Monster Hunter Stories demo out now

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Finally it was taking forever! are any of you going to play it?
It took up all the available space on my SD card but only after I deleted a bunch of update data for most of my games.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I feel like i've been waiting forever to finally play this game. So glad it's finally coming over.I made my rider look like one of my favourite Fire Emblem characters and named them accordingly. :P

So far, love it. I adore Monster Hunter and turn based RPGs, so the game is right up my alley. My only complaint so far is that I feel the battles could use a fast forward button, but i'm sure i'll get used to the pace soon enough.
LeBurns
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Did ... Did you say turned based?

I liked MH but my old reflexes would never let me play it. But turn based would be great. I just watched a video on Nintendo's site but it didn't have any combat gameplay. I'll have to look around to see if I can find some.

Course if there is a demo...

From the video it reminded my most of fantasy life, even saw some mining, so I'll assume you also craft those armors and weapons shown in the video. But hatching mosters and raising them. That is cool.

Whoops. Looks like there may be some frame rate and texture load issues if you don't have the New 3DS. Dang, I guess I'll need to finally upgrade.

Also can't find any word as to whether or not NA will get the free DLC.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

[quote="Bluie"]I feel like i've been waiting forever to finally play this game. So glad it's finally coming over.I made my rider look like one of my favourite Fire Emblem characters and named them accordingly. :P

So far, love it. I adore Monster Hunter and turn based RPGs, so the game is right up my alley. My only complaint so far is that I feel the battles could use a fast forward button, but i'm sure i'll get used to the pace soon enough.[/quote]

There is a fast forward button, all you have to do is press X
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Well, good to know then. I retract my previous statement.

And even though i'm on the N3DS, ive only seen some framerate issues in town if you get too happy with the camera. It's not really a type of game where you need to worry about all the extra frames, imo.
LeBurns
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Bluie wrote:Well, good to know then. I retract my previous statement.

And even though i'm on the N3DS, ive only seen some framerate issues in town if you get too happy with the camera. It's not really a type of game where you need to worry about all the extra frames, imo.
Hey, I've been looking for an excuse to get the new system (or at least the New 2DS since I never use 3D anyway). So this works for me. :P
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

I have finished the demo!
LeBurns
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Anonymous Fish wrote:I have finished the demo!
And ... ?

How long did it take.

How's the combat?

Are there character stats when you level up or is everything based on just armor and weapons?

Story? Engrossing? Dull?

Did you play on a regular 3DS or a New 3DS? Notice any frame skipping or texture load issues?

Can you bring NPC companions to the fight or is it just you and your pok... I mean monsters?

Anything else you'd like to share.

Thanks.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

LeBurns wrote:
Anonymous Fish wrote:I have finished the demo!
And ... ?

How long did it take.

How's the combat?

Are there character stats when you level up or is everything based on just armor and weapons?

Story? Engrossing? Dull?

Did you play on a regular 3DS or a New 3DS? Notice any frame skipping or texture load issues?

Can you bring NPC companions to the fight or is it just you and your pok... I mean monsters?

Thanks.
I also finished it so i'll give an answer. The Demo took me 4 hours to complete, and I did almost all the side quests available.

Story is simple but engrossing enough. Nothing groundbreaking but has a good setup for the rest of the game.

New 3DS, only very minor frame drops an occasional pop in town. Field was pretty seamless.

It's just you and your monsters in battle. You can switch them out in battle or on field. Combat is turn based and rock paper scissors based. If you ever played Fate/Extra, it's pretty much the exact same thing.

It's a very pretty game and it has a lot of charm. For fans of MH, it's brimming with easter eggs and references, for new players it's easy to get into with little to no knowledge.
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

[quote="LeBurns"][quote="Anonymous Fish"]I have finished the demo![/quote]

And ... ?

How long did it take.

How's the combat?

Story? Engrossing? Dull?

Thanks.[/quote]

My play time is 5hr and 48min

Character stats increase when you level up

I found the story enjoyable and fun but there is definitely more after the part they cut you off at(you can keep playing after this though just not further into the story).

3DS XL, slight frame rate issues in the village(and possibly other crowded areas)but nothing to worry about.Texture looks fine to me haven't really noticed anything strange.I forgot where I read/heard this but games like these usually have that thing where NPC's only show up when you get closer to them same with the environment and monsters.

No NPC's only monsters.

There are 5 different monster to find in the demo (Velocidrome,Aptonoth,Arzuros,Yian Kut-Ku and Blue Yian Kut-Ku. Also you can upgrade 2 armor sets and weapons and do all quest board subquests more than once.

One tip,apparently save progress is going to be carried over to the full game so you should be set on your characters looks before starting because the only things you can change in the game are hair colour+style and make up+colour.You cannot change eyes,voice or your name.Other things carried over are levels,monsters,items,progress,money and you will also get a costume for Navirou when the game comes out.
LeBurns
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Thanks for the answers.

Been playing the demo myself now, but not finished. Got the quest to raid a nest, but I'm busying myself with side quests.

But I'll add this: I did notice there is a spot for DLC Quests. So it looks like we'll get them. Still no idea if they will be free like they were in JN.

I'm on a regular 3DS XL. Not a lot of frame rate drop but some. Textures though ... boy. Sometimes I can run all the way up to someone in town before their textures will pop on. Until then then look like a grey mannequin. Very weird looking. Also some slow loading times. I may go ahead and get a New 2DS XL before the game gets here.

Side Question: How do I get my Fantasy Life DLC over to my new console? Is there a way to avoid having to buy it again?
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

[quote="LeBurns"]Thanks for the answers.

Been playing the demo myself now, but not finished. Got the quest to raid a nest, but I'm busying myself with side quests.

But I'll add this: I did notice there is a spot for DLC Quests. So it looks like we'll get them. Still no idea if they will be free like they were in JN.

I'm on a regular 3DS XL. Not a lot of frame rate drop but some. Textures though ... boy. Sometimes I can run all the way up to someone in town before their textures will pop on. Until then then look like a grey mannequin. Very weird looking. Also some slow loading times. I may go ahead and get a New 2DS XL before the game gets here.

Side Question: How do I get my Fantasy Life DLC over to my new console? Is there a way to avoid having to buy it again?[/quote]
System transfer?
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

There is a special edition but i've only seen it for UK I hope we also get one.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

LeBurns wrote:
Side Question: How do I get my Fantasy Life DLC over to my new console? Is there a way to avoid having to buy it again?
Fantasy Life data is stored on the SD card. IIRC, do a system transfer and then pop in your SD card to your new system and all should be good.

However, i'm pretty sure all the new Systems take Micro SDs, so you might have to do the transfer via your PC to get your data, but it's been a long time since my last system transfer and I used a Micro SD inside an SD port in my old 3DS so I bypassed that.

Here's someone in your situation, so see if it applies:

LeBurns
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Bluie wrote:
LeBurns wrote:
Fantasy Life data is stored on the SD card. IIRC, do a system transfer and then pop in your SD card to your new system and all should be good.

However, i'm pretty sure all the new Systems take Micro SDs, so you might have to do the transfer via your PC to get your data, but it's been a long time since my last system transfer and I used a Micro SD inside an SD port in my old 3DS so I bypassed that.

Here's someone in your situation, so see if it applies:

Yeah part of the problem with that is I won't have my old system as I'll be trading it in to get the new one. Not a big deal, $10, but FL is still the one of the best RPG's I've played on the 3DS so I'm not letting go of it.

I guess if I get a new system I'll need to replay the demo also if I want the demo bonus on the new system. Oh well no biggie.

I'm quite enjoying the demo though I'm still just doing side quests and leaving the quest to get the egg alone for now (don't know if that's the last MQ in the demo or not). Got the best gear I can buy and have upgraded everything to level 2. Seems I'm missing parts to upgrade further but those items may not be available in the demo. I may have to go ahead and pre-order this one as I'm pretty sure I'll get one.

Only one real issue I have so far (besides feeling the need to upgrade to a New 3DS ... which I kinda wanted to do anyway). The story.
Spoiler:
It seems pretty obvious already that our childhood friend whose mother died is either going to end up being the bad guy, or he'll be letting himself be used by the bad guy. I mean dang, do they have to be so obvious about it. Having some kind of surprise would have been nice.