list, I am at a complete loss as to which one.

Okay, +1 for HM64 as well, then! (and +2 for HoLV) :) I didn't add that one because for some reason I was led to believe that it's just a port of one of the GBC games...but that's not how it is, is it?

Really stupid thing: I actually own Hero of Leaf Valley. WHY would I have forgotten that one, of all of them? It and Animal Parade bear the distinction of being the only pre-ANB bokumono games that I felt like I could get into after trying them, so it should have been one of the first ones that came to mind. But since it wasn't on the list I thought maybe the one I was thinking of was Save the Homeland. Dur. :shock:

EDIT: No, sorry, I left that one off, too, Nightlight. I was using everything from here when I was making the poll and wasn't sure if other games I found later were just ports or what. Or...is the on listed as HM: GB the original? Because if so, that's on the list...I just mistakenly added a C to it, because the next two in the list were GBC2 and GBC3, and I have never played or seen them so I made a false connection there.
Last edited by Kikki on Jun 01, 2018 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kam
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

yeah dq5 is dragon quest 5 sorry
Nightlight
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

Kikki wrote: Or...is the on listed as HM: GB the original? Because if so, that's on the list...I just mistakenly added a C to it, because the next two in the list were GBC2 and GBC3, and I have never played or seen them so I made a false connection there.
No, Harvest Moon 1 for GB and Harvest Moon for SNES are two different games, but they are, to my knowledge, similar to one another (I've never played HM GB, but I've heard it described as a dumbed down version of the SNES one.)

Harvest Moon SNES came out first and was the one to start the series, Harvest Moon GB came out about a year later and was the first in the GB/C trilogy (which is why it is sometimes called Harvest Moon 1.)
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Then to keep track, here is the tally so far. Though this list is off Wikipedia, plus the Natsume games...but I don't know if all of these games are standard games, or if some are remakes/ports/etc...I've just entered them all here except for spin-offs.
Spoiler:
Harvest Moon (0)
Harvest Moon GB (0)
Harvest Moon GBC (0)
Harvest Moon 64 (1)
Harvest Moon 2 GBC (0)
Harvest Moon: Back to Nature (0)
Harvest Moon 3 GBC (0)
Harvest Moon: Save the Homeland (0)
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town (2)
Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life (2)
Harvest Moon: More Friends of Mineral Town
Harvest Moon: Another Wonderful Life
Harvest Moon: Magical Melody (0)
Harvest Moon DS (0)
Harvest Moon: Boy & Girl (0)
Harvest Moon DS Cute (1)
Harvest Moon DS: Island of Happiness (0)
Harvest Moon: Tree of Tranquility (0)
Harvest Moon DS: Sunshine Islands (1)
Harvest Moon: Animal Parade (8)
Harvest Moon DS: Grand Bazaar (1)
Harvest Moon: Hero of Leaf Valley (2)
Harvest Moon: The Tale of Two Towns (2)
Harvest Moon 3D: A New Beginning (1)
Story of Seasons (SoS1)(1)
Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns (SoS2) (9)
HM: The Lost Valley (0)
HM: Skytree Village (0)
HM: Seeds of Memories (0)
HM: Light of Hope (0)
Total Votes: 17 (14 on poll, 3 in comments)
Next day update: 31 votes (28 on poll, 3 in comments.)
Last edited by Kikki on Jun 02, 2018 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Stardust
Pick Potatos, not boogers
Pick Potatos, not boogers

Post  Posted:

Sunshine Islands for me! ^o^ I love the harder farming, I love collecting Sun Stones, I love how the dialogue for all the characters changes a bit whether you play as Mark or Chelsea. Mark and Chelsea probably have my favorite designs for protagonists.

Unfortunately, I've played it so much, I think my cart is starting to die... I might have to get a new one at some point. >.>"
Eeeeehhhh????!!!!
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

I wish I could play AP :( I don't have a Wii.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Or a Wii U? I no longer have a Wii, but I can still play my copy of AP on my Wii U. I just don't because it's all the way down in the basement where I never go. I already have 4 other consoles upstairs, lol.