Gleaner Heights - A suburban gothic farming adventure

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
Minnie
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

I like that there's choice here, like you said you can leave the storyline untouched and play it as a farming sim. But as someone on the other end (and a Lovecraft-fan), the storyline is the main factor for me.
Blue Rose
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Hmmm, while im very hesitant about the "drive to suicide" aspect, I am a huge « Silly Duckie » for Twin Peaks and Lovecraftian nonsense, so color me intrigued! Not to mention it certainly takes a very unique approach, just be prepared that majority of HM/BM fans may not care for the dark approach.

Game seems quite fleshed out from trailer/summary of the basics. Will romance/marriage feature s/s options?

Also, only complaint/nitpick I can say/see outright is the lack of portraits from the characters (unless they're just not revealed yet). While I enjoy the simplistic pixel look, i feel like portraits really do help bring characters to life and feel animated, so to speak.

Otherwise looks interesting!
RopeMaidenKirie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Minnie wrote:I like that there's choice here, like you said you can leave the storyline untouched and play it as a farming sim. But as someone on the other end (and a Lovecraft-fan), the storyline is the main factor for me.
I'm with Minnie here. I'm a huge Lovecraft/Twin Peaks/Horror fan in general, and having something different like this is really exciting.

Edit: The website is up https://www.gleanerheights.com/

Also looks like it might be releasing in Feb?? Excited!
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I'm a huge fan of variety and choices in gaming, in every genre, but especially in sims. So even when games come up with style or story choices I'm not into, I like that the variety exists.

If you can play this game and choose to pursue a path that will lead to stealing someone's spouse or driving someone to suicide, but you can also avoid those paths by making different choices, that's great...with enough choice, each person can play a game they'll enjoy and no one needs to opt out based on aspects of the story that they aren't comfortable with. Of course, there are people who will reject a game based solely on a concept even existing within it, even if you don't have to choose it, but I don't think you can cater to people like that when you're hoping to make something unique. There's always going to be someone who objects, after all. I feel like you can only best make the game you would want to play yourself.

But it's been given as an option in the comments here that you could just ignore the storyline completely, and I feel driven to say that, to me, that would be an unacceptable option. (I'd be interested to know how many people would find that option a good one...how many can play just for the farming aspect of an HM/SoS type of game, assuming that this is supposed to be in that genre.) For me it would be deeply boring and pointless to play a game JUST to farm, without enjoying the characters and whatever story exists between the characters and the world they live in...that's what gives me motivation to play.
LadyCollibri
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

OH MY « Harvest Goddess » YESSS
I logged in just to say I'm already in love with this game aaa ;w;
I was waiting for something like this, a Harvest Moon game with a dark twist, I hope it realeases soon :lala:
Thanks for making one of me dreams come true, can't wait to play it!! :heart:
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Kikki wrote:snip
It depends on the person. Choice in games appeal to everyone differently. Take for instance, Undertale. It has two solid routes where you either kill everything or don't. There's also the choice to ignore both of those routes and just do whatever you want.

In the instance of farming games or yore, I had some where I stopped playing after getting married or I ignored marriage altogether just to build up my farm to perfection. As i've aged, I stopped caring about marriage candidates and enjoyed the farming aspect more. When we look at something like Stardew Valley, that game gives you extreme freedom and I think one of the reasons it's so popular is because of it. People can just farm and enjoy it. People can just go to the mines and enjoy it. People can just fish and enjoy it. The options being there is what I feel makes it so enticing.

Gleaner Heights will probably have a similar effect on people. They can just do the farming sim, get married if they want, and turn it off when they feel they're done with it while others will endeavour to do everything.

You pretty much already covered it in your post. People will object to whatever they are put off by whilst others aren't going to care at all. While I don't doubt there's an audience for the more darker themes, it all comes down to you and if you want to play the game. I mean, who hasn't skipped a game because they disagreed with something? Music, themes, graphics, you name it.

Anyways, i'm rambling. Until it's actually seen how the game handles it, it's a bit too early to judge. We also have varying morals so that's a thing to think about too.
Sanne
Crazy Cow Herder
Crazy Cow Herder

Post  Posted:

Darker content is one of my biggest weak spots, I'm interested in seeing how the game is going to handle it.
vdweller

Post  Posted:

Steam page just went live!

RopeMaidenKirie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

vdweller wrote:Steam page just went live!

Wishlisted! Any word on price yet?
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Now all I need is a actual computer.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Shan O 123 wrote:Now all I need is a actual computer.
Yeah... I feel ya. All I have is my dinky Chromebook.

One day i'll actually be able to play my steam library! It's probably too early to even think about it, but if you ever port to consoles vdweller, be sure to let us know! Until we get Animal Crossing and Bokumono on Switch, Stardew Valley is currently the only farming sim game on it right now (unless you're counting farming simulator rehash).
Trish2
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

If only it was playable for MACs :( I had always had PCs, finally got a MAC for my artwork and I am finding so many things I can't play or install because of this... wahhh
vdweller

Post  Posted:

RopeMaidenKirie wrote:
vdweller wrote:Steam page just went live!

Wishlisted! Any word on price yet?
Most likely $9.99
RopeMaidenKirie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

$9.99 is a great price! Really looking forward to it.

I've been rummaging around the internet and looking into more info on the game because I'm hype, and a lot of you will be happy to know vdweller confirmed s/s :)

Underwater and mining both seem pretty creepy, and I'm excited to choose between various perks. Here's some cool screenshots I found of various things in the game:

Spoiler:
Some of them are from the website but people may have not checked it out so figured I'd post them anyways!
Lin
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

Honestly I think it looks really cool. I guess the only thing is I'm not sure I find the placement of shops and houses on the map very... convenient? It's a bit weird to me, most useful things for your day-to-day seem far away. Whereas an abandoned villa and the mayor's house are close-by, it's a bit weird to me.