can u be gay yet?

Explore Lulukoko, Tsukuyusa, and Westown in this multi-cultural farming game for Nintendo 3DS. [ Game Guide ] JP release = Jun 2016. NA release = Feb 2017. EU release = Oct 2017.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

im want to marry girls and play as a girl already :/
Kross lover/fan
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

It's not happening in this game unfortunately.

Marvelous says they're thinking about it but just not yet.
ThatGirlRena
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

We've been able to marry a cucumber-loving kappa but we can't be gay. If they still need to "Think about it" after all this time, then it's not happening.

And that pisses me off.
Kross lover/fan
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Not necessarily. Here's a link explaining more on the topic.
http://www.polygon.com/e3/2016/6/16/119 ... rvest-moon

It was talked about in this topic. you can't post in that topic anymore but it's still interesting to read everyone's opinions.

I personally hope it gets added soon but I understand that not everyone will be happy no matter what they do. At this point it's a double edged sword.

I haven't played Stardew Valley yet but I heard that it had a good way of adding s/s marriage.
If Marvelous can implement s/s in the same way or similarly then I think more people would be happy. But I don't know anything about marking games (yet) so I'm not sure how possible it is :/
OctavieKnite88
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

ThatGirlRena wrote:We've been able to marry a cucumber-loving kappa but we can't be « homosexual ». If they still need to "Think about it" after all this time, then it's not happening.

And that pisses me off.
At least SoS lets you wear clothing of any kind of type whether it looks masculine or feminine in general. This somewhat satiates people, I think. But actually adding a full blown s/s feature would have me getting this game in a heartbeat without any questions asked. Of course, no one is ever going to be fully happy with the game, but for those who don't agree with it it would be more than easy to just not dive into that feature. Perhaps they're afraid of their rating going up?
Getaris
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I've said this before, but it would be really risky for such a small mainstream studio. Just like with Natsume.

Their situation is very, very different from the developer of Stardew Valley, and the repercussions of bothering the masses would be big for them.

Of course, one person taking the first step and coming out alive is all it takes for others to join in. But being the one taking that step is a bit less certain.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Of course, another way to deal with the issue would be to remove marriage entirely and go with a friends system (and no kids).

I could actually see either company potentially doing this; sometimes the way to make everyone "happy" is to make everyone equally UNhappy.

As much as I am for inclusivity in games, we also have to realize that with every choice and option we are given, that costs the company money and time. Scenarios need to be written and playtested, translated and graphics reworked...all of this is expensive. Marvelous/Natsume are not SE; they need to go with the options that will please the bulk of the market. SOS does offer the option of cross dressing and the faces seem to me to have a fair amount of gender-neutral options.

Companies like Marvelous and Natsume also have to deal with the potential backlash of including gay marriage in their games. As I understand it, homosexuality is still very, very unaccepted in Japan. And a boycott over gay marriage would be completely disasterous for a tiny company like Natsume. These ARE games rated for the younger set; IDK where the age ratings would fall if gay marriage were included.

As for Stardew Valley...remember this is a game the dev made alone. No shareholders, no ratings, accountable to no one but himself. That allows for much more flexibility in what he includes. AndI don't think that you can argue that it was such a smash because it included gay marriage; it was a smash because it's a fundamentally good game. It'll be interesting to see what the game is rated and if the same-« Chicken Hugging » options are included when the game hits consoles--especially the WiiU.

TL;DR: We're more likely to see gay marriage options in games like this as it (hopefully!) becomes a more accepted practice. Both Japan and America still exhibit a lot of homophobia, and game companies are naturally going to make the choices that allow them to sell the broadest market.
FoolishGhoul
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Yeah the closest we can get to S/S marriage/relationships is cross-dressing atm. It's very unfortunate about the heterosexism being so predominant in the gaming industry but that's how it is for the moment, especially in Japanese society. I'm hopeful that it will be implemented eventually, but I don't have my hopes up for any time soon
ThatGirlRena
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

That article just looks like the same circlejerk « Male Cow Poopoo » I have been hearing for years from group after group.

It's the right thing to do, and I am tired of not being represented.
Autumn_Song
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

It's ridiculous. I mean, you can just not genderlock candidates. That'd be the best solution. I understand the reasoning behind it, I really do. But it's ridiculous.
FoolishGhoul
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Autumn_Song wrote:It's ridiculous. I mean, you can just not genderlock candidates. That'd be the best solution. I understand the reasoning behind it, I really do. But it's ridiculous.
Oh yeah I agree. I think just making everyone bi or pan or something would be the easiest route even though a lot of people have the "it's not realistic" argument and there's a few others. So I see the pov it's coming from but having no LGBT+ representation at all is just getting pretty old really fast. Like I said before, I'm hopeful it'll change eventually but I'm not getting my hopes up
Getaris
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I personally think just making everyone bi would be awkward, at least with the way these games work.

Eventually you'd have 40% of the town feeling the hots for you just from occasional chatting... Unless they make it so certain choices in certain events change their feelings towards you from just friendship to romantic interest.

Actually, I'd really like it if all marriage candidates had a friendship route instead of being always forced into full romance doki-doki blushy-blushy mode.
Last edited by Getaris on Oct 18, 2016 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FoolishGhoul
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

^ Well I think it would be a bit less awkward if they keep the dating system? Granted I see your point and would also enjoy some kind of solely 'platonic' route with certain people, I personally don't really find most of the dialogue that romantic until like the last two stages anyways aside from the heart/flower events anyways so I don't really mind it all that much.
Blue Rose
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

If things don't get romantic til you start dating there wouldn't be a problem. :)

I've kind of just given up of hoping and will just be pleasingly surprised when/if it happens. I just pray its not gonna be a clusterfuck of offensive stereotypes.
white66
Pick Potatos, not boogers
Pick Potatos, not boogers

Post  Posted:

^ They've done pretty well with the inclusive of darker-skinned characters, as far as avoiding cliches, so maybe there's hope