Monster Hunter Stories demo out now

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

I'ts almost 9am here so i'm about to go and pick up my copy i'm also going to have to buy new headphones as mine died 2 days before release date :(
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Alright got my game and some new headphones
Time to play!
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Is anyone doing a monster name theme?
LeBurns
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Anonymous Fish wrote:Is anyone doing a monster name theme?
I stopped naming my pokem ... er ... monsters a long time ago. When I realized how unoriginal I was and naming 100+ critters just wasn't going to work for me. Heck I had to use the random name generator just to name my character.
Liliana93
Carrots... yum
Carrots... yum

Post  Posted:

Can't wait to play this game for thanksgiving break, I can't play right now sadly because of a full term (15 creds) at uni. For the people playing it, is it pretty good beyond the demo?
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Okay, so i'm pretty sure all of us who have the game are busy playing it, but i'll take a little break to talk about it.

This is where i'm at right now. Almost 40 hours and I still have places on the map I haven't explored and tons of Monsters i've yet to find! I've been playing so much that my palms are super sore from holding my 3DS!

The game is incredibly fun. I'm a MH fan so I knew I was going to love it regardless, but for those not into MH at all, it plays like a very souped up Pokemon. You explore, find items, get new monsters to add to your party, and there's a 'save the world' plot. As you progress, you'll get new monsters with new abilities allowing for more exploration in new and old areas (much like TMs/HMs).

However, unlike Pokemon, there are oodles of quests to complete that give you rewards + weapons and armor to forge/upgrade. This mixes up the formula nicely and give you reason to stay in areas longer.

All of this mixed with the charming art style really makes a fun, polished RPG to add to the growing pile on the 3DS. If you even slightly like the creature-capture genre (Pokemon, Yokai Watch, Dragon Quest Monsters) then this game is for you. A lot of love went into this game and it shows.
LeBurns
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

@Bluie - I completely agree. I'm about 30 hours in and I haven't even been to the desert area yet. It's the next place to go on the MQ, but ... I just have so much to do! Really loving the game.

Only real minor faults are the texture pop-in's which were mentioned before. Pretty noticeable in larger towns. I don't have a New 3DS or 2DS but I read those are much better with the frame rates and textures.

I do have one bug, and it's a nasty one. I want to get some genes from certain monsters but I keep getting the error that I can't take genes from monsters that are in my party. The problem is, this monster is no longer in my party, but still it and all my original party of 5 are grayed out so I can't get genes from them. I've tried removing all of my party, replacing them with some newly hatched monsters, saving, battling with a totally new party, saving, switching them up again, etc. and no matter what I do I can not pull genes from my original party of five as they are stated to be still in my party. I have no clue was to why I can't pull their genes. Very frustrating, but I'll just keep hatching eggs until I find others with those genes I guess. :(
*LaI*
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

LeBurns wrote:I do have one bug, and it's a nasty one. I want to get some genes from certain monsters but I keep getting the error that I can't take genes from monsters that are in my party. The problem is, this monster is no longer in my party, but still it and all my original party of 5 are grayed out so I can't get genes from them. I've tried removing all of my party, replacing them with some newly hatched monsters, saving, battling with a totally new party, saving, switching them up again, etc. and no matter what I do I can not pull genes from my original party of five as they are stated to be still in my party. I have no clue was to why I can't pull their genes. Very frustrating, but I'll just keep hatching eggs until I find others with those genes I guess. :(
That's not really a bug, just annoying feature. Go check with the streetpass cat, the game automatically set a party with whoever you had on the first time you talked to him.
LeBurns
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

*LaI* wrote:
LeBurns wrote:I do have one bug, and it's a nasty one. I want to get some genes from certain monsters but I keep getting the error that I can't take genes from monsters that are in my party. The problem is, this monster is no longer in my party, but still it and all my original party of 5 are grayed out so I can't get genes from them. I've tried removing all of my party, replacing them with some newly hatched monsters, saving, battling with a totally new party, saving, switching them up again, etc. and no matter what I do I can not pull genes from my original party of five as they are stated to be still in my party. I have no clue was to why I can't pull their genes. Very frustrating, but I'll just keep hatching eggs until I find others with those genes I guess. :(
That's not really a bug, just annoying feature. Go check with the streetpass cat, the game automatically set a party with whoever you had on the first time you talked to him.
Thank You! Well good. Thought I was going nuts.

Well then other than the texture issues all's good then.

Is anyone here actually using a New 3DS or 2DS? Curious if the texture issues are as noticeable there. I debated buying a New 2DS just for this game (since I don't use the 3D anyway), but then I realized I'd be spending about $200 for just one game since I don't really have issues with any other games ... yet.
*LaI*
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

LeBurns wrote:Is anyone here actually using a New 3DS or 2DS? Curious if the texture issues are as noticeable there. I debated buying a New 2DS just for this game (since I don't use the 3D anyway), but then I realized I'd be spending about $200 for just one game since I don't really have issues with any other games ... yet.
I use N3DS, the regular one. The gray NPC are noticeable, but don't have the game on a O3DS. Took 3 pics approaching a group, maybe they can help you compare?

Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Maybe you have those monsties on your favorites list you can't pull genes from those I use this feature so I don't accidentally get rid of the monsters I wan't to keep.
LeBurns
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

*LaI* wrote:I use N3DS, the regular one. The gray NPC are noticeable, but don't have the game on a O3DS. Took 3 pics approaching a group, maybe they can help you compare?
Thanks for the examples. That's pretty much what I see also so I guess there isn't much difference. Save my money on buying a New 3DS then.

Like I said it doesn't ruin the game, but it's certainly noticeable.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

^Isn't that a normal thing in certain games for NPC's to do that?
LeBurns
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Anonymous Fish wrote:^Isn't that a normal thing in certain games for NPC's to do that?
Don't recall seeing it in any of the 3D SoS or HM games, or FE games, so at least for me it's something new. Maybe there are some other games with the same issue, but I've not seen or heard of them. Do you know of any?
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Samurai Warriors Chronicles have pop-in of the enemies, mainly because there's so much going on + a lot on screen. I feel this is MHS's way of being able to load the large environments + the people inhabiting them.

Having the low models load first and then fully load to the detailed models as you move closer probably helps the game function properly. The 3DS's hardware can only be pushed so far at this point. If they had made this game a N3DS exclusive, it could probably have been fixed so that everything loaded in better, but they chose not to. Probably because they were marketing this to the kid crowd in Japan, most of which probably don't have the brand spankin' new 3DS model.
Last edited by Bluie on Sep 13, 2017 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.