Yasuhiro Wada's new game - Little Dragons Cafe

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
RopeMaidenKirie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/0 ... his_summer

Coming to Switch and PS4 sometime later this summer via Aksys! Has been in development for over 2 years
The story opens with a twin brother and sister learning to cook and manage a small café under their mother's tutelage. All was peaceful and routine until one morning when the twins discover that their mother has fallen into a deep sleep and won't wake up. Suddenly, a strange old man appears to inform them that they must raise a dragon in order to save her. Working together with three quirky café employees, the two siblings must figure out how to a wrangle a dragon and manage the family business while finding a way to save their mother.
Some features:
Dragon Husbandry - Embrace your parental instincts and raise your very own dragon! Through wise decisions, proper nutrition, and empathetic nurturing show the world the true potential of your dragon companion!

Culinary Capitalism - Learn new recipes and master the art of cooking while running your very own café. Explore the world, discover new ingredients, and expand your menu (and your restaurant) while catering to the whims of your customers.

Grow Your Own - The tastiest dishes use the freshest ingredients, and the best way to insure that is to grow your own produce. Till the land and fish the rivers to gather the most flavorful fixings for your signature dishes.

Serve the People - Feeding is nurturing, so you not only cook for your neighbors, but also help them with their problems to increase your popularity and the general happiness of everyone around you.

Sounds really promising!
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Sounds like a combination of a breeder game like Dragon City, a time-management game like cake-mania (or any other game where you make food and serve it to waiting customers), and bokumono.

That's cool. I have no idea if I'd like it or not (I didn't enjoy Birthdays, but that wasn't actually anything like bokumono, imo...this has more in common with what I like) but it's definitely worth keeping an eye on! Looks like the graphics are going to be cutesy, which I do not at all mind (unless it's a game in which marriage is an option. I can't look at cutesy baby-waby characters and think 'ooh yeah, let's marry that!', not even if it's just the style of the entire game and not indicative of true age.)

It'll be interesting to learn more. Looking forward to whenever they'll have a trailer for it :)

EDIT: Apparently this is going to be released late summer of this year? It's surprising that it's not far off. I thought maybe it was going to be in 2019 or something, since they didn't have any screenshots or anything.
Last edited by Kikki on Feb 22, 2018 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
RopeMaidenKirie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Yeah, I'm cautiously optimistic because this feels more like a "going back to roots" pun intended return to form for him after HTS and Birthdays. Also something I'm curious about, is that the artwork looks undoubtedly like Bokumono's artist Matsuyama's work
Spoiler:
Image Image
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

They do look very alike. I really liked the overall style of SoS, that sort of soft watercolour look it had. It seems like the game is basically about raising a dragon while running your mom's cafe and trying to find a cure for her...and making friends with villagers and helping them with their problems (probably questing or giving them stuff you grow or make, I'm guessing). Sounds pretty good...but I'd love to see more screenshots or a video.
Ehppy
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Post  Posted:

Ahh this is exciting!
I haven't really played any of Wada's games aside from the BokuMono titles, so it's hard to say much without any gameplay footage or screenshots to go off of, but features-wise this sounds very much like something I would enjoy, and the artwork is adorable.
And it's planned for a release so soon! Fingers crossed that it comes to NA.

Thanks for the thread, this is one I'll be keeping my eye on. :)
RopeMaidenKirie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

That surprised me too about the summer release, but yeah since it's being published by Aksys (sounds like a joint effort between Wada and Aksys since the Aksys CEO and him have been friends for years apparently) we don't actually have to wait for a localization or anything :D
Ehppy
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Post  Posted:

Oh, really? I didn't know, that's extra exciting! :)
And it's coming to Switch, too. That's very interesting. No complaints here, as I imagine it's something my siblings would be interested in too.

I love waking up and learning of a brand new game on the horizon, hahah.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

There's something I'm curious about. It says it stars a brother and sister. This makes me wonder if the game will have you play BOTH characters, or if you have to choose one to play as at the beginning and stick with that one.

If it is the latter, then that suggests to me that there might be gender-specific options in the game. Like being able to customize your character, or date/marry, or etc.

Well it sounds like it's due out in Aug/Sept 2018, and it's been in development for two years already, so more screenshots at the least should be forthcoming in the near future, I would guess. And hopefully in a few months, a short trailer. Pure speculation and wishful thinking, of course, because right now I only know enough to be curious, not to say whether it's a game I want or not.
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

This actually seems like something I'd play compared to his other two titles. Looking forward to more information on this game; glad it has a Switch release in mind.
Blue Rose
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Obligatory purchase simply cause DRAGONS.

On a side note, its already better than HTS in that at least the art is 10x better. But we'll see how the gameplay turns out. Hopefully lessons were learned after HTS.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Oh cool, guess i'm buying two Wada games this summer (Happy Birthdays and this). I'm going to be cautiously optimistic as I was really excited for Home Town Story and it was just a big disappointment. I wanted to love it, but it was just too tedious to be enjoyable.

But hey, i'm always willing to give devs a second chance. I'll look forward to seeing it in action. I was wondering what Aksys has been up to besides fighting games and otomes. Mildly surprised Natsume isn't handling it.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I don't keep track of individual names of people on development teams, so I didn't know that Yasuhiro Wada was involved in Hometown Story when I bought it. (They made a big deal of it with Birthdays the Beginning, so I did know, that time, but I didn't really like it, either. It was 'okay', but if you play it once there's no reason to ever play it again, imo...it just wasn't interesting enough to hold up to two plays.)

Hometown Story was probably the most boring game I've ever played. (Though I do know a few people who liked it specifically *because* there was less you had to do in it.) Realizing that that's his history does not fill me with confidence, especially since I wasn't even into the early bokumono games, either, and those are the ones he was involved in.

But I'm still pretty curious and will definitely tune in any time the game comes up with more information.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Yasuhiro Wada created his own company called Toybox after he split with Marvelous. I feel like he's really being experimental as the company has released two varied simulation games (HTS and Birthdays), and a handful of visual novels (Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters and it's re-release being the ones we got).

I am intrigued by the two titles Toybox is bringing out this year, this and a VN called 'World End Syndrome', but it feels like he's still getting his footing. I want to support him as I see a lot of potential and i'd like to see him succeed. HTS was shaky, Birthdays is interesting, TTGH is decent.

I'm kinda hoping Aksys picks up World End Syndrome eventually too, but they are just drowning in otomes.
Katgirl
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

This definitely feels like Hometown Story 2: Now with Dragons. I'm definitely intrigued by the dragon aspect but I mean you could add in dragons to pretty much any game and my interest would double lol. I'm interested to see if the dragon husbandry aspect means:
1) that there's branching development paths like elemental alignment and different appearances, I think the Chaos from Sonic are the most well known example of what I'm talking about. Your children's personality in AP is also a good example.
2) Just your average "you can customize your character with hundreds of options however you want! And by however you want we mean choose to be a melee or magic build and just shove all your points into those stats. Btw there is one build that's vastly superior to the rest but we won't tell you which (: Oh and by hundreds of options we mean there's hundreds of equipment options that you'll wear for an hour max until you get a better one with a higher number (:" type of customization.

I'd definitely prefer 1 to 2. However since we don't have any gameplay like everyone I'm more than a little wary.
JayDucky03
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Please have relationships. Please please please!

But this sounds really fun. It might (if they do it correctly) be a game version of Erin!