Masterpost of Farming Simulation Games that aren't HM/SoS/RF

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
Getaris
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Wait what about plants vs zombies?

Does that cross the line?
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Getaris wrote:Wait what about plants vs zombies?

Does that cross the line?
Ehhhhh, I think that might be pushing it? Idk as it's a tower defence game with a plant skin. Not really farming + gardening in the sense the other games are.
Getaris
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Well the games do come with te zen garden mode. There you raise and keep little plants. Though I'm not sure how in depth it is, it's been a long time since I played.

Talking about that, I know another two games where you raise plants in a more zen kinda way. There's Viridi for steam, a game where you keep and raise succulent plants in a little planter, and Hello Flowerz, a DSiWare/PS Mini game where you raise flowers to participate in contests and fill your garden.

Of the two Hello Flowerz is the most involved one, requiring you to fertilize and water your flowers with precise amounts at regular intervals to keep them healthy.

Both use real time to grow plants.

Also, anyone else here remembers the flower gardening game that nintendo/some other dev announced all the way back then when the 3DS was about to come out? I really wish they had released it...
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Ah, yeah, I forgot about the Zen Garden mode. I guess that does count. I can probably add Viridi too.

I looked into Hello Flowerz and it's MIA on the PSN (at least in my region) and the DSi shop closed last year, so it seems to be gone forever?

Are you thinking of Flower Town on the 3DS? The streetpass game? I was thinking of adding it but it's very possible it may become obsolete in the future, making it unplayable, so i'm mixed on it.
Getaris
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

DSiWare is alive and well on the 3DS. And I'm not sure if all minis are available everywhere but PS minis are (were?) a PSP/PS3/Vita-only thing. I have it downloaded on my Vita and my 3DS.

Interestingly, the DS game has girly gardening girl giving you directions and encouragement, while on the PSP it's just a disembodied voice. Also the greenhouse background is more flowery on the DS. For some reason.

And no, it was a project by EA. Searched around for it, it was called My Garden... And it looked very cool.

https://www.unseen64.net/2012/02/12/my- ... cancelled/

It's like... A SUPER early 3DS project.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Had to do some digging, but I found the mini. The search bar on the PSN is a hot mess. I'll add it.

Annnd before anyone points out that I 'forgot' the Vita and PS3 versions of Plants vs Zombies, I didn't. It was taken off the store a few years ago as the license expired and EA didn't care to renew it. You can't purchase it anymore. RIP.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Um, does Wytchwood count? It definitely appears to have growing things in addition to foraging them. (You're an old witch who makes potions to curse people with to punish them for being horrible people or etc, at least as far as I can tell.) It's supposed to be coming in 2018 but I can't tell if that's working as planned or not as the indie company seems to keep their news/updates to themselves...I couldn't find much other than that they're looking for an extra programmer for one of their other projects. This article gave more detail than the game's Steam page seems to.

Maybe a game to add once there are more concrete updates to be found?
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Yeah, it doesn't seem to be dead/abandoned, but there hasn't been an update since early December last year besides them trying to hire a 3D artist in February for their other game. Once there's some more info, (as in an actual update as to where the game is at this year) then i'll add it then.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Iirc, they first announced it on Oct 31 of 2017 and the only new info since then was a few screenshots in December. I wonder if they're thinking of releasing it on Halloween, too. Pure wild speculation on my part, I just remember finding it a bit funny that a game called Wytchwood made its first public appearance on Halloween.

It's got nice graphics and has a unique premise, so I hope they're continuing on it. It doesn't seem like they've abandoned any of their other games so...hopeful? We'll see!
Terranigma Freak
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Ok, I just played like 15 or so hours of Yonder the Cloud Catcher Chronicles and I can give my first impressions.

This is NOT a Harvest Moon style game. This is more of an open world exploration game. There is a farm, but from what I experienced so far, it's very limited. You build a farm, and grow trees and raise animals. Here's the thing, it's not very involving like Harvest Moon. You just build what you need and let the farm do it' thing. You hire helpers, round up animals, and then things just happen by themselves as you explore the world. Your farm provides you with goods, but these good as mainly used for either bartering or crafting. So say you have an animal you rounded up that produces milk. You'll get milk everyday (I think) and you can take that milk to exchange for other items, or use to craft things. That's all they do.

Here's the thing, this game has NO money or combat system. You just explore the world and discover things. The central driving force of the game are the spirits you collect. Spirits are hidden all over the world. Finding them will help you clear the murk that's plaguing this world. The murk are little dorms of dark energy blocking off certain areas in the game. Different murk require different amount of spirits to erase. Your task is to find more spirits and find the murk to clear them. Although the murk does block certain areas, this game is still and open world game. The murk only blocks off very small sections of the map, and never a huge chunk... well except for one story area that I don't know the importance of yet. But otherwise, you are free to explore the world. Nothing will attack you or bother you. At worse you walk into deep water and drown, then quickly respawn by the edge.

The world is huge, but not too big. It's probably one of the smaller open world areas out there. However, it's still huge. I think each themed area is about the size of Hyrule Field (just the field itself, not the whole world) in Zelda OOT. There are 6 or 7 of these large areas. You run around and collect everything out there: ranging from vines, rocks, plants, ores, fish, clothing, hair styles, and « Harvest Goddess » knows what else I am forgetting. You can chop wood, mine ores, break boulders, catch fish, and among other activities to gather crafting materials. Animals for your farm are rounded up from the field by feeding them the right kinds of food. Once they like you, they will follow you for a certain amount of time until you bring them to your farm. Each area has its own farm. The farms are small though, so again, don't expect Harvest Moon. It's closer to Zelda without dungeons or bad guys. Expect TONS of running around and picking up « Cow Poopoo » while exploring. The game does have day and night cycles as well as seasons. A lot of that I think has to do with what kind of fish appears when... or something. I know there was a pond that dried up in the summer allowing me access to magical constellations (that only serves as display purposes at night I guess?). There are warp points and teleporters scattered about to make life easier. The name of the game is EXPLORE EXPLORE EXPLORE! You can also ride the animals you tame for your farm for speedier travel.

Another thing you shouldn't expect are character relationships. There's a very simple (?) story and the characters themselves don't have personality or backstory. You can hire some of them to work on your ranch. It mainly consists of bringing them food a couple of times until they automatically tell you they want to work at your ranch. That's it. The side quests are mainly fetch quests, sadly. There are guild quests where you learn the skills to craft a ton of « Cow Poopoo », but that comes back to running around collecting things to use to craft.

So again, don't expect Harvest Moon. It might also start a little slow, but as you explore and discover more spirits to clean murk, you'll be running around with so much to do. You could be running to this area to complete a quest, only to side track cause you discover something else you want to explore. My one gripe is that since the game doesn't offer any value to loot that you find, many times you'll clear up a cave or discover a hidden area only to find more potentially useless loot. Like cosmetic « Cow Poopoo » that I don't care about.

One thing I want to point out for the PC version. The game is beautiful, but I don't know why the system requirements are so high. I have an i5 6300 and GTX 960m and the game stutters like crazy during weird times with only a few settings on high. They recommend a GTX 970. The game looks great, but no way in hell is it a GTX 970 game. The game's graphics are very charming a beautiful, but I don't see them as being technically demanding. Whatever, just something to keep in mind if you buy it on PC. This shouldn't be an issue if you play on The Switch or PS4.

Last edited by Terranigma Freak on Apr 24, 2018 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Thanks for the thoughts TF. I'm certainly looking forward to the Switch version at the end of May. I went and pre ordered it yesterday so now the waiting game begins. :3
venus14!
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

Final Fantasy Fables : Chobobo's Dungeon on the Wii : https://www.gamepressure.com/games/fina ... eon/z01fde

Odin Sphere lets you plant stuff too... : http://cynosuregaming.com/wp-content/up ... _large.jpg
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I'll add the Chocobo game, but not Odin Sphere. You're not really tending crops, but quickly growing fruit/veg for HP. I'm looking for games that have a chunk of their gameplay dedicated to a garden or farm that you tend to, as that's what most are looking for. Odin Sphere's healing mechanics just happen to be plant related, and that's really it.
venus14!
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

Bluie wrote:I'll add the Chocobo game, but not Odin Sphere. You're not really tending crops, but quickly growing fruit/veg for HP. I'm looking for games that have a chunk of their gameplay dedicated to a garden or farm that you tend to, as that's what most are looking for. Odin Sphere's healing mechanics just happen to be plant related, and that's really it.
Oh yes! :o :!: I remembered another one! :) Legend of Mana for the PS1! :) :!: : http://mana.wikia.com/wiki/Trent
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Has anyone mentioned Graveyard Keeper, yet?

I'm not sure of it because I don't know if it includes farming or gardening. It may have groundskeeping or something like that...not sure...but it seems to be getting lumped in with games that take inspiration from HM/SoS/RF/Stardew, so I thought I'd put it here just to keep it in mind, at least. It does have crafting and foraging for sure, anyway. I saw mention of a festival in there somewhere so it may also have social aspects, but I couldn't get a firm idea of the full scope of this game or its goal from what I've found so far. It appears to be available only in Alpha right now.