New and tentative game announcements

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

First, a completely empty bit of teaser news that could potentially be interesting...but we have no way of knowing yet. Apparently Marvelous is working on some unannounced Switch titles.

I don't even know what 'unannounced' means though. Does Bokumono Switch count as unannounced? Well, I'm curious to hear what these are...though I suppose there's a good chance they'll be nothing I'm interested in.

As for the rest...

I feel a little bad though, like I'm wildly gesticulating at every game I see that I think I might like and yapping like a dog with 'Hey Bluie, are you gonna play THAT? That one? Are you gonna play that one, too?!'

Meanwhile, I'm not really contributing anything in return, as you pretty much go ahead and try the games you're interested in, whereas I *only* commit to the ones I have scraped up a very high probability of enjoying...so I can't usually offer any useful return impressions of games other people haven't already tried. If anyone sees any game in my completed backlog that they want to hear about I will, of course, give my impression of it right away, but I don't think I've played anything that many others here haven't already played.

The problem is that I'm very narrow-minded, lol. Or narrow-tasted...I'm not sure what to call this quality. I've found that if I have any doubts when looking at a game, I almost always end up not liking it, unlike others, who seem to have a better success rate on the games they gamble on. But I'm grateful and will try to do you other favours instead, if the possibility comes up! :)

EDIT: Other announcements...I saw a new one for SaGa Scarlet Grace, and... I was once very interested in getting Egglia onto my tablet, but they weren't compatible, so I was interested to hear of THIS announcement of an Egglia-like game (with breeding and training elements) that is being worked on for Switch by the Egglia folks. But I bet it won't have actual eggs in it, which means my interest will dive down to a fraction on the spot, lol.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Unannounced Marvelous games always make me think of more Senran Kagura is on it's way. Ugh. *shudder*

It could be numerous things though. We know they're working on a new Bokumono, but they've yet to formally announce its title and other details, so it could be. Other notable Marvelous IPs are Luminous Arc, Half Minute Hero, Valhalla Knights, among others + they do a lot of anime adaption games. I'm interested, but cautiously optimistic. I'd love an Avalon Code sequel of sorts, but I am dreaming here.

It's good to have tastes no matter how narrow or broad. I have a friend who ONLY plays platformers, that's it. Nothing else entices her and though she tries something new now and then, she's always back to whatever her favourite hopping hero is. Seeing as she plays almost all of them and how i'm not super into the platform genre, she's great to talk to on which ones I could potentially enjoy. It works out nicely as she's played almost everything that's out, I can ask her for her advice and opinions.

With me, while my tastes are broad, i'm not very easily pleased. I'll play the game to completion if it's fun, but if I find myself being distracted by other things instead of wanting to play, then it's not something i'll likely finish/recommend. That being said, I'm more than willing to give everything a try/chance, so much in fact that if there's a game i've yet to play for whatever reason, it bugs me until I actually get around to buying it. If I end up disliking it my thought process is 'well, I would have been upset if I never got to try it, so now I know'. I'm very iffy on reviewers as a whole because whether they liked the game or not, it oozes their like/dislike in tone throughout the whole review instead of being objective. I may end up adoring Shining Resonance, but i'll sure as heck point out it's flaws as well.

So I don't mind being a guinea pig so to speak, because I want to play most everything eventually. I'm limited to a Switch right now and what I can afford in holy-inflated-prices-batman Canada, but if I can help others save some money (or help decide on a purchase) and still be satisfied with my experience, it's a win-win~

Back on topic, a company i'm very fond of Brownies/1-UP Studio is working on a Switch Game. Never played a game by them I disliked, so bring it on.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Yes, I'm very interested in that :) (Looks like we're checking the same sources.) I REALLY wanted (and still want!) to play Egglia, but it is not compatible with my tablet, so I couldn't. Since this game is supposed to be like Egglia in that it's a breeding/training type of game, that's promising, but at the same time...it probably does not have eggs in it, and eggs are a huge draw for me, lol. I basically don't even want to hatch them, I just want to have three million different kinds of fancy egg to gaze at!

But yeah, I'm interested in how that one turns out. I reblogged it on tumblr to make sure I keep it somewhere on my radar, but the interview did say they're hoping to announce it this summer (not release, just announce) at which point it should be more difficult to lose track of :)

EDIT: I might be interested in Defoliation. But probably not. Still, I'll keep my eye on it for now :) I also had enough interest in ICEY for it to have been living on my Steam wishlist for a year or so, but since I just won't play on PC any more, now that it is going to be an option on Switch, I'll be looking at it a little more seriously as a possible future purchase.
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Saw a game earlier on a livestream called Wildbrew. No idea how far along in development it is, but the team just released a demo and it looks pretty darned cute.

I don't think there's any farming involved (despite the old school HM style garden patch in one of the screenshots) but it's up my alley and I think it would be up the alley of at least some of the folks on here. :)

I might try the demo later myself but for now that's all. And yeah, I'd like to say a quick THANK YOU! to everybody in this thread. I don't have a ton of time for games but this thread (and also your backlog thread too XD) is giving me a heck of a lot more to choose from which I really appreciate. :lala:
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Oh hey, that looks interesting :) I never watch livestreams, so anything that comes out that way would end up slipping under my radar. I love that the 'young herbalist witch' is a boy...in almost all cases, you'd probably find that anyone called a witch was a girl, so I liked having my attention tripped up a bit by that little detail.

I wonder why they all have leaves growing out of the top of their heads...

I'm glad you're finding the threads interesting, Mikodesu. :) It's unfortunate that this thread has nearly become a two-way conversation between Bluie and I over the last page or so, but maybe we're the ones who check the game announcements the most frequently or something. Everyone else is very welcome to drop in with their links and comments on gaming news that has caught their attention!
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

I think with Wildbrew it's gonna be a question of how good the puzzles are, but we'll see!

I didn't used to either (I actually started with art livestreams). XD Its a good source of background noise and sometimes streamers will show games nobody's heard of or games you wouldn't have otherwise given a chance. Heck, the only reason I got Xenoblade 2 is because I enjoyed watching a weekly livestream of the first game.

No idea how many games it'll turn up but I'll be on the lookout now at least. :)
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

This doesn't qualify as an announcement, imo...just a report on something that the Monolith Soft director wrote into the new XC2 soundtrack booklet. I just wanted to stick it here for future reference. :) Apparently he's gone down in writing with his desire to made an XC3 as well as an XCX2. (And a totally new IP as well, though I can't even begin to speculate on that.) Not that that's a guarantee that it'll happen, but it's nice that it's been said in official form.

XC blabber...
Spoiler:
I...found XC2 interesting and it was worth buying and playing. Some day I might replay it, though a replay is quite low on my priority list, and I'm lacking even the compulsion to pick it back up when the DLC story comes in. Because I just never grew to love it. It remains very much only a 'like'. I LOVED the first Xenoblade Chronicles. And I was impressed by XCX and I grow more fond of it all the time...I love it, too, though it lacks the compelling and lovable characters of the first XC, the world itself just blew me away. I have never explored a world I like as much as the XCX world...not even Breath of the Wild's world. (Though that was great, too.) I also found it compelling that it felt like I wasn't playing any mere avatar character, but was representing humanity itself in everything I did. XCX has the distinction of being the ONLY game I have ever played with a player-created avatar character as the MC where I came to completely fall for my own character.

So if XC3 was a direct sequel to XC2, I'd probably be disappointed, as I never grew attached to Rex or Pyra or any of them (and the soundtrack was astonishingly unmemorable! I can't remember a single melody from the game, even though the soundtracks of the first two games were spectacular), so I don't care if I ever see them in a new game. I'd perk up if it was just another game in the XC universe, though...a 'sort of' sequel the way XC2 was only sort of a sequel to the first XC, with new characters and new world and all. I would LOVE to see an XCX2 if it kept a world just as beautiful and had similar exploration mechanics. (Though I'd love to be able to climb and glide, ala BotW. At least in a limited capacity.)

I think I'm just completely sick of 12-15 year old boys as my protagonists...that may have been one of my major deterrents in growing attached to XC2. But anyway, I'm very happy that Monolith Soft have officially (irrevocably!) said that they want to do more Xenoblade games. :)
EDIT: Forgot about Moonlighter for a while there, but it's also supposed to come out before the end of 2018 on Switch (earlier for other consoles). I probably won't get it but am still thinking about it.

EDIT 2: I like the idea that Lost In Harmony has a 'deep story', and I usually enjoy the music in rhythm games, but...I simply don't have the reflexes to play them :( My brain utterly freezes when I am put under a time limit. If anyone else does play this, I'd love to know if it really does have a deep story, because I'm finding it hard to imagine this genre of game being able to include such a thing!
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I'll probably buy Moonlighter when it comes out on Switch. It seems like a good '10 hour' indie (that's usually my playtime on them).

There hasn't been much new stuff that I haven't already preordered or plan to on my radar. I've got Fallen Legion next week so i'm looking forward to that. GameFreak keeps making Pokemon copyrights so i'm super curious what they're up to (I like the mainline games, but i'm a HUGE fan of the Mystery Dungeon spin offs, so I can dream~).

I'm just hoping the Switch gets more VNs, particularly good ones, localized soon. I've found myself still winding down from stressful days at work and getting irritated at my games instead of super enjoying them (I had some WORDS with DQB last night lol). I'd like to wind down with a nice 'book' so to speak. I'm probably 100% getting Song of Memories when it comes out later this year. I don't even care if I get a weird look from the EB employees, gimme lol.

In other news, Xenoblade 2 is getting another update tomorrow including quests with various blades, so i'm down for that. Any excuse to play some more Xenoblade is OK in my book (i've done everything lol, I need moar).

My own Xenoblade rambles(spoilers):
Spoiler:
As I've only played XC2 fully (tried to play the first but lost interest 10ish hours in) I would be OK with XC3 taking place on the new world formed at the end of XC2. I'm super attached to Morag, Nial, and their blades (and Vandham, WHEN HE WAS ALIVE) so I'd say i'm up to more of that world. I'd be fine with a whole new world too. I'd love of play XCX so I hope it gets ported over.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

The first Xenoblade Chronicles is one of those games that don't take off for a fair while. That's not a defense, though...sometimes I cannot deal with games like that. People say 'Oh, it's a slow burn', but...a game that takes 30 hours to get interesting is a failure, in my opinion. But Xenoblade Chronicles is one of the ones that gets more and more interesting the further you get in...every time you think you know what the story is, you find out something new and realize you don't know what's going on after all...and in the beginning seems slow and simple and you might not be sure what you're playing for. But I liked Shulk right away so I had patience built in...the only way I can get into a game that is a slow starter is if I really like the characters (or the game is just dazzlingly beautiful). Plus all my favourite games are very long...80 hours seems to be about the minimum playtime for my faves :)

Re: Bluie's spoiler just above...If you are never going to play the first XC (or XC2), then go ahead and read this reply spoiler...but if you think you ever will, then don't, as I wanted to mention a specific parallel in XC and XC2 endings...
Spoiler:
Bluie wrote:I would be OK with XC3 taking place on the new world formed at the end of XC2. I'd love of play XCX so I hope it gets ported over
Both games end with the world being recreated into something new. It would have been very cool to play on in that new world in the first XC, but nooooo...we didn't get that option. I don't think we'll get it with XC3 either, but anything could happen at this point. There are even a few theories that the world of XC2 IS the new world that the original universe of XC turned into at the end...though I think other information might make that impossible. Not sure. Some people got so detailed with their theories that they were difficult to keep track of.
Xenoblade Chronicles 'X' is my one major hope for a Wii U to Switch port...I'm glad Monolith Soft have said they want to. I haven't really cared about anything else getting a port...just that. (Though if the rumours of Skyward Sword getting ported turn out to be true, that'd be cool! But I kinda doubt it.) I've played it through twice already but I will happily play it again. I just love running (and flying) around Mira. :) It looks fairly promising...but if they do it I sure hope they give it a good UI and fix the audio problems. Those two things made major functionality problems, which they REALLY should have patched, and yet never did. I had a friend who had to give up XCX simply because the UI text was so tiny that he just couldn't read it...and there was no way to adjust it! And having the music play so loud during some cutscenes that you couldn't hear the dialogue was ridiculous, too. Why was that not adjustable?
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Kikki wrote: Re: Bluie's spoiler just above...If you are never going to play the first XC (or XC2), then go ahead and read this reply spoiler...but if you think you ever will, then don't, as I wanted to mention a specific parallel in XC and XC2 endings...
Spoiler:
Bluie wrote:I would be OK with XC3 taking place on the new world formed at the end of XC2. I'd love of play XCX so I hope it gets ported over
Both games end with the world being recreated into something new. It would have been very cool to play on in that new world in the first XC, but nooooo...we didn't get that option. I don't think we'll get it with XC3 either, but anything could happen at this point. There are even a few theories that the world of XC2 IS the new world that the original universe of XC turned into at the end...though I think other information might make that impossible. Not sure. Some people got so detailed with their theories that they were difficult to keep track of.
Haha, no worries on the spoiler stuff, I looked it up after I finished XC2 just to get the refrecenes and connections. I got spoilered for the game as well back when Project X Zone 2 came out so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Whatever they end up doing for XC3, they have options for revisiting if they want to but as the (spoilers)
Spoiler:
Klaus and Galea whole universe creation stuff seems to be wrapped up, kinda, I guess they might just go for a whole different world/universe. Or maybe they could get crazy and combine the two universes, but that would be complicated. Who knows, maybe Klaus screwed up so bad he made a few more universes he's not present on. There were a lot of people on that spaceport after all.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

They certainly like to make complex stories for the Xenoblade series, so I wouldn't put anything past them at this point, and...
Spoiler:
If anyone could screw things up that badly, it would be Klaus. He gets my vote for most stupid genius ever. Mad smart, and yet no foresight whatsoever! How intelligent can a person really be when they have no common sense?

As for something I'd like to see in a new Xenoblade game... I don't know if you met Alvis in depth when reading up on XC, but a decent number of people seemed to hope he at least would show up in XC2 (before we knew anything about XC2, that is, back when it was all still speculation based on what we knew of XC)...I still kind of hope he'll show up in some future game. I really liked his character and given the nature of who/what he is, well...he could be a wildcard they could stick in anywhere, if they really wanted to. I mean, Alvis was the instrument that Klaus used to change the universe and seemed to develop his own intelligence, and then in the change he became a person, whether due to Klaus' actions or his own, I don't know. The way I see it, he was basically what allowed Klaus and Shulk both to shape the universe. He was such a neat character! He also had so many battle lines, lol, and you get so little chance to hear any of them in XC. Why did they write in so many for a character you'd only ever get to fight alongside once? What a tease!

In short, he was an awesome character with massive potential and I would love to see him back.

As for a second XCX game, there's one character I'd like an update on, but other than that, as long as you can make those super-adjustable avatars and explore a gorgeous world so minutely while listening to goosebump-inducing music (the Sylvalum night theme (especially once you get to 1:05) makes my insides feel like they're floating...such prettiness; so misleading when that continent is so darned dangerous!), I will probably be very happy. :)
Meanwhile, in more present news...I stumbled across one more game I want to keep track of, called Figment...I had never heard of it before this evening. Though I know nothing other than that it is an action adventure and it has interesting graphics...but I like action adventures a lot if they've got good stories, so I'm sticking the link in here.

NEXT DAY EDIT: Ew. I saw that Monolith Soft has a hankering to make a 'violent, erotic and heavy' game that pushes the boundaries of what Nintendo will let them get away with. That would not only be very much noooooooot my kind of game, I'd be worried that if they became known for that, it would influence Xenoblade, too. I hate violent games. Hate 'em. Though it's kind of obvious from both XCX and especially XC2 that Monolith Soft likes to focus the camera on girls' boobs and butts already. I already felt weird listening to Pyra's butt soliloquize...I don't want it to get any more ridiculous than that.

I realize people want their M-rated games as well, but I don't want my favourite series to turn into one of them, because then I'll lose it. :( I can't afford to, I have so few favourites. Colour me concerned, anyway. I don't care how many huge-boob-jiggling bloodfests they make as long as it doesn't have an effect on Xenoblade, but...
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

It's kinda mind boggling how many little updates XC2 has gotten. I played it so much when I first got it that I've been burned out for a while...but it certainly leaves a lot to look forward to when the DLC rolls around.

Just ONE spoilery ramble...
Spoiler:
UGH I still miss Vandham dammit! I get why he had to go, as far as the quest goes, but...he was such a good character! And there was never a real replacement the whole rest of the story...and these children need an Obi Wan. (Why you gotta kill off the cool old guy, game? /rage)

OK TWO...I REALLY want to see the post-ending world, but the way each of the games have gone...(I don't really know anything about the combat in X) but the radically different settings seem to have been what's facilitated the combat styles. And somehow it just WORKS to have different combat. So maybe if in the process of "creating" this new world blades become something ELSE and that ELSE becomes the new/tweaked combat system?
And yeah. I'd really like to see Monolith reallocate their boob jiggle physics money into something worthwhile...like facial animation, or voice actors. >:| I love the stories they write but they make it difficult to support them sometimes.

Figment looks really cute! I think I'll havta wait for a review on it though, cause no matter how cute I can see the gimmick getting on my nerves if it isn't handled...right.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Did you see the Kickstarter announcement for My Girlfriend Is A Mermaid!? Bluie? The goal is 12,000 and a nearly half has been raised already in the first day, so it seems safe, but it's a bit confusing since before it seemed like it had already been confirmed. The dev saying they 'need a sign of support' from fans in the West is not sitting right with me, though...I don't know why but it just feels off. (Not shifty or anything, just...strange. I'm not sure why I don't like it, I just don't.)

You can get the Switch version for $15 this way, but I don't know what it would typically retail at.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Interesting. I'll probably pledge for the Switch tier after I have some money. I just spent over $200 yesterday getting new shoes and other necessities, sooo, i'll wait until June to throw some money at it. Added it to my saved projects for now.

I find this is something Sekai Project does a lot. They announce a game and then it goes to kickstarter. Now, this switch port better be a thing that's happening, because all their Vita ports they promised are still nowhere to be found. WORLD END ECONOMiCA, fault milestone, The Grisaia Trilogy, among others were all promised a Vita port a few years back annnnd nothing. The biggest difference is the Vita is bleeding out while the Switch is in perfect health. I best most of the pledges are for the Switch version anyhow, so they'd better not mess this up.

Speaking on VNs that were on the Vita, one of my favourites VA-11 Hall-A is coming to Switch. I can't wait to bartend for corgis and catgirls IN HD!
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Ugh, shoes! Shoes and bras, how I resent them. Having good ones or bad ones tends to affect your entire skeleton and if you have any issues at all you'll need to buy those with the best construction...and well-constructed shoes and bras are so outrageously expensive. It's just various fabrics...only enough to fill a space the size of your hand, and yet...hundreds of dollars for something that will last half a year or so since they see everyday wear. The expense adds up so much.

But a little more on topic, at least in that it is about an upcoming game...

I wonder what is up with Sushi Striker. It's STILL not out even though it was announced and shown a year ago, and news has been coming out on it a lot lately, including an announcement today that they're going to be selling the opening and closing theme songs for it. I don't understand why it has taken this long to come out, nor why they're making such a big deal about what looks like nothing more than a time-management or arcade-style game. But they featured it at E3 2017 and are featuring television commercials for it, and selling the soundtrack, and I just keep hearing more about it...and I don't get it. What is the big deal about Sushi Striker? I've yet to hear anyone caring about this game...I've yet to see anyone put this on their list of most-anticipated games of 2018, for example...but they're putting it out there like it's some huge draw, like a new Mario game or something.

I have NO plans to get it no matter how good it turns out to be since I have absolutely no high-speed gaming skills and would probably be unable to progress beyond the early part of the game, but if anyone else gets it I'd be interested in finding out what the big fuss is all about.