Hacking Animal Crossing New Leaf

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
RoyWater
Not the Eggplant Wizard
Not the Eggplant Wizard

Post  Posted:

Hello, so I've been reading and investigating a lot but I would love to know if anyone has ever hacked his/her Nintendo 3Ds (Homebrew) just to hack Animal Crossing New Leaf. I've seen a lot of cool towns over the internet and with Dream Codes and there are some AMAZING designs that are simply not possible without hacking the game and arranging the town in the PC. I love my game and I don't try to take the fun out of it by giving myself all the money or items since I don't really need them anyway, but I'd love to transform my city so it looks so much cooler and the way I have it in mind.
Anyone here has ever done it? Can you share your experience with me, please? I'm against piracy and all of that so I won't ever be using illegal games or so, but I'm still kinda 'worried' that if I hack my 3ds just for editing a town I might get banned or anything :/
I just want to be able to move the villager's house around and have a nice terrain and river disposition, so any ideas?
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

IDK if talking about this falls under http://fogu.com/hmforum/faq.php#f2r9 but if the mods lock it then, eh.

I'd say don't do it. Nintendo is constantly patching the system to make hacks unusable for a reason. Cheating is cheating no matter which way you rationalize it. Yes, it does suck that Kitt the Kangaroo moved it a few feet from my house, but alas, such is AC RNG. Hopefully the next title give us a bit more control over our town layout.
RoyWater
Not the Eggplant Wizard
Not the Eggplant Wizard

Post  Posted:

Yeah, I know its horrible that's why I haven't' done it. I'm sorry if this violates the forum rules. I don't want to get permabanned from here :( I was just curious as I see a lot of amazing towns and wanted to know if anyone has actually hacked the system to do a Perfect Town. If this is against the rules please lock the thread and accept my apologies.
*LaI*
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

I just did a quick search on it (don't play animal crossing) and you don't even need to actually hack the 3ds, just homebrew. Which doesn't allow for piracy so I believe it's within the forums rules. Tho would be nice some mod confirmation for this.
The Ninja
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Bluie wrote:Cheating is cheating no matter which way you rationalize it.
I don't really see how that's relevant, though. In this specific case I don't even think it would be that bad here? This isn't trying to get 1,000,000 gold in an MMO or trying to disconnect other player's accounts. ACNL does have multiplayer, but it's primarily a single player game and even if any advantage was given over other players, you're not "winning" in the game in the first place for having more items than someone else. You're not beating someone in a leaderboard. You're not causing other players to be set back. Again, the original poster never even wanted money or items, so what they would do with their town would have zero effect on anyone else.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

The Ninja wrote:
Bluie wrote:Cheating is cheating no matter which way you rationalize it.
I don't really see how that's relevant, though. In this specific case I don't even think it would be that bad here? This isn't trying to get 1,000,000 gold in an MMO or trying to disconnect other player's accounts. ACNL does have multiplayer, but it's primarily a single player game and even if any advantage was given over other players, you're not "winning" in the game in the first place for having more items than someone else. You're not beating someone in a leaderboard. You're not causing other players to be set back. Again, the original poster never even wanted money or items, so what they would do with their town would have zero effect on anyone else.
Because heaven forbid you just play the game as it's intended? I understand the frustration of having misplaced villagers, but it's unfortunately been a series staple since the DS entry. Call me old fashioned, but I really don't like the idea of messing with a game's code just so you can manipulate it to your liking. If it enhances your gaming experience and brings your more enjoyment, then all power to you.

If you bought the game and your desire is to hack it, then go ahead, but it's obvious that Nintendo isn't keen on the idea + hacked towns often get corrupted if you make one little mistake. The 3DS firmware is constantly being updated to prevent the use of homebrew and other hacking.

Also, if Nintendo catches on to you, you will be permanently banned. It's been happening more often lately with those using hacking devices and lest we forget the SuMo incident where all the early adopters, hacked copies or not, all got perma banned for playing the games before release date.

If OP wants to cheat their game, they can go right ahead, but they should know all the risks beforehand. Nintendo doesn't care if you're 'winning' the game with your hacks or not, they care that you're hacking.
Madame Madie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Eeeeeeehhh it's a bit of a grey spot, I think I'll allow it because you're not asking about <b>Very Bad Things™</b> or emulation (which is the banned bit.) Cheat devices are allowed to be talked about on the forum.
http://fogu.com/hmforum/faq.php#f2r14

However, homebrewing your DS is a huge huge risk and you can totally brick your system.
The Ninja
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Bluie wrote:Because heaven forbid you just play the game as it's intended?
I mean, what's the harm in not playing it how it was intended? It's how we get amazing things like the speedrunning community. Plus, I think the developers would care more about if you're having fun rather than if you're playing it how they want you to, although there's no real "right" way to play video games in the first place.
Bluie wrote:If it enhances your gaming experience and brings your more enjoyment, then all power to you.
Yes, which the OP was completely fine with, so I'm not sure why it had to be stated that cheating is cheating. We all know it's cheating, so I'm not sure why you threw that in as one of the multiple reasons not to go into Homebrew.
Bluie wrote:If you bought the game and your desire is to hack it, then go ahead, but it's obvious that Nintendo isn't keen on the idea + hacked towns often get corrupted if you make one little mistake. The 3DS firmware is constantly being updated to prevent the use of homebrew and other hacking.
Not that Nintendo doesn't also disapprove of cheating (although they weren't going to kill you if you used a Game Genie or Gameshark device back in the day), but I can definitely say the main reason for them trying to block Homebrew is not cheating within games.
Bluie wrote:If OP wants to cheat their game, they can go right ahead, but they should know all the risks beforehand. Nintendo doesn't care if you're 'winning' the game with your hacks or not, they care that you're hacking.
I don't recall ever denying that. I was talking about the "cheating is cheating no matter which way you rationalize it" part. I am aware that hacking comes with many risks, but that topic was never part of this conversation. I was discussing the part where it was implied that one reason you shouldn't do it is because the devs didn't intend it, although afterwards you said "if you like doing that, more power to you" so I'm a bit confused about the intention of these posts here.
*LaI*
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Madame Madie wrote:However, homebrewing your DS is a huge huge risk and you can totally brick your system.
Just a comment on this, homebrew is not hacking the device. While hacking can have a change of bricking, using only homebrew is rather safe. Except of course the save editing part, if you change something you shouldn't it could get corrupted, but that's what backups are for :)
RoyWater
Not the Eggplant Wizard
Not the Eggplant Wizard

Post  Posted:

Yeah! Thanks a lot for your opinions. LaI! You are making me feel better about downloading Homebrew, since I was really scared about what could happen to my device, but I have 2 copies of Animal Crossing (one digital and one physical) so I might try with the physical one to see what happens. It is true the only thing I need is Homebrew to 'cheat' or to 'hack' the game town design. The rest is exporting my save file to the computer and editing the map with a program, then getting the save file back to the 3DS and hope it works lol :/ I only want to move things around, I have the money, items and even the amiibo villager cards to move my dreamies, the only thing that bothers me is the damn beach and river not being in the position I want them to be, also I've read that it is quite simple to move things around like Public Work Projects, so maybe this is the only way to have a 'Perfect Town' just as I see them under the Dream Suite.
I'm keen on trying but I think I will.
So reading some f the opinions here means some of you guys have Homebrew or actually hacked the game?
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

The Ninja wrote:Snip
My point is i'm against it personally, and OP asked for our thoughts, and I gave mine. You're clearly want to win an argument of some kind by picking apart my post bit by bit. OP wants to hack/homebrew, that's fine, it's their choice. Nintendo doesn't want people messing with their stuff and I respect that. That's really all there is to it.
RoyWater wrote: So reading some f the opinions here means some of you guys have Homebrew or actually hacked the game?
A friend of mine homebrews on their 3DS with custom themes but not much else. You have to keep your 3DS either un-updated (he has the wifi switch off) or update and wait for the eventual patch to be cracked. Nintendo patches out Homebrew, Flash Carts, and anything else related every time there's a system update, so if you're going to get into Homebrew it's best to keep that in mind.
strawberrysundae
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Lol at all the bitter Betty's.

Anyway, I used Homebrew back on the City Folk days. I did find it rather safe, and I used it to do some weird stuff with my town. It was fine.
ChaosAzerothCat
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

People get defensive to be fair because some people act like people who do are the scum of the earth, and the wording WAS rather harsh.

I'm too old to care about as intended, because at the end of the day the makers or even other players aren't the ones playing for me I am. It's one thing when it's something that hurts other players, but really as already stated there really isn't a singular right way to play.

If I don't have fun with game I don't bother with them anymore, simple as that. It's one thing enjoying playing cheat-less, I more often than not find playing that way fun and fine. It's another when someone is doing it because that's what they're supposed to, which I see a lot of. And another still when they use it as ammo to prove how much more of a gamer they are/how much less of a gamer someone else is.

Not saying that't what happened here btw, just noting things that have made people fed up and why I'm none to keen on some of the wording ((the rationalize bit especially as it implies someone needs to justify how they play their own game)).