Chucklefish's Project Spellbound officially named Witchbrook

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
RopeMaidenKirie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Plus a few new tidbits (this was posted a few weeks ago before the name Witchbrook was officially announced, so the article still calls it Spellbound)

https://www.redbull.com/int-en/spellbou ... -interview

(Quoted the most interesting bits to me personally, read more at the link above!)

Inspiration for Witchbrook:
"Spellbound is our exploration of that premise, but the magical world we're creating is very unlike Hogwarts. Magic in this world is very practical, taking inspiration from Terry Pratchett's Tiffany Aching series, Garth Nix's Old Kingdom Series, Studio Ghibli animations, and even the cartoon show Steven Universe at times." That's quite a mixture of inspirations, and should hopefully calm any fears people have of this being little more than Potter without the licence.
Game details:
"The game revolves around your path through school, the relationships you build, and your mastery of the several schools of magic at your disposal," Brice explains. "Players should expect to build up their magical proficiency by undertaking school projects. This might have them growing magical crops and creatures in herbology or taking on the denizens of the forest in elemental magic. School life is just as important as magic however; a lot of time will be spent meeting and befriending the varied cast of characters, taking on quests, awkward attempts at dating and a host of side activities."
Relationships:
Relationships were a key component of Stardew Valley, and Brice claims that they'll be one of the most surprising elements of Spellbound. "We're expecting players to be a little shocked the first time they get dumped," he says. "We're attempting to portray a gameworld in which the characters have their own motivations and desires. We want the player to feel as if they're part of an autonomous world rather than a world that revolves around their desires."
Combat:
That's not to say that things won't become a little tense from time to time, of course. Spellbound isn't just going to be focused on your studies, and your relationships with other students – combat will also be a significant part of the game. Brice explains that it will take inspiration from one of the most famous fantasy series in gaming history. "Combat in Spellbound is very much reminiscent of Zelda-like retro action RPGs, with spellcasting taking the place of swords, bows and bombs. Players will be able to unlock and combine elements to activate new spells that they can then take into the game's forest dungeon, where all sorts of rewards await."
Replayability:
One thing that Chucklefish are keen to stress with Spellbound is the openness of the whole experience. While your academic route through the school might seem linear, there's plenty of scope for replayability. "We want to tell lots of little character-centric stories so Spellbound won't have one big linear story arc," comments Brice. "It's going to be a game with lots of variety, and lots to explore and master. Like Stardew, we want it to be a game you can come back to time and again so we certainly see it as offering a similar length of playtime."
Here's the old thread we had on the game with pictures from last year: http://fogu.com/hmforum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=173585&
rachellion
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

This looks super cool! I'm super down for a wizard-school sim :lol: Really curious to see when they drop a release date...
Panda Parfait
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

I'm so so excited for this game, I hope it's not super far off. The art style is beautiful!
"We're attempting to portray a gameworld in which the characters have their own motivations and desires. We want the player to feel as if they're part of an autonomous world rather than a world that revolves around their desires."
Love hearing this, most games like this tend to have characters who have nothing going on outside of interacting with you and I've always found that kind of disappointing. I'm ready to be dumped by cute witches.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I'm super into this. If they manage to make this game as entertaining as the Mana Khemia duology (school, alchemy, combat, relationships), then i'm so down. I'll probably buy it regardless, but now i'm extra excited.
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I can't wait for this! I'm hoping a simultaneous release on all current consoles and PC is in its future; would love this on the Switch.
Lenna36
Spinich Bodyguard
Spinich Bodyguard

Post  Posted:

Inspiration for Witchbrook:
"Spellbound is our exploration of that premise, but the magical world we're creating is very unlike Hogwarts. Magic in this world is very practical, taking inspiration from Terry Pratchett's Tiffany Aching series, Garth Nix's Old Kingdom Series, Studio Ghibli animations, and even the cartoon show Steven Universe at times." That's quite a mixture of inspirations, and should hopefully calm any fears people have of this being little more than Potter without the licence.
^Sold! I love the Discworld. :)
Relationships:
Relationships were a key component of Stardew Valley, and Brice claims that they'll be one of the most surprising elements of Spellbound. "We're expecting players to be a little shocked the first time they get dumped," he says. "We're attempting to portray a gameworld in which the characters have their own motivations and desires. We want the player to feel as if they're part of an autonomous world rather than a world that revolves around their desires."
^This is going to be good in my opinion. I think we get too used to having all NPCs fall for our MC. It'll be nice to see them have more character (hopefully of the more sassier variety).
Sir Stardust
Pick Potatos, not boogers
Pick Potatos, not boogers

Post  Posted:

On an unrelated note, TIFFANY ACHING! I've been wanting to reread those books, but couldn't remember her name or what they were called! D:

Anyway, I've got no idea what it's about, but if it's taking inspiration from all these things I love, I'm in!
cinnamon_yuki
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Good news for me! I just bought a PC so I would be able to get this once this is out. XD I hope it will not be long now.
Ida
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I am extremely excited for this game! Would love to play it on my Switch, I feel like this could be a really great portable game <3. I'll be buying it regardless so I am stoked to learn more.