Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Has anyone here played this game at all? It seems to be a mix of farming and exploring an open world sprinkled with sidequests. I hadn't even heard of it until this morning as apparently it's being ported to Switch (leaked by a retailer).
Spoiler:
Most of the complaints about it i've seen is that there's no enemies and that people wanted more from it. IDK, it looks up my alley (I love relaxing exploration games) and I was wondering if anyone around here has played the PS4/PC release?

Here's a trailer from last year for those interested:
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I have it on PS4. Wish I'd known it would be coming to Switch, but oh well. It's very pretty, and that's the main reason I am not sorry I bought it...clearing the murk is fun...but honestly, it gets a bit boring. The goals are not compelling and the characters are all very flat...no backstories or anything like that. But it's beautiful to wander around...some of the areas in particular (I love the grey trees with the pink flowers and that deep sort of teal grass in one area).

It's definitely a game where you have to create your own fun, cuz if you can't, it'll be very dull to play.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Understandable, it's more eye candy than anything, and I think i'll be fine with that. One of the big reasons I liked Breath of the Wild is just discovering new places and taking in the beauty. While I do enjoy action RPGs quite a bit, I found myself grated on BoTW's enemies after beating the game / just wanting to finish the map. Especially the freaking Yiga clan that spawn forever until the end of time. Just, screw off, I want to take selfies in peace lol.

A pretty open world with no enemies and a fishing(!!!!) mini game? Yeah, i'm sold.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

My sister restarted her BotW game because she did Vah Naboris earlier than she needed to and the Yiga drove her CRAZY. I've done that part of the game, too, and very rarely have any Yiga attack me, seemingly because I never use the roads...they only seem to attack you when you are travelling an actual road/path, and especially at bridges. (My sister seems to be guaranteed to be attacked any time she crosses a bridge.) Whereas I never take roads. I'm almost always travelling as the crow flies and climbing mountains and then sailing down the other side to get to my destination, and the Yiga do not climb or glide, so just playing the way I usually do, that problem didn't really happen to me.

Yonder is not majestic like BotW often is...it's landscape doesn't have that feeling of vastness and gravitas...it leans much more to the cute, and when it surpasses 'cute', it tends to be pretty and maybe even beautiful...but in a smaller, younger-feeling way. I'm not sure how to describe it. It's very nice to look at but...more cartoony? I guess? I can't quite think of what words to use to express the difference.

If I was buying it again, I would only buy it on a sale...but I would still get it, even though I have not yet finished it. I need a more compelling story to motivate me to go back to it. But if you can do without a strong story or deep characters then it's quite a nice game, and if you just like to wander around, Yonder is probably perfect.