Story of Seasons - Trio of Towns Full English Translation

Explore Lulukoko, Tsukuyusa, and Westown in this multi-cultural farming game for Nintendo 3DS. [ Game Guide ] JP release = Jun 2016. NA release = Feb 2017. EU release = Oct 2017.
Starmytes
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Post  Posted:

I decided to not wait around anymore for the English release, and to start playing the game in Japanese during my Holiday break with the assistance of the Google translate app, which allows you to translate text from images. While doing this, I will be posting the translated text for the game play, events, and other. I do not know Japanese at all, and will be making changes to the dialogue that doesn't translate properly based on translation from snippets of the text, and game context. (Example: Linne: "Anyway! Have you seen any good dreams? My face was having dishes or something. . ." is now Linne: "Anyway, have you had any good dreams? Your face was smiling..." because snippets of the text suggest someones face and grinning, and the player was just awoken from a pleasant dream from their past. That said, I would appreciate anyone who reads Japanese to leave suggestions to the text I have posted to improve this English translation. Lets begin!

WARNING: THIS THREAD CONTAINS SPOILERS FROM STORY OF SEASONS: TRIO OF TOWNS

Default Options: http://pastebin.com/JwiEFCEK

(想い出) Memories: http://pastebin.com/CbphzxQ5

(旅立ち) Departure: http://pastebin.com/iDKYfJA7

This guide is a work in progress, and will be updated after a new completion of the game. Feel free to submit your own translated parts of this game.
Last edited by Starmytes on Dec 11, 2016 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kristaok
Banned: Trolling

Post  Posted:

I honestly don't want to wait either, but I ain't got time to take pictures of things and use a translator. :P
Starmytes
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Post  Posted:

kristaok wrote:I honestly don't want to wait either, but I ain't got time to take pictures of things and use a translator. :P
That is why I'm putting together this guide, so those who don't want to wait can read along with the translation instead. :)
Nurse Fin
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Translating from Japanese when you don't know the language is probably not a good idea. There are a ton of mistakes and while I know it takes a lot of effort, what happens is that you will make a "guess" as to what a sentence means, guess wrong, and then other people who don't know Japanese will take it as gospel and then wonder why it was "changed" when the official release comes out.

Speaking as someone who did fan translations and then made a JOKE (not even a mistranslation or posted w/my translations but what I thought was obviously a JOKE) about Gil from Tree of Tranquility, people took it super seriously, and I see people talk about it today in topics about censorship or say it's their reason for disliking the character
kristaok

Post  Posted:

I need to learn Japanese :/
Terra575
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Nurse Fin wrote:Translating from Japanese when you don't know the language is probably not a good idea. There are a ton of mistakes and while I know it takes a lot of effort, what happens is that you will make a "guess" as to what a sentence means, guess wrong, and then other people who don't know Japanese will take it as gospel and then wonder why it was "changed" when the official release comes out.

Speaking as someone who did fan translations and then made a JOKE (not even a mistranslation or posted w/my translations but what I thought was obviously a JOKE) about Gil from Tree of Tranquility, people took it super seriously, and I see people talk about it today in topics about censorship or say it's their reason for disliking the character
Really? Wow, that just goes to show how info can spread like wildfire.
You have a good point, people from all over the web come to ushi for info on new releases, and before you know it this info could end up on the wiki and game guides. (I've definitely come across lines from ushi copy and pasted elsewhere)

Starmytes, you have noble intentions, but just be wary of the risk with misinformation.
Nurse Fin
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Yes, nearly 10 years later I still see people saying things along the lines of, "in the Japanese version Gill wants to lock you in his basement" :shock:
luph n joii
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

You shouldn't guess the meaning of a sentence. Some of the translations you posted didn't make sense and are really google translate-y. For example,
(ウシをなでてあげて) "Raise the cow."
where it should have been "Pet the cow gently", and that's a really simple sentence. You would have trouble with more complex sentences. It'd be better if you learn some basic Japanese first, or just wait for the English release. Posting an inaccurate translation doesn't help anyone.
Terra575
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Nurse Fin wrote:Yes, nearly 10 years later I still see people saying things along the lines of, "in the Japanese version Gill wants to lock you in his basement" :shock:
OH my gosh hahahaha. Now that you mention it, that does sound vaguely familiar.
Starmytes
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Post  Posted:

I find people taking a fan translation so seriously to be... unnecessary. In my eyes a fan translation should be taken with a grain of salt, and be used as a basic guide to what is happening, and not "this is who the characters are". But I don't doubt what you re saying at all, and for now I'll just stick with translating some basics, like requirements to build housing, and tools. Along with my suspicions for parts of the game.

Firstly, the 'type' that you choose at the beginning of the game might actually be more than the basic choose your personality. I chose Popular person for my 'type' and I want to say it has an impact on the characters in the game. For example, after meeting Ford I never talked to him, but in some dialogue that included him, he had a purple heart... Even though when he was first introduced he only had a white heart, and I never interacted with him afterwards, or participated in any events that would have automatically increased his friendship. I have also been giving Wayne regular forest flowers, which are a liked gift (+300), and he is already at a green heart and ready to date even though summer just started. The heart colours for this game being white > purple > light blue > darker blue > green > yellow > orange > pink > red. The creators have included multiple flower events for a single colour however, meaning they could have also made it easier to obtain these flower colours? But it feels like the friendship is growing faster than normal.

That being said, the others might mean "I love animals" = animals become friendlier to you faster, "Fisherman" = better luck at fishing, "Sportsman" = more stamina, "Rich" = comes by money easier?

All three towns are unlocked in String to early Summer of year 1.

You can begin editing and upgrading your farm and house once Ludus comes to visit you and gives you a work bench. His shop will offer house upgrades, and farm facilities at first. He will eventually start offering tool upgrades as well, where you bring him the materials and a sum of G to upgrade your tools. However, when you upgrade your tools they do not change colour, instead a circle will be added to your tools grade, and you can change the colour of your tools manually by once again bringing materials for a colour and G. Do note that in the list I will be posting and updating later that some furniture is for inside the house, and others are outside.

Basics:

Silo:
Brick x20
Lumber x10

Pet House:
Lumber x10
Small Lumber x10

Big Chicken House:
Lumber x40
Small Lumber x20

Big Cow House:
Brick x30
Lumber x40
Small Lumber x20

Normal House:
Small Lumber x20
Lumber x10

Storage Box (Better):
Small Lumber x10
Lumber x10

Country House: 105,000G
Brick x50
Stone x45
Maple Branch x35
Chamomile x30
Cherubae
UNoT Dictator
UNoT Dictator

Post  Posted:

Starmytes wrote: Firstly, the 'type' that you choose at the beginning of the game might actually be more than the basic choose your personality. I chose Popular person for my 'type' and I want to say it has an impact on the characters in the game. For example, after meeting Ford I never talked to him, but in some dialogue that included him, he had a purple heart...
That's because Popular gives you a higher starting friendship with the villagers. You get 10,000 FP (purple color) with marriage candidates and 5000 FP with villagers.
Starmytes
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Post  Posted:

Cherubae wrote:
Starmytes wrote: Firstly, the 'type' that you choose at the beginning of the game might actually be more than the basic choose your personality. I chose Popular person for my 'type' and I want to say it has an impact on the characters in the game. For example, after meeting Ford I never talked to him, but in some dialogue that included him, he had a purple heart...
That's because Popular gives you a higher starting friendship with the villagers. You get 10,000 FP (purple color) with marriage candidates and 5000 FP with villagers.
Right on the money than, haha!
kristaok

Post  Posted:

I think what you're doing is nice :)
Starmytes
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper
Snazzy Sheep Sweeper

Post  Posted:

I took images of the players house upgrades. I did not get photos of the Normal House, but it is just a green rectangle house with two beige wheels on the roof. Also, these are not HD because my NTR CFW stopped working. Sorry about that. The next house upgrades are available the next day after you upgrade your house.

Image Image

Country House:
105,000G
Brick x50
Stone x45
Maple Branch x35
Chamomile x30

For the Country House, the outside photo got corrupted... hopefully it fixes itself and I can upload it. It is a beige house, with purple roof, and some blues and greens.

Image Image
Image Image

Large Country House:
210,000G
Lumber x70
Brick x70
Maple Branch x50
Red Cloth x20
Mint x30

(no photos available)

Country Style Mansion:
350,000G
Black Lumber x70
Brick x50
Maple Branch x30
Ruby x20
Gold x15

This will require a lot of Black Lumber, with you cannot purchase until Westown Rank B, or collecting it in the wild beginning in year 2. To get Westown Rank B, you'll need 20 Sweet Potatoes, sold in Tsuyukusa after Rank D.
Autumn_Song
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

As someone who admittedly has not taken a lot of Japanese, I can tell you Google translate is not your friend. I use Chrome and when I'd do my online homework it'd automatically translate for me into stuff that made no sense at all (I think at one point, building became RussiaBaeScan). It's really nice of you to try to do this! I just think as mentioned take things with a grain of salt. Using it for blueprints is probably not gonna turn out wrong, or that off the mark, but dialogue might.