Project Octopath Traveler

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Well, there's a demo out today following the Nintendo Direct and I can say with certainty after playing for about 30 minutes this is a day one purchase for me. What about you guys? The combat, while reminiscing of Bravely Default, is fresh and interesting. A bit easy though I think with what I've played with Primrose. The story so far, and I've only played as Primrose, is engaging, emotional, and I want so many people in this game dead already.
RopeMaidenKirie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Amazing demo. Wow Primrose's story was surprising and I didn't expect the game to go there, it was really dark. The other guy's story wasn't as good, but still interesting imo.

Also really enjoyed the music--really curious to hear who the composer is. Definitely a day one purchase!
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I didn't think they'd go that dark either; it's borderline M rating, but I think it'll get a T rating.

The only thing I can recommend they do is add skipable cutscenes. I kept dying at Primrose's boss fight and there was no way to skip the cutscenes.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

It's fantastic. From the visuals to the story to the gameplay, this game is going to be a must have for Switch owners. This has been my most anticipated game since it's reveal at the Switch conference.
Terranigma Freak
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Yup, I echo everyone's sentiment on Primrose's story.

I hate the filters though. Geez!

Also, we should voice to SE that we don't want random battles! Random battles are not fun for exploration. It's one of the reason I could never get in to Final Fantasy. Well, that and I don't like the way these games played.
Kemine
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

So turn-based battles aren't my favorite, mostly cause I'm not much of a strategist, so the battle system wasn't terribly appealing.

But at the same time, I feel like it's pretty easy for a beginner to pick up on. I like the boost system a lot. I played as Primrose and right now I feel like she's more of a support character. I died at her boss battle because I was not a clever person and thought that when it said "weak" at something, like her dagger, it meant the boss was weak to it. You'd think that the fact it's only dealing 15 damage would be obvious. So I guess "weak" means that the weapon is weak against it, and once I figured that out, lots easier. (and that's a user problem, not a game problem)

Pros: beautiful graphics, engaging story

Cons: did anyone else feel like the sprites were kind of floating in a few spots? I think it's where the shadows didn't seem to be connected to their feet and gave a floating impression.
Needs skippable cutscenes. The boss cutscene was sad and heart-wrenching the first time. Long and tedious the second time.

Hoping to play the other character later, and the game has a LOT of promise. I'm hoping that the other characters' abilities are also unique without being very...single-focused? I've seen cool abilities before that seem really cool, but only are usable in very few situations, making them not very good for overall gameplay. Looks really good though~
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Kemine wrote:But at the same time, I feel like it's pretty easy for a beginner to pick up on. I like the boost system a lot. I played as Primrose and right now I feel like she's more of a support character. I died at her boss battle because I was not a clever person and thought that when it said "weak" at something, like her dagger, it meant the boss was weak to it. You'd think that the fact it's only dealing 15 damage would be obvious. So I guess "weak" means that the weapon is weak against it, and once I figured that out, lots easier. (and that's a user problem, not a game problem)
Believe me, I thought since the boss was weak to daggers as well and that meant we would deal super damage when the shields were down. Nope! Turns out that's when we should unleash our mighty ability on him with full boost power. After I found that out, which was my third time with the boss, he went down easily.
*LaI*
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

I got a mail with the link to the survey for playing the demo, so if you want to suggest something check it :)
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I made mention of needing skippable cutscenes, how the battle transition is kinda jarring (to me anyways), and that there was a graphical error I kept seeing on speech bubbles (transparent line from top, dipping towards text).

Other than that, told them to keep up the good work and that i'm most looking forward to playing the character on the top of the selection wheel. They look like the cleric character from the artwork and I love playing as healers.