* Rules    * Login 

* Search  * Register
It is currently Dec 10, 2017 9:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Kikki
Post Posted: Sep 06, 2017 10:40 am 
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

This IS a farming game...but not related to HM/SoS, so I guess it belongs here.

I haven't played any of these games yet, because when I look it up, I find the Farming Simulator series confusing because it claims to be very deep and immersive, and yet, all I can get out of what I see from screenshots on websites is that you drive tractors a lot. It almost seems to be a game more about farm equipment than the farming itself, but none of the info I've found is very in depth.

Also, HM/SoS has long been a series that has more female fans than male, but as far as I can tell, Farming Simulator seems to appeal more to men. If so, I probably won't like it, as I tend to fit comfortably within the gender average on this one topic (not so much on some others, but this one, for sure.) and if it really is more about driving large tractors around, I'm going to hate it. And I can just walk over to my parents' place and drive an ACTUAL huge tractor, if I want to, so...meh. I'm very much not into machinery.

Does anyone play this series? With it claiming to be 'open world' and 'deep and immersive', it SOUNDS worth playing, but it isn't cheap so I don't want to just take my chances, and though it SOUNDS good, it LOOKS pretty bad (bad as in not to my tastes.) I don't know why I can't get enough information to form an opinion on my own, but somehow...I just can't.

« signature »
Avatar and signature image source, drawn by はにゃまる

Sanne
Post Posted: Sep 06, 2017 1:55 pm 
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

I watched some videos and it seems like it's more about the machines, and it doesn't seem like there's a way to farm as in the bokumono series, sadly.

Steam tends to have big sales if you're planning to buy it for PC, so it might be worth waiting a bit of you decide to give it a try. :)

« signature »

Kikki
Post Posted: Sep 06, 2017 2:19 pm 
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Thanks, Sanne :) I was looking at it for PS4 since I don't do much PC gaming any more. It's really expensive on there, though, and I don't want to buy it while thinking I probably won't like it...but a good farming sim is so irresistible that I can't just give up on the idea of trying it without knowing for sure what it's about.

They really focus on the machines, though. I mean the cover of the game has one front and centre with the crop very much in the background, lol. And I don't think I've seen any screenshots that include any actual characters...

Found a review that's kind of helpful. Should have looked at reviews before rather than looking in online shops. Yep, it seems like it's about the tractors and the combines. You can spend half an hour solid on your combine, harvesting your wheat. Booooring. (For me.)

So it seems like it is SOLELY a farming simulator, not a farming life simulator.

« signature »
Avatar and signature image source, drawn by はにゃまる

Getaris
Post Posted: Sep 11, 2017 9:42 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Farming Simulator 16 was on sale for like 10 cents on android so I bought it.

It seems to be pretty much identical to the one I had on the 3DS a few years ago... Just harder to control.

It's weird, I really find it dull and awkward, but here I am, watching the autopilot work on my farm and taking the wheel myself to make deliveries and change machinery for the last two hours.

Anyway, yes, the game is all about machinery.

You start with a harvester and a tractor with three add-ons (one to till, one to sow and one to carry produce around town), you plant, wait, harvest, store/sell, till, plant again, etc. There's a lot of fields in town that I assume you can buy, and you can also buy more machinery to keep a giant farm going on.

There's animals, though I'm not sure how they work yet.

Every now and then you get a quest and must drive around town to make deliveries and stuff. You also need to manage your products, seeds, gas, etc. So I'm sure eventually it gets a bit complicated when your farm grows.

I think the 2014 edition is free to play on android and maybe ios too, in case you want to try the series. It doesn't seem to vary much from year to year anyway!

« signature »