Gleaner Heights - A suburban gothic farming adventure

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
RopeMaidenKirie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Anonymous Fish wrote: Anyway, you can date in this game, right? Can you date the same gender?
Yup, you sure can! In one of the LPs I took a look at, in the character creator you can pick if you're romantically interested in men, women, or both
nightshade2010
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

just go on dantDMs you tube and send him a message he plays unusual stuff like this all the time
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

14 hours to go!
vdweller

Post  Posted:

nightshade2010 wrote:just go on dantDMs you tube and send him a message he plays unusual stuff like this all the time
Sent ,thanks!
Blue Rose
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Steam page says approx. less than an hour! Very exciting!!

Im gonna purchase it day one so if anyone still on the fence has any questions feel free or w/e.

Edit: and its out! Yay! Will get it later today, first got some errands to do. :x
Blue Rose
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

*kicks down the door*

Sooooo super basic 1-hour preview-review time!

Pros:
-Great atmosphere
-Interesting characters
-great set up, particularly the suspenseful events in particular
-backgrounds in general are really nice to look at, even for pixel stuff
-great music

Cons:
-Keyboard controls are suuuuuuuuuuper dee duper clunky
-Game lags especially coming out of buildings, heard of some crashing for others
-You have to be VERY precise with this game and with clunky controls that's a mess
-Low options for customization, particularly for hair. Idk, maybe I'm weird but I was just bummed at the lack of proper red/purple hair color options.
-lack of portraits (personal con for me)

It's a rough start so far, but it seems like it's going to be a slow burn kind of game and has quite a bit of promise.

Some feedback for dev if you're on:
1.) For tool use/precision, I'd recommend coming up with some kind of "shadow" feature that allows you to see where you're tool is going that way you don't accidentally plant/water in the wrong spot.
2.) I mentioned this in the steam forum, but I'm losing crops and I'm not sure if that's a glitch or an early on feature, lol.
3.) Auto-run feature for keyboard, pretty please!

EDIT: So apparently the rain thing is an intended feature. So for those who end up getting the game: DO NOT plant your seeds on a rainy day or a clear day when the next day will be rain. There is a chance the rain will wash away your seeds.
Last edited by Blue Rose on Feb 21, 2018 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LadyCollibri
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

Just bought it!! :lol: I'm very excited to play it :lala:
Panda Parfait
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

I've played about 3 hours so far! Some of my thoughts, I mostly agree with Blue Rose:

If you can play with a controller, I definitely suggest that you do. It feels SO much better than keyboard. I'd also recommend turning the dead zone way up because the default is really sensitive.

Crazy amount of Twin Peaks references lol

Atmosphere is great, you really get the sleepy/unsettling little town feeling, especially at night.

Money is a little slow to earn and I've only had once cutscene. I might just be terrible at finding them? I've basically just been farming and mining or murdering stuf in the forest on repeat since I started. Still enjoying myself and am excited for things to ramp up though, I'm pretty interested in that sinning stat in the menu.

Also small tip, crops become impassable once they grow to a certain point so don't plant them in classic 9x9 plots.
Blue Rose wrote:Some feedback for dev if you're on:
1.) For tool use/precision, I'd recommend coming up with some kind of "shadow" feature that allows you to see where you're tool is going that way you don't accidentally plant/water in the wrong spot.
I second this! I've wasted a ton of stamina thinking I'm going to hit something but end up missing it.
*LaI*
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Panda Parfait wrote:If you can play with a controller, I definitely suggest that you do. It feels SO much better than keyboard. I'd also recommend turning the dead zone way up because the default is really sensitive.
This here so much. I changed to a controller today, that I don't normally like, and the difference is huge.
vdweller

Post  Posted:

Fixing bugs as we speak. Will improve thumbstick movement with a run enable/disable option, as well as a run lock for keyboard!

At this point I'd like to say that if any of you who liked the game hasn't left a review in the store yet, please do so! The game suffered greatly during its first hours from the Stardew Valley shilling brigade and it's still recovering...
Blue Rose
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

First patch is now available which is exciting! I can't play it right at this moment but im eager to test the auto run out and see if that helps me. I got a better handle of the controls when i stuck to the left sides arrow keys, but i hate when i lose stamina every time i sccidently roll instead of run, lol.

In their report, dev said they patched a lot of early on bugs, which is good. Im hoping some of the lag was toned down (or maybe that's just my computer being a little « Baaaa *glomp* »).

Anywho, wikis are starting to get on a role. I've been trial and erroring gifts when i can and given some feedback, but some progress.

Main thing is that myself and many others have barely touched the surface of what the game has to offer, which is nice. Its a slow burn kind of game but I feel like there is a lot of long term rewards, in terms of content. It is very "sink or swim, no hand holding" kind of gameplay and requires you to be patient and expiremental. Which is going to appeal to a lot of folks, but also lead to a little frustration for some. Which is normal, and will lessen especially as the guides and wikis start fleshing out more.

The only thing that i think still needs semi-major attention is mining. At its current state, I think what it really needs to be a lot more smoother is a "escape rope" feature in that an item or something allows you to go back to the beginning of the mine without having to actually manually go back up.

I know you already have some kind of "milestone" level that sort of works like this in terms of progressing the mine. But i think, especially for early on players, some kind of feature that would allow you to go back to the beginning with ease but youd have to start from the beginning again of you didn't make it to a certain point, would be a better middle ground between having enough challenge.

Because imo, its less that its a challenge, cause it can be done. Its just an absolute drag to go all the way back (esp with how hard it can be to find the stairs) and unless you know the milestone point, you're gonna not want to go deep in cause youll have to back track even further.

Edit: now having expanded some of my perks further, i do see how certain perks can speed up the process, but i do think a "go back to start" for the stairs in general would be a good idea.

And tonight (or tomorrow) I'll definitely leave a review! Really just wanted to play more to get a solid grip of the game. And while the game did get a bunch of stupid stink reviews (when they barely played more than 30 minutes...) Its at a mostly positive standing now and as time goes on I'm 100% confident more positive reviews will come in. Especially as the game gets more and more polished. Word of mouth will spread and $10 less is a great price so im positive itll work out. Just gotta give it time for folks to really get to the meat of the game, imo.
RopeMaidenKirie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Having spent awhile with the game now, and I'm enjoying it a lot! Still only in the beginning of spring but got a handle on the mechanics pretty quickly and have been having a great time figuring out things. I know some people are complaining that there's not much direction, but I've found it pretty refreshing, personally. Nighttime might be my favorite part of the game, it's super creepy and I love it

Also Lee
Spoiler:
is a super « Duck Quacker » omg. « What The Eggplant » dude >:( Poor Matilda..
Really excited to start leveling up stuff, get a fishing rod, and unlocking more scenes.

Thanks Vdweller for the keeping involved in the community and being speedy with the patches! Any hints on content updates after the bugs are mostly ironed out?
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

[quote="RopeMaidenKirie"]Also Lee [spoiler]is a super « Duck Quacker » omg. « What The Eggplant » dude >:( Poor Matilda..[/spoiler][/quote]

if i may ask what happened that made you comment like that???
Blue Rose
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Anonymous Fish wrote:
RopeMaidenKirie wrote:Also Lee
Spoiler:
is a super « Duck Quacker » omg. « What The Eggplant » dude >:( Poor Matilda..
if i may ask what happened that made you comment like that???
Lee... (spoilers)
Spoiler:
chokes/abuses his wife in an event. He sells drugs and abuses his wife. He's a prick. Lol
Lin
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

I definitely still want to get this game... but lately there's no point because I'm too busy. xD; Still have an exam left and project due...