Weapons and Shields
At the beginning of the game your first weapon will come from Leo at his Blacksmith shop. If you try to venture into Kammait with just your basic tools to protect yourself, you'll reach a quick game over.
As the game progresses, Leo will have more weapons available for sale. Each time you clear a cave his inventory will expand. His stock will also change depending on the season you currently are in. The items he sells are used for when you start crafting your own weapons and shields. You can make them on your own, but often it's more of a burden to collect the items required compared to simply visiting Leo's shop and purchasing what you require.
There are 5 types of weapons you can use:
- 1 Hand Sword - These are the fastest weapons you can swing. They are good for fighting against anything, and can even be used like a Sickle for cutting grass.
- 2 Hand Sword - A larger blade means you can hit for more damage, but the swing time is slower than the 1 handed version. These can be used as a Sickle as well, although 2h swords won't cut multiple squares of grass.
- Polearms - They are faster than a 2h sword, but can only damage enemies directly in front of you.
- Hammers - Besides your basic hammer tool, you can make special hammers that are high on the damage scale. Hammers take a while to swing but one swing may be all you'll need. Big hammers can be used for mining.
- Axes - About the equivalent of a hammer but with a blade. The giant Axe weapons can be used to chop sticks, but stumps will still require the powered up strength of your axe tool.
Weapons also have a Charge and a number of Swings you can do before the weapon retracts. If you hold down the B button when you have a weapon equipped, it will "charge" its power until you release the B button. Some charges results in just bigger damage hits, while others shoot beams across your screen. The number of "swings" a weapon has is the maximum number of times you can smash the B button until you can move your character. If you press B once you can move right away after your swing has finished, or you can opt to press B multiple times to swing wildly until you reach the swing limit.
You can also build shields for increasing your defense against attacks. Leo sells three basic versions, which can be converted into more powerful items when combined with other ingredients.
Sword Leo's shop inventory
|Long Sword||2980 G||Any||Clear Kamait|
|Wind Sword||5800 G||Spring||Clear Kamait|
|Aqua Sword||9200 G||Spring||Clear Mistbloom|
|Defender||19,800 G||Any||Clear Kajimill|
|Punisher||7000 G||Summer||Clear Kamait|
|Two-Hand Sword||12,800 G||Any||Clear Taurus|
|Gaia Sword||24,000 G||Summer||Clear Mistbloom|
|Great Sword||35,600 G||Any||Clear Kajimill|
|Lance||4600 G||Any||Clear Kamait|
|Needle Spear||7500 G||Fall||Clear Kamait|
|Water Spear||13,600 G||Fall||Clear Kajimill|
|Halberd||18,000 G||Fall||Clear Mistbloom|
|Halberd||18,000 G||Any||Clear Kajimill|
|Battle Hammer||7600 G||Any||None|
|War Hammer||18,500 G||Any||Clear Mistbloom|
|Great Hammer||55,000 G||Winter||Clear Mistbloom|
|Ball Axe||22,300 G||Any||Clear Mistbloom|
|Alldale||70,000 G||Winter||Clear Mistbloom|
|Small Shield||1200 G||Any||None|
|Iron Shield||1600 G||Any||Clear Taurus|
|Round Shield||2000 G||Any||Clear Mistbloom|