Story Rich Games

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

RopeMaidenKirie wrote:I looked into Agarest: Generations of War and the combat definitely isn't like that. It's your typical turn based RPG with some twists, but if you're a fan of Persona-like games combat-wise it really shouldn't be too much different than what you're used to.

Here's a very low level battle:
https://youtu.be/nAETeO-Jcls Sky series is similar

I recommend not looking too into it if you're interested because of spoilers!
I saw the moving part of the gameplay and my mind instantly went to Agarest: Generations of War and Disgaea. And don't worry; my research is just looking into how the combat works. I'd never go for story spoilers.
LeBurns
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

I just recalled Valkyria Chronicles which had one of the best stories I've ever had in a game. Just ... incredible. And the graphics were very nice. However, the combat was just ... how to put it ... odd. And I didn't like getting scored on every mission based on how many turns I took. But I would play it again just for the story. Loved it.

I did play The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC (got it on steam). Loved the graphics and the combat was old school but nice. I really needed a manual for the game though. That clock thing and the crystals I never figured out what that was about and no where in the game could I find any information on it. It was just assumed I guess that I was supposed to know everything about it. But I could still beat the game, so I guess I figured it out enough. But that ending ... cliffhanger. Got to play the next game.
Panda Parfait
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Until Dawn is entirely focused on story and has various outcomes based on your choices, though enjoyment of it probably depends on how much you like horror and horror movie tropes. Also free on PS plus right now in North America.

Oxenfree, which is another horror-ish game (though more psychological and focused on mystery) that plays similarly to Night in the Woods.

I also second the Dreamfall series, loove it.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

[quote="Ronin19"][quote="Anonymous Fish"]How about Solatorobo: Red the Hunter?[/quote]
If it wasn't $80 on Amazon and I could find it at a GameStop one lucky day, I will. Gameplay looks fun.
I bought my copy from Ebgames Australia for about $11.95 - $12.95 after randomly looking at the shelves, going home to research the game and buying it after school on a Monday. I have never regretted that decision.
It is also region free(i think?) so you could buy it from another country and play it like when I bought Okamiden from Canada shipped it to Australia and played it on an Australian 3DSxl.
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

LeBurns wrote:I just recalled Valkyria Chronicles which had one of the best stories I've ever had in a game. Just ... incredible. And the graphics were very nice. However, the combat was just ... how to put it ... odd. And I didn't like getting scored on every mission based on how many turns I took. But I would play it again just for the story. Loved it.
The graphics are so beautiful. I must look into the gameplay more.
Panda Parfait wrote:Until Dawn is entirely focused on story and has various outcomes based on your choices, though enjoyment of it probably depends on how much you like horror and horror movie tropes. Also free on PS plus right now in North America.

Oxenfree, which is another horror-ish game (though more psychological and focused on mystery) that plays similarly to Night in the Woods.

I also second the Dreamfall series, loove it.
I've seen gameplay of Until Dawn. I'm not a fan of horror games, unfortunately. Seems a bit weird considering I like the Walking Dead series from TellTale, but it is what it is. Couldn't get into Heavy Rain either; maybe the thriller aspects were too real to me? Who knows.

Interestingly enough, I liked the trailer I wanted on Oxenfree, so I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Finally found a decent video to watch the Dreamfall series. Keeping an eye on it and maybe wait for another sale.
Anonymous Fish wrote:
Ronin19 wrote:
Anonymous Fish wrote:How about Solatorobo: Red the Hunter?
If it wasn't $80 on Amazon and I could find it at a GameStop one lucky day, I will. Gameplay looks fun.
I bought my copy from Ebgames Australia for about $11.95 - $12.95 after randomly looking at the shelves, going home to research the game and buying it after school on a Monday. I have never regretted that decision.
It is also region free(i think?) so you could buy it from another country and play it like when I bought Okamiden from Canada shipped it to Australia and played it on an Australian 3DSxl.
Since it is a DS game, they are region free. I'm just going to hope that one shows up for a reasonable price down the road.
MageDragonfire
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

How has Radiant Historia not been mentioned yet? :D It's a fabulous DS title involving time travel/reality shifting of a sort, and has some of the tightest dialogue I've ever seen in a game. It's actually getting a 3DS rerelease/upgrade next year, but the original stands more than well enough on its own.
Sanne
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

Post  Posted:

Infinite Space is really good but near impossible to find for a decent price. It's a visual novel with some spaceship combat. The combat might be a bit hard to get into but the story is amazing.

Seconding Radiant Historia! Lovely game.
venus14!
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

Ronin19 wrote:
venus14! wrote:Odin Sphere!
It looks like such a beautiful game. Combat would be my only issue; I can't remember if I like those kinds of games or not as I can't recall any in my library with those combat mechanics.
Try the Demo! :) :!: : https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-ca/ ... HERELEDEM0
Nurse Fin
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Ronin19 wrote:
I've tried Xenoblade Chronicles two years ago with my boyfriend's copy. Combat wasn't my favorite, unfortunately. The premise sounded interesting though. The FF series I've played a lot of. I should go back and beat them; I've only beaten 1, 4 and 15.
Which characters did you play as? I hate the combat too unless I'm playing as Melia, who managed to make the combat really fun (the strategy, play style etc completely changes w/her). Shame she is one of the last characters to unlock, I avoided combat as much as I could until I got her on my team and I rush through to unlock her on all my replays. I wish more games had characters that play by stacking lots of buffs on your party and then discharging them for massive AOE attacks, it feels more rewarding to see a bunch of enemies go down at once like Hyrule Warriors
The Ninja
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Surprised the Professor Layton games haven't been mentioned yet.
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Nurse Fin wrote:
Ronin19 wrote:
I've tried Xenoblade Chronicles two years ago with my boyfriend's copy. Combat wasn't my favorite, unfortunately. The premise sounded interesting though. The FF series I've played a lot of. I should go back and beat them; I've only beaten 1, 4 and 15.
Which characters did you play as? I hate the combat too unless I'm playing as Melia, who managed to make the combat really fun (the strategy, play style etc completely changes w/her). Shame she is one of the last characters to unlock, I avoided combat as much as I could until I got her on my team and I rush through to unlock her on all my replays. I wish more games had characters that play by stacking lots of buffs on your party and then discharging them for massive AOE attacks, it feels more rewarding to see a bunch of enemies go down at once like Hyrule Warriors
The first three. I didn't get very far I know that, so Shulk and two others.
The Ninja wrote:Surprised the Professor Layton games haven't been mentioned yet.
Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright was the only game I got that involved the Professor. I'll probably just jump into the series with Lady Layton.
venus14! wrote:
Ronin19 wrote:
venus14! wrote:Odin Sphere!
It looks like such a beautiful game. Combat would be my only issue; I can't remember if I like those kinds of games or not as I can't recall any in my library with those combat mechanics.
Try the Demo! :) :!: : https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-ca/ ... HERELEDEM0
Downloading now!
Katgirl
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

The professor Layton series is great. Especially if you like brain teasers.

If you're into JRPGs I enjoyed Neir: Automata. It's story takes some nice turns.

Horizon: Zero Dawn was also fun. I liked the world building and there's nothing like taking down a robo Dino with a bow :)
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Katgirl wrote:The professor Layton series is great. Especially if you like brain teasers.

If you're into JRPGs I enjoyed Neir: Automata. It's story takes some nice turns.

Horizon: Zero Dawn was also fun. I liked the world building and there's nothing like taking down a robo Dino with a bow :)
I can't remember how I felt about Neir, so I'm downloading the demo again. I have Horizon Zero Dawn and love it. I need to get back to it though; I've neglected playing it since Breath of the Wild came out.
theboysareback
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

*does a backflip* I would Die for zero escape!!! DIE FOR IT!!! It's been my special interest for years now. I still enjoy playing all the games even though it's been a while since the first two came out and everyone hates the third one because they expected them to make it amazing in a year with no funding?

Also, Steins;gate. I haven't played 0 yet but SG0 is supposed to be phenomenal.
Sanne
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

Post  Posted:

theboysareback wrote:Also, Steins;gate. I haven't played 0 yet but SG0 is supposed to be phenomenal.
You should if you ever have the the time/access!

Okabe's personality got real and it was really good.