Just Starting Stardew Valley... Any Tips?

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Hi! As the topic says, I'm just looking for some beginner's tips to Stardew Valley. Nothing too spoilery, but just some direction because I'm a little overwhelmed by options (in a good way!). What crops are good to plant, which people should I prioritize befriending, what items should I hold on to, etc... I love that the game just drops you in the world and leaves it up to you, but I'd also like just a bit of direction. Thanks!!
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Im not an expert or anything, but i did play through a few years of the game. its generally safe to save at least 1 of everything you can forage, and 1 of most crops for progressing the story. I cant remember any person being more important to befriend over any other person, i would just say be friends with whoever you like best. as for crops you should plant...i personally prefer things that regrow, but i would plant a little bit of everything since you will need a variety of seasonal crops for the story later. I really think the best way to play though is to go through at your own pace and enjoy everything as you go. theres no real need to rush or anything, so even if you miss having something for one of those turn ins, i wouldnt worry too much about it and just have fun. One tip though, because this is something i didnt figure out until way too late, if you see wiggly things poking out of the ground hit them with your hoe. those are worms, and they can drop some nice things when you hit them
Rainbow Shark
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

The most profitable crop for Spring is strawberries, though you don't get those until the second half of the season, at the egg hunt. They are slightly expensive, and take a while to grow. So I would hold onto those until the next year. Summer is blueberries, and fall is cranberries. Winter is good to check out the mine (which has profitable gems and is fun to go through). You can also check out something special in the Cinder Forest on Fridays and Sundays that can help you with bundles if you decide to go the Jumino route. I would say that for an important item, there's a special egg that I would recommend putting in the incubator when you first get it, and a special rainbow gem to save for a very good weapon.

But overall, the game is most enjoyable the way you want to play! And it's a very fun game.