Is it worth finding a copy of FOMT to get the linking bonus?

Nintendo DS [ Game Guide ]
The Ninja
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

So, when you connect a physical copy of Friends of Mineral Town to Harvest Moon DS, you unlock some extra stuff, right? The thing is, I had planned on buying the Wii U port of FOMT for my first ever playthrough, but if I do that then I'll miss out on the bonus content in HMDS since I wouldn't have a physical cartridge of FOMT to connect it to.

Is it worth spending the extra money and sacrificing save states to get a physical copy of FOMT ? Or is the bonus content not really worth it in the end? I wouldn't plan on going for the extra bachelorettes anyway but having more characters to talk to does sound nice...
Ronin19
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

From what I remember, it allows the Mineral Town guys, girls and Gotz to visit the valley, which will unlock more random events as well as more heart events, and 5 more records will be available for purchase. The gravestone in the Valley will also have your farmer's name on it. Is it worth it? It's really up to you as we can't tell you to buy said game for bonuses.
The Ninja
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Ronin19 wrote:From what I remember, it allows the Mineral Town guys, girls and Gotz to visit the valley, which will unlock more random events as well as more heart events, and 5 more records will be available for purchase. The gravestone in the Valley will also have your farmer's name on it. Is it worth it? It's really up to you as we can't tell you to buy said game for bonuses.
I wouldn't be going for the extra bachelorettes so the heart events wouldn't mean much to me.

That being said, how are the visiting characters otherwise? Do they have a lot of dialogue or are they underwhelming in that aspect? At least from what you remember, although I can understand if you wouldn't be able to remember that specifically.

(Thanks for responding btw)
Anna_Lynn
Pick Potatos, not boogers
Pick Potatos, not boogers

Post  Posted:

Iirc, the visiting candidates are just like a normal villager; they'll even participate in festivals sometimes! Depending on what gender you're playing as (the male MC, right?) the dialogue will be different. The guys will be more boring in terms of dialogue, since they only have 255 FP points, when playing as a guy. The girls will be written more in depth, as they are eligible bachelorettes, and have 60,000 LP. Normal valley villagers will even comment on the Mineral Town people; I think Takakura mentions Popuri's presence if she's in his house on a Sunday, the excavation site people mention Gray, Dr. Hardy talks about Eli and Doctor, Celia mentions her cousin Karen, Lumina talks about Mary, Ruby talks about Ann, etc.

Otherwise, there's new random events, new records, the gravestone changing, and the addition of 5 new candidates, except the game ends if you marry a bachelorette. There's was also a newspaper feature in the Japanese version that was removed for the NA release (out of laziness, perhaps :( ).

You're not playing the EU version, right? I know that the European release does not support the MFOMT/FOMT connectivity, so I figured I'd ask.
The Ninja
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Anna_Lynn wrote:Iirc, the visiting candidates are just like a normal villager; they'll even participate in festivals sometimes! Depending on what gender you're playing as (the male MC, right?) the dialogue will be different. The guys will be more boring in terms of dialogue, since they only have 255 FP points, when playing as a guy. The girls will be written more in depth, as they are eligible bachelorettes, and have 60,000 LP. Normal valley villagers will even comment on the Mineral Town people; I think Takakura mentions Popuri's presence if she's in his house on a Sunday, the excavation site people mention Gray, Dr. Hardy talks about Eli and Doctor, Celia mentions her cousin Karen, Lumina talks about Mary, Ruby talks about Ann, etc.

Otherwise, there's new random events, new records, the gravestone changing, and the addition of 5 new candidates, except the game ends if you marry a bachelorette. There's also a newspaper in the Japanese version that was removed for the NA release (out of laziness, perhaps :( ).

You're not playing the EU version, right? I know that the European release does not support the MFOMT/FOMT connectivity, so I figured I'd ask.
That does sound pretty interesting. I might've even considered going for Mary if the game didn't end after marrying her (seriously what is the purpose of making a bunch of heart events that end up being pointless in the end ;-;).

I think I'll go track down a physical copy since it's not too much more expensive than the Wii U port. Thanks for the advice.

And yeah, I plan on playing the NA version. Which also means I get to track down a version 1.1 copy of the game and keep messaging people selling the game on eBay to ask what the serial number is. Hooray.
Billy--
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

The Ninja wrote:
Anna_Lynn wrote:Iirc, the visiting candidates are just like a normal villager; they'll even participate in festivals sometimes! Depending on what gender you're playing as (the male MC, right?) the dialogue will be different. The guys will be more boring in terms of dialogue, since they only have 255 FP points, when playing as a guy. The girls will be written more in depth, as they are eligible bachelorettes, and have 60,000 LP. Normal valley villagers will even comment on the Mineral Town people; I think Takakura mentions Popuri's presence if she's in his house on a Sunday, the excavation site people mention Gray, Dr. Hardy talks about Eli and Doctor, Celia mentions her cousin Karen, Lumina talks about Mary, Ruby talks about Ann, etc.

Otherwise, there's new random events, new records, the gravestone changing, and the addition of 5 new candidates, except the game ends if you marry a bachelorette. There's also a newspaper in the Japanese version that was removed for the NA release (out of laziness, perhaps :( ).

That does sound pretty interesting. I might've even considered going for Mary if the game didn't end after marrying her (seriously what is the purpose of making a bunch of heart events that end up being pointless in the end ;-;).

I think I'll go track down a physical copy since it's not too much more expensive than the Wii U port. Thanks for the advice.

And yeah, I plan on playing the NA version. Which also means I get to track down a version 1.1 copy of the game and keep messaging people selling the game on eBay to ask what the serial number is. Hooray.
I was so sad when I got Karen up to a Red Heart, proposed to her, and then my game restarted. Ughh, but honestly, it's pretty cool to have an extra 10-15 people walking around the town. It makes it feel more full! :)
Terra575
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I've never understood why the game has to end when you marry a Mineral Town person. Wouldn't it have been possible just to have them come live on your farm...? It's not like you would've had to go live in Mineral Town. Frustrating :/
The Ninja
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

Post  Posted:

Terra575 wrote:I've never understood why the game has to end when you marry a Mineral Town person. Wouldn't it have been possible just to have them come live on your farm...? It's not like you would've had to go live in Mineral Town. Frustrating :/
Yeah. What's even more annoying is that it got changed in DS Cute (so that when you marry the Mineral Town bachelors they'll live with you), but the original version of HMDS never got that changed for the bachelorettes.