Nintendo Mini Direct

All other video games not related to the main farming series - Pokemon, Stardew Valley, My Time at Portia, and other indie-developed games.
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

What's Coming:
The World Ends with You: Final Mix (Play with touch screen controls or the new Joy-Con controls with a new epilogue)
Dark Souls Remaster (May 25)
Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition (All DLC from Wii U and 3DS included, BotW Zelda and Link skins, Spring 2018)
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Funky Kong in a new mode)
Super Mario Odyssey Update (Find and hide balloons with Luigi once the main story is finished)
Mario Tennis Aces (Story mode for the first time since the GBA game)
Mario + Rabbids DLC (Donkey Kong is a playable character)
Pokken Tournament DLC (Aegislash and Blastoise as playable characters, Mega Rayquaza, Mimikyu, Mew, and Celebi as support Pokemon)
Payday 2 (Timed exclusive character, coming February 27)
Kirby Allied Stars (March 16)
YS VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Summer 2018)
Fe (February 16)
Celeste (January 25)

What are you guys excited for? I'm definitely getting Kirby and I'm on the fence on YS, Hyrule Warriors, Donkey Kong, and Mario Tennis.
Mario Tennis and Donkey Kong look fun. Ys I've never played, but from what I saw it looks good. I own the 3DS version of Hyrule Warriors, but the Switch version's exclusive skins and being able to play with a controller again are appealing to me.
Harvest Moon kawaii
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

I'm excited for the Pokken Tournament DX DLC, the Super Mario Odyssey update, and Kirby: Star Allies. :) :heart:
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I love the visuals of Fe but definitely will not get it. (Because ONLY the visuals are to my taste. I do like looking at screenshots of it, though.)

However...Hyrule Warriors, The World Ends With You and Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana are all of considerable interest to me since I have seriously considered them all for their original consoles but have never committed. Definitely happy to have those possibilities renewed for Switch :)

Oh and I'll get the Dragon Quest Builders demo, as well. Already tried it on PS4 but didn't buy when I heard it'd be coming to Switch, so the demo will remind me to buy it once I'm back in gaming mode :)

Absolutely no idea what Dark Souls is, though they seemed to be thinking it was the jewel of their presentation.
Last edited by Kikki on Jan 11, 2018 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bluie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

My wallet was mostly spared this time around. I really only plan on buying Mario Tennis Aces, and maybe Fe. I'm gonna be playing A LOT of Switch RPGs this year (Lost Sphear, Atelier Lydie&Suelle, Project Octopath, Valkyria Chronicles 4, Fallen Legion, and who knows what else!) so a Mario Tennis game is welcome in my books. Will help to balance out everything.

I'm pretty bummed that there was no Project Octopath news, it's my most anticipated game this year. Probably saving it for E3.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Bluie wrote:I'm pretty bummed that there was no Project Octopath news, it's my most anticipated game this year. Probably saving it for E3.
I think they'll do another Direct before too long since they pointedly called that a 'mini' Direct. But with Nintendo, who knows? They like to yank our chains more than a bit, lol.

Everything in it was a surprise to me...not a single thing I was actually waiting on or expecting. So the three games I've always been wanting but didn't want to commit to for console reasons have now been solved, which is pretty neat. It's awesome that so much is being ported to Switch. I know they said that the 3DS was still very much alive but they are throwing so much support to the Switch, and it's just so popular, that that now seems a bit more eyebrow-quirking to me. Though to actually leave home with and play on the go...on a bus or etc...I do still prefer the 3DS. (But in every other way, definitely the Switch, whether handheld or docked.)

Mind you, if they do really throw everything into the Switch, this'll be the first time in quite a while that their attention has not been at all divided and it'd be neat to see just how much they'd come out with in that case.
RopeMaidenKirie
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Husband and his friends are excited about Dark Souls Remaster (though he's already put hundreds of hours into each of the games already lol)

Nothing really here that got me excited besides The World Ends with You: Final Mix as I never got around playing it on the DS. As much as I'd like to play Ys 8 on the Switch I'm absolutely not interested in Falcom games that aren't localized by XSEED.

Fe looks pretty neat though, might wait for some reviews then maybe pick it up if it's good.
Icewings
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I flipped when I saw the TWEWY re-release. It's not a sequel, but I'll take anything at this point lol

Poppyseed
Not the Eggplant Wizard
Not the Eggplant Wizard

Post  Posted:

I'm actually interested in YS, but I don't know if I'll get it. I got the chance to play some of the older games on the portable and loved them, but I don't know how I'll like this one since the mechanics are probably way different.

I've never played TWEWY, but I keep hearing how amazing it is so now might finally be my chance, haha.
Celestrian
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

Nothing. There was nothing in there that made me feel truly excited of hyped but I still think it's nice and might look at a title or two.
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Poppyseed wrote:I'm actually interested in YS, but I don't know if I'll get it.
Same. I was set on getting it, but after I looked up the game, I realized that it's the same main character across all games and YS VIII would be my first game. In other words, I don't know if I need to play the other games in order to understand this one or not.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Ronin19 wrote:Same. I was set on getting it, but after I looked up the game, I realized that it's the same main character across all games and YS VIII would be my first game. In other words, I don't know if I need to play the other games in order to understand this one or not.
That question gets asked a lot. You can play any game, with, I believe, the exception of Ys I and II (which are directly connected to each other, so playing Ys II before Ys I would be weird) without much trouble. A little like playing a LoZ game. I talked to Wyrdwad (Tom) on the XSEED forums for a while about that, in this thread. There is a very detailed Ys. site listed there (Digital Emelas), and Tom also goes into detail about what he thinks of the playing order, if you'd like to check that thread (or the site.)

Ys VIII is of more interest to me than any other in the series (I do own Ys. SEVEN though, after the conversation linked above) because of the extra features in it. I'll definitely get it...some day. After I pare my backlog down a bit. But to give just an idea since what Wyrdwad said helped me figure out my own opinion...
Wyrdwad wrote:I don't fully agree with the recommended order listed on Digital Emelas, TBH, as I think it puts a much greater emphasis on the narrative weight of the series than is necessary. The order recommended there is indeed good if you're one of those people who absolutely insists on never spoiling anything, no matter how small or inconsequential it may be, until you've experienced it for yourself -- but Ys is a series with a very light overarching storyline, designed to be played in almost any order. I equate it to something like Star Trek: The Next Generation, or some other episodic TV show of its ilk. Yes, there is an overarching storyline in Star Trek: The Next Generation, but you can very easily sit down and watch whatever episode they happen to be airing in reruns without too much worry about being spoiled -- the chances of it containing a crucial story element to one of the overarching plot elements is slim, and even if it does, the episode will typically be written in such a way as to introduce the necessary elements to the audience for them to understand what's going on even if they have no prior knowledge of past events.

The only real exceptions to this are:
-Ys II, which is a direct continuation of Ys I (fortunately, Ys I & II are almost always bundled together because of this)
-Ys Origin, which is the earliest point in the storyline, but does assume players have some prior knowledge of events from Ys I & II
-Arguably Ys IV (Memories of Celceta) and Ys VI (Ark of Napishtim), both of which introduce fairly major story events and somewhat heavily reference other games

Aside from those entries, I'd honestly say you're safe starting the series literally anywhere, and you'll feel just as comfortable doing so as if you'd sat down to watch an episode of Star Trek for the first time.
In any case, both Wyrdwad and the Digital Emelas site agree that if you want to jump into the series starting with Lacrimosa of Dana, there's no significant reason why you shouldn't go ahead and do so.
Icewings
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Celestrian wrote:Nothing. There was nothing in there that made me feel truly excited of hyped but I still think it's nice and might look at a title or two.
Poppyseed wrote:
I've never played TWEWY, but I keep hearing how amazing it is so now might finally be my chance, haha.
I seriously can't recommend TWEWY enough- it's seriously my favorite DS title of all time, and the DS had amazing games by the dozen.

I can see the style being a bit dated in 2018, but it's a great story with amazing and addictive gameplay and wonderful characters that will stick with you for a long time.
Poppyseed
Not the Eggplant Wizard
Not the Eggplant Wizard

Post  Posted:

I'll definently have to get TWEWY then. Under such constant praise there's no way I couldn't!

Regarding YS I'm still kinda on the fence, 'cause I really want to get it just to see if I'll like the whole party thing, but I loved the bump mechanics in 1 & 2, and got through some of Felghana. So I don't know how I'll feel about it since I loved playing the main character alone and it's more modern RPG like. I'll have to incubate on it I guess.
Celestrian
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

I'll definitely look at it then. I never heard of it until now.
Nightlight
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

I'm fairly interested in The World Ends with You: Final Mix. I've never played the original DS version of it, so this is my chance to finally experience it and see why everybody loves it so much.