New and tentative game announcements

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I liked reading this interview with the Dragon Quest XI folks.

EDIT: Hey, Falcom is considering turning Tokyo Xanadu into a franchise! I don't know how to feel about that. Honestly, story-wise it was weak compared to the Trails games. Story-driven, yeah, but the story itself was rather flimsy, at least for me. But the combat was actually super fun! Which is something I almost never say (I think the only other time I said it was for Tales of Xillia, and apparently everyone else hates the combat in that game, so...I may be less than reliable in representing overall opinions of battle systems.) I just really liked the aerial/jump attacks, and the fact that I found everything fairly easy to remember, even the weaknesses. Honestly I didn't like TX enough to play it a second time, I don't think, as the story was a bit too shallow for me, so I'm not sure I would play a sequel...but it was interesting news to me, anyway.

NEXT DAY EDIT: The Nameless Chronicles has already gotten a release date for Switch. I'm still a little bit interested in it.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Sorry for the double post, but even more information has come up on Torna: The Golden Country, and it yet again makes it look as though this might be playable even if you don't own the main game. They even seem to be suggesting that those who haven't played XC2 yet might enjoy playing Torna first. So I'm really confused on whether or not this could be bought and played totally separate or not.

Also, nice that it has all its own musical pieces. :)
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I love the sample of the battle theme they played in the trailer. It's super :heart: :heart: :heart:

I can't wait for it. I wanted more Xenoblade 2 and i'm getting it!
Mikodesu
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Another game off of Twitter from the abyss of "I don't know when it'll be done". But this one comes with an animated and voice acted teaser trailer?

Called The Coral Cave, it's a point and click adventure game made of watercolor backgrounds and hand-drawn animation. ;_; And it's SO PRETTY. Long live 2d animation.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I was looking at the Torna: The Golden Country information on Nintendo's site, and it really looks like it will be playable WITHOUT the main game...that only the Expansion Pass is not playable without the main game. That is really unusual. And if that's the case, it must be a pretty darned big story (which: yay!). They're charging $40 for it afaik (CAD) and that's the price of many full games on 3DS, at least.

So right now my understanding is that you cannot play Torna: TGC without the main game if you bought it through the expansion pass, but that if you buy its physical version, you can play it without the main game. (I think the physical version also comes with a code for the remainder of the Expansion Pass content...but that code would not be usable unless you own the main game.) Though I bet the confusion will not completely be gone until after it's released and we all see for ourselves how it works...

Grumbles!
Spoiler:
I often feel cheated by being a big fan of any game/series in particular. If you're a fan who loves the stuff so much you can't wait and you buy day one, you either miss out on the better deals that come later (perhaps better to persuade more uncertain customers?) or you have to pay double. If I had known that Torna would come out separately with its own physical copy, I probably would have waited to buy it. I just often feel like Nintendo is laughing at those who love their games the most, and happily taking advantage of our excitement for what we're the most into. If I had waited, I'd have all the same content but I'd also have the physical version, all for the same price, but because I didn't, I'd have to spend an extra $40 over those who did if I want the physical version (which I somewhat do). :( Feels like people who bought the expansion pass should either get the physical version for free (hah!) since we put the full amount of money into it already, or at least receive a code for a sizeable discount on it.

While I'd like to have the cart and the box, it's mostly that I'd like the option to be able to play Torna completely independent of the rest of the game. I am disgruntled by my current understanding of how this all works. (PS: Am I the only one who thinks that 'disgruntled' sounds the opposite of how it should? So if you're gruntled, you're happy? But gruntled sounds very grumpy! I feel like I'm totally gruntled, not DIS-gruntled.)
EDIT: This is stupid, but I have since I first saw it been tempted by Air Mail. It's stupid because I'm horrible at any games that require quick reaction times. (So no flight or driving simulators.) It looks easy in that footage, but those are the training flights, lol. They probably don't reflect the difficulty level very accurately.

EDIT 2: Hey, news on 'London Detective Mysteria'! (AKA: Eikoku Tantei Mysteria) Happy to see a bunch of screenshots in there.
RopeMaidenKirie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Super excited about London Detective Mysteria! It's definitely the one otome game I'll shell out for day one this year. Extremely happy that 'Mama Trails' Brittany is leading the project. She does amazing work on the Trails series, so I'm sure the localization is gonna be A+.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Tfw not on something I can play, but eh, it's alright. It's cool they finally officially announced it. Vita still has a little life left in it yet.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Mysteria is actually not my thing, from the look of it, as I dislike noble or princess type female leads. Not that there can't be exceptions, but I really dislike the heroine's design with the big vacantly innocent eyes and the poufy, pink frilly dress. She could turn out to be just fine but the LOOK of her is a big turn-off for me as characters who are designed to look that way usually have personalities that really annoy me.

However I completely intend to buy this game no matter what. Day one. I'm really pleased that Xseed is doing an otome game and I want to make sure I support that. :) And the story might be really interesting. Plus the heroine could turn out to be fine and not be the cream-puff ultra-girly damsel-in-distress she looks like she will be. I'll cross my fingers on that, but yeah...gonna buy it anyway, lol.

Didn't know who was on the project but Brittany is definitely a point in the game's favour!

EDIT: Ys VIII is still not on the eshop. -__-
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Kikki wrote:
EDIT: Ys VIII is still not on the eshop. -__-
Welp, probably will just show up on the day of release. Most NISA games do (Penny Punching Princess for example). Still, understandably annoying.
RopeMaidenKirie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Hopefully you don't plan on playing with the Japanese voice dialogue, because NISA isn't releasing it until mid July lol. They have a bunch of patches to release because....yeah. Honestly, what a « Cow Poopoo » show.
Patch v1.01
Short Description: Fixes include adjustment to Nintendo Switch auto-sleep function, incorrect icons displaying, and text refinements.
Current Status: Ready for Launch
Actual Live Date: June 26

Patch v1.02
Short Description: Addressing crash issues, some aesthetic issues, and text refinements.
Current Status: Testing Round 2
Expected Live Date: Launch week

Patch v1.03
Short Description: Text refinements.
Current Status: Testing Round 1
Expected Live Date: Week after launch

Patch v1.04
Short Description: Japanese Voice Implementation and aesthetic refinements during cutscenes.
Current Status: Testing Round 1
Expected Live Date: Mid July 2018
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I'm actually buying it physical but I did want to see the eshop listing in advance. Oh well!

I plan on playing with the English dialogue...I've heard it's actually quite good but I almost always play with the English audio anyway. The only way I switch to Japanese is if the English battle audio is irritating. (XC2 really tempts me to go with the Japanese, because all the THINK YOU CAN TAKE ME? and DON'T FORGET ME! starts to drive a girl mad...)

I watched a video review and saw some text errors in there, from simple ones where a single letter was left out at the beginning of the second line, to repeated lines, to some that were unintelligible because they left a line still in Japanese, but I wasn't really bothered...I still understood what was going on. Overall, text errors don't really upset me. Sometimes they make me laugh, like when Aksys said that the heroine of Collar X Malice was watching Kageyuki's 'backside shake' (and at the most serious moment of the story, too!) but... well they just don't really bother me. They'd do so if I couldn't understand the story because they were just that bad, but from what I saw, that's not the case. Plus they're patching some of it right from day one. :) I guess it's not really a concern for me? Though I'm glad they're fixing it. Not sure why they didn't have it fixed from the start, but...meh. I'm okay with it, or I think I am, anyway :)

I appreciate the warning, though, thanks. (I like that they call them 'text REFINEMENTS', lol. Just admit they're corrections, guys...hee hee.) I'm pretty excited about it, though...as excitement goes for me, that is. Even people who are mad about the text stuff still seem to say it's a great game. In summary it seems like the game itself is awesome, but NISA made a lot of mistakes in localizing...but I don't feel overly put off by that.

I did think it was weird that they aren't putting out the Japanese audio until a month and half after release. I mean, it doesn't matter to ME, but a lot of people like to play with that from the start...they'll already be done the game when it comes out. Why wouldn't you release it from the beginning?
Last edited by Kikki on Jun 22, 2018 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RopeMaidenKirie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I think it's mostly the way the whole localization has been handled which really puts a sour taste in my mouth. This all really should have been solved prior to launch, especially with all of the other issues they've had. Also considering dual audio is one of their big "highlights" and now they won't even have it ready for the Switch launch 3 weeks later lol
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Oh, I agree that NISA did a terrible, unprofessional job, and they all need a spankin'. (Especially when you consider how monumentally they screwed up from the very start...and they're still screwing up even with the Switch release so much later! It's like they didn't learn anything.) I'm sorry it's a sore spot for you. :( Is Ys an important series to you? This'll be my first Ys, other than the half hour I played of 'Seven'. I can probably be casual about it because I don't yet have any attachment to it. And the reviews I've seen for PS4 and for the Switch so far (there aren't that many for Switch yet) are all really high, even though all seem to admit that it is an awesome game that has received a less than awesome localization.

Xseed would have done it MUCH better, and I hope NISA's screw-ups will discourage Falcom from partnering with them on anything else that they could have Xseed do instead. But even though I think that, the problems don't feel like deterrents to me. I still really want the game. I bought Ys SEVEN because Wyrdwad recommended it specifically, and it's not bad, but Ys VIII is the first Ys game that appealed to me right away with the exploration, finding of shipmates/villagers, and the more story-driven nature. It's just got a lot of my big drawing points.

Though I see that it might be just about unintelligible on Steam, possibly even still? (It looks like the complaints on Steam are about crashes, though. That would be really bad...I can understand the story even with text errors but routine crashes would make the game unplayable.) The PS4 version has great reviews.
RopeMaidenKirie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

It's mostly because of the chance that Trails could go to NISA, honestly. I like Ys but adore Trails. Also the fact that I was super interested in the game and the whole launch of the game just really soured on it, to the point where I can't justify getting it. The more it sells the more it signifies to Falcom that NISA is okay for them to use them as a localization company, and I refuse to be part of that. Maybe down the line I'll buy it used, if at all. A friend did say I could borrow her PS4 copy so maybe I'll take her up on that.

Yeah the PS4 is definitely the best version, though the localization was still a mess and they did have bugs and whatnot when it launched. So PS4 and Vita users still had to go months and months with dealing with it until it was completely redone.

I definitely don't mind other people buying it, it's totally understandable and some people just don't mind these sorta things. That's no biggie. I just can't personally put my money towards it on principal.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

So much chatter! Cut because the final line basically summarizes it all anyway.
Spoiler:
Forewarned is forearmed. Perhaps if NISA did get Trails, we could do something about it even before it comes out because we'd know in advance how likely it is that they'll mess it up. Of course, that would only be possible if the fans banded together as much as possible and refused to buy from the start. In the case of YS8, I don't think anyone rejecting it at this point can help, because it's already sold most of what it is going to from coming out on Vita, Steam and PS4 long before this. I figure that almost everyone who wants the game will almost already have it. Most of those I know are getting this for Switch are double or even triple-dipping, because they already own it on PS4. I assume they anticipate decent sales on the Switch, though, or they wouldn't bring it over. I'm not sure. And honestly, I'd forgive NISA pretty easily for their botched job, except that they don't seem to have learned from it at all (given that they didn't even make the Switch version top-quality and are having to patch so much in post-release) and that's alarming. That suggests they'll do it again.

I think I've heard that Trails of Cold Steel has sold even more here in the west than it did in Japan (though I may be mixing that up with some other series). We've got a good bit of clout with our purchasing over here when it comes to that series. If word came out that NISA got the localization of III and IV, perhaps a boycott could be arranged right from the start. Not that it could ever be complete...there's no way everyone would agree, but...the trails community seems pretty dedicated to XSEED. (Though I may only think that because I visit the forums and so on, and maybe the average fan doesn't, and so don't know about it after all?)

I VERY MUCH hope it won't come to that, though. Cold Steel has sold well as it is. I really don't know why they'd be crazy enough to switch localizers at this point. More money from whoever buys the rights to it? Or if they have the ability to bring it to more consoles or something? Anyway, maybe if we catch it early, we could do something about it. (That's probably a naive thought, but you never know for sure unless you try...) Since people have been so bothered by the handling of Ys VIII, there's already a sizeable body of people who would be angry if NISA got it and be willing to spring into action right away (I mean, they already went so far as to band together and write Falcom about the poor job done on Ys8.)

Though I suppose NISA is not the only other company that has a chance of getting it? But I don't know who other options would be. Aksys, possibly? Not sure. I just hope Falcom isn't crazy and properly sticks with XSeed. Especially since they've already seen how many complaints fly around when NISA gets a job whose standards are already at Xseed level.
I'd be up for trying to change things if NISA did get CSIII, anyway. (I think this is where suspicious people should knock on wood.)