* Search  * Register
It is currently Nov 24, 2020 12:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

sal880612m
  Post subject: How Do You Farm?
Post Posted: Aug 26, 2013 9:24 am 
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Basically as above how do you deal with your farming in the Rune Factory Series.
Do you use monsters to do it all?
Do you do it all yourself?
Do you use your entire field?
Do you only plant regrowable/phantom crops in dungeons?
Do you like farming in dungeons?
How long does it all take you?
Do you treat farming differently from game to game?
Do you level up your crops?
All of them?

Generally I end up tending my crops on my own for some reason or another. This can be a bit off a chore as the whole field is in use as soon as I can afford it. Except when I need an out of season crop I tend to plant only regrowable crops in the dungeons and then usually only on the field nearest the entrance. Once I amass enough wealth and purchase the main upgrades this changes to phantom crops. Watering my farm is a morning chore, in most of the games it is done in the three hours between 6 and 9 when most every other place opens. Each game's farming is a little different, RF1 and RF2 I take roughly the same approach to farming but am more likely to use monsters in RF2. In RF3 farming got the annoying soil mechanic and had the majority of the seeds unavailable at the start, so I tended to farm a great deal less. Usually only some of my crops get leveled up. Turnips/Pink Turnips almost always end up at level 10 but Pineapples usually stay level 1. I am much more likely to level up an Emery Flower than a Pineapple because it takes much longer to grow and it only has one harvest.

LeBurns
  Post subject: Re: How Do You Farm?
Post Posted: Aug 26, 2013 10:01 am 
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

I use the entire home field generally. Cave fields I will use if needed to unlock something, but I usually leave those alone since my trained monsters can't work them for me. The exception would be if I needed a certain seasonal crop from a cave. I will train monsters to do as much of the work as possible asap. Ants, I like using ants since it just seems natural for them to be harvesting and such. I have never concerned myself with crop quality or golden crops in RF games.

HM:ANB is the only game I worried about crop quality and 'big' and 'giant' crops since their price was so much better, and it was pretty easy to do. But generally in these games money isn't a real issue for long.

Tarojun Zakra
Post Posted: Aug 26, 2013 5:47 pm 
New Seedling
New Seedling

In RF2, 1st generation, I grew one of each crop type in every dungeon, tended to them as I pass by them on a full mining run. Main field had monsters only watering. I prefer to manually harvest myself, even if the entire field happened to be ready to harvest :!: . Had that once, when I forgot about my main field when doing excessive fishing. Not sure on total time spent, since after visiting 2 or 3 dungeons, I go greet all the townsfolk, check requests, and shipping things off, then go finish off the last ones in the evening. I would roughly guess 5-8 hours total, depending how many grown crops.
In 2nd generation, I did quite little farming. The kid had too much adventure and crafting, that only the main field been bothered with, the dungeon fields only serving as a RP battery, or those crops/flowers needing more than 30 days.
Didn't make money at all, it was spend spend spend in 2nd generation, and still had 2.5m gold by the time got the dad back.

In RF3, didn't even think about money once my field is completely filled up. I only used the main field, and I keep it bare in the last week of the season, repeatedly sowing cheap out of season seeds to make withered grass next day to improve soil quality for the next season. I don't know why though, but I have to hammer flat the soil and till it again for next batch of withered grass, otherwise additional withered grass does nothing. Takes most of the day for this bit... In fact, I think this takes up the most amount of total time actually spent on the main field, as I usually finish by about 1-4PM depending inventory space and I started on it asap when I wake up, for the last couple days of the seasons to ensure top quality soil for next season.

As for what I grow, I grow 27 of everything, and spare space grow additional crystal-type flowers for stat medicines.
Always used monsters to do the work for me in the field, as there's surprisingly quite little time per day in my opinion.
Dungeons fields are where I primarily level up the crops to lv10, and I leave it bare once that is fulfilled. Useful getting the grass I need when the apothecary shop is closed for the day, and I find that I need a certain few.
I would do farming in the dungeon too, but the soil system would be annoying and I lose track of quality (don't always use the magnifying glass) and some of the distances for the field is just too far to water every day, or when attempting to improve quality again.
The monsters aren't a problem at all, since I could easily just bring anyone to accompany me to sort it (Okay, I lied, Shara and Rusk are not helpful for attacking). On days (real life days!) when I'm annoyed, I just bring Marian to speed clear. Also back then when I used the fields for leveling the crops, she was the first to 7 hearts, so unlimited time together.
Often tend to dungeon fields at night because half-hoping it would of rained during the course of the day so I could save time in not needing to water the fields, and simply check if crops are grown or not.
Pineapples and golden crops, were the last to level 10 for me, and scary when I get a storm when in the Sharance maze... I think I had to restart 5 times when I came out to see the precious crop destroyed, and I just did an especially long good run in the Dragon Ruins or Mystery Maze... Couldn't bear with losing a lv5-9 golden cabbage and pumpkin and restarting at level 1! :( At least pineapples got a point of restart, as I can collect from it regrowing. :lala:

In summary, I like seeing my main fields in full variety of crops each season has to offer, monsters watering it and I manually harvest and replant. A bit dangerous trend for me personally, to have monsters watering it, as I became incredibly lazy in HM games now because of this, thinking someone else would water the crops for me... :sleep: Then realize it's Harvest Moon and not Rune Factory, and try to quickly water at dead of night! :shock:

Googaboga
Post Posted: Aug 26, 2013 6:00 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

I really like farming in most RF games. I do it all myself unless I'm playing ToD. I don't normally use the entire field very often but sometimes I do, it happens more often in RFF and ToD than the hand held games.

I plant crops in dungeons all the time. It is very useful.

My farming time tends to be pretty balanced with the time I spend doing other things. I don't grow more than I can handle. But when it is time to harvest it can take up my whole day if many things end up being full grown at the same time.

Yeah I treat farming differently in the games. I farmed a lot in all games except 3. I hardly bothered to grow anything in that game. And in ToD I still farmed but I didn't view it in the same way because I wasn't doing as much.

No. I don't normally bother leveling up crops. I do sometimes but only for a few types.

Cotton Candy Mareep
Post Posted: Aug 26, 2013 6:39 pm 
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

In Rune Factory games, farming isn't usually a top priority for me except for where it was necessary to grow certain vegetables in order to unlock areas in dungeons. Since I don't farm all that much, I generally like to just take care of the watering and harvesting on my own, though I do enlist the help of one or two monsters of mine. However, that was different in Tides of Destiny, where the monsters did all the work for me.

I almost never use up all of my fields, but I do like growing crops in dungeons, it's much more convenient for me. You know, as long as I remember they're there, haha. And yes, I usually prefer to plant only regrowable/phantom crops in the dungeons.

I handle the farming a slightly different way in each game, and honestly, I almost never bother leveling up my crops.

Colin2011
Post Posted: Aug 26, 2013 7:31 pm 
Not the Eggplant Wizard
Not the Eggplant Wizard

I'm one of those people who doesn't use monsters to help farm and uses the entire field. I work on my fields first thing every morning and use a variety of different crop seeds. If no runes pop up in my field, I heal up with food after the work's done. I don't plant crops in the RF3 dungeons because I can just use food but in the original RF, I do plant crops but never harvest them so I can have the runes ready every day. Phantom crops suck for the amount of money you get in return for the work you put into them.

SerpentTailedAngel
Post Posted: Aug 26, 2013 9:44 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

I like to keep a full field and manage everything myself... which might be why I wasn't so found of the farming in ToD. In Frontier I did cave and tame something to help with harvesting (because even with that I can spend a whole day picking crops when my whole field finishes growing at once), but otherwise I take care of it all myself first thing in the morning. And I do like to try and raise crop levels, once I've taken care of the plot. I'll usually have stuff growing in dungeons during off seasons so I can have top level crops by the time the proper season rolls around.

sal880612m
Post Posted: Aug 26, 2013 10:41 pm 
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Quote:
In RF3, didn't even think about money once my field is completely filled up. I only used the main field, and I keep it bare in the last week of the season, repeatedly sowing cheap out of season seeds to make withered grass next day to improve soil quality for the next season. I don't know why though, but I have to hammer flat the soil and till it again for next batch of withered grass, otherwise additional withered grass does nothing. Takes most of the day for this bit... In fact, I think this takes up the most amount of total time actually spent on the main field, as I usually finish by about 1-4PM depending inventory space and I started on it asap when I wake up, for the last couple days of the seasons to ensure top quality soil for next season.

I think I only really used my full field in RF3 to produce a tone of Levelizer. I did a bit of experimentation with the soil quality and found that it took I think 2-3 of the Formula C (shortend by 3 days) pounded into the soil to raise it from essentially the lowest quality to the highest. My Pharmacy skill rose very rapidly. Still absolutely hate that mechanic. If you have a regrowable crop planted it will actually start regrowing slower as the quality reduces and you can't really improve the soil without destroying the crop :(

I am once again playing through the first generation of RF2, it is pretty easy to handle your entire field pretty much from the beginning. On any day where I am not harvesting I spend three hours watering, any day I am harvesting (the entire field) I end up with about three hours to spare after harvesting, watering, dealing with dungeon fields and monsters and talking to everyone. I try to go to sleep before midnight, so I think I technically have four hours room but I picked up the thought that weather is/was in some game set once the date changed so I don't like to save after 12.

Quote:
Phantom crops suck for the amount of money you get in return for the work you put into them.

I am having vague recollections of figuring out the profit/day for each crop in one of the games, and while the crop itself doesn't do great I seem to recall the seeds being a little more worthwhile. As I said vague possibly incorrect recollections. Also I tend to think of you(Colin2011) as playing RF3, the one game I am positive those recollections aren't about.

Rice
Post Posted: Aug 30, 2013 4:49 pm 
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Ah, nice topic! I think it'd be pretty neat to make a poll for this.

In the beginning, I generally do all the farming and in the end my monsters do all the work..Depending on the game.

Do you use monsters to do it all?
In RF1,RF2 2nd gen.,RF3, RFF, and RFToD/RFO
When I played RF2 1st gen., I did the work myself, because there wasn't any watering monsters and I prefer to harvest myself to give gifts to villagers. As for RF3, I just..I hated how farming worked, it kept storming like crazy and it was annoying to keep up my fields. So I just plowed a bit and let my monsters plant wherever they want. For RFF, I don't feel like I have much time for farming, there's so many places to be and people to talk to, so I let my little monsters do it for me. Finally, in RFToD/RFO, I can't farm because they do it for me so...Yep.
Do you do it all yourself?
Only in RF2 1st generation which I explained above. I guess I started out to be a big farmer in RFF but that dwindled quickly.
Do you use your entire field?
I try to use it all, I don't like seeing an empty or messy field.
Do you only plant regrowable/phantom crops in dungeons?
Not really, and no. But both are good ideas! I wonder what a phantom crop even looks like...Isn't it worth more?
Do you like farming in dungeons?
I don't know if I like it so much, but I think it's very helpful, since it replenishes my RP so I don't have to start the dungeon all over again when I take a bath.
How long does it all take you?
To cover the entire field? Not too long(with the help of monsters), but to water them all it takes a bit out of my dungeon time.
Do you treat farming differently from game to game?
Yes,indeed I do.
Do you level up your crops?
Once I get a seedmaker and some fertilizer in my hands I get so hyped up and start with the fastest growing vegetable(radishes) to try it out and see it progress much quicker. So,yes!

fourside
Post Posted: Sep 03, 2013 7:46 pm 
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

In the first Rune Factory, I mostly farmed in the dungeons to build up my 'rune factories' so I could have enough RP to clear them and mine and things. I occasionally farmed at home when I needed a bit of cash. I mostly just made my own equipment so I didn't have to farm on the home field too much. I never bothered with the monsters. The only reason I ever tamed monsters was so I could get in to Kasimir Ruins.

In Rune Factory 2, I just plant a few plants to make enough money to get by.

In Rune Factory 3, I plant all of one field and leave the other unplanted. I switch fields each season. I do all the
farming myself because I'm too lazy to take care of the monsters. But I have to do more work...

To sum things up,
Do you use monsters to do it all? No.
Do you do it all yourself? Yes.
Do you use your entire field? Not usually.
Do you only plant regrowable/phantom crops in dungeons? I only plant in dungeons in RF1 and that's only for runes, so no. I plant the cheapest crops in dungeons.
Do you like farming in dungeons? I did in RF1. It made the dungeons feel more like a big deal when I had to take a week preparing for them.
How long does it all take you? Too long. Once I get upgraded farm tools, about 3 in-game hours.
Do you treat farming differently from game to game? Definitely.
Do you level up your crops? No. I just plant a lot and sell a lot.

TwilitShaymin
Post Posted: Sep 06, 2013 11:23 pm 
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

I farmed Pink Turnips for Mana. I used no monsters and after doing it a third time, I quit. Until the stone things >.>
It all went fairly quick, considering I did a small amount each time. Leveling up things seemed useless, considering I just used them for requests/gifts.
All of them were grown in the spring dungeon though.

Yeah, I'm a terrible farmer. I didn't really farm in most HM games either. I relied on forging and animals (and did so in RF2).

Usagi5678
Post Posted: Sep 11, 2013 6:32 pm 
Not the Eggplant Wizard
Not the Eggplant Wizard

Well with the exception of TOD I did all the farming myself.I don't like using all the field because of how much RP that consumes.As for dungeon crops,I generally only grow things that take more time than there is in a season and those are all non-renewable crops.As for leveling up crops,I don't really do that since animal products sell for more.In RFF I do have monsters that clear the rocks and stumps on the field,since clearing them takes a lot of RP.

Mooshroom
Post Posted: Sep 12, 2013 11:49 am 
New Seedling
New Seedling

Do you use monsters to do it all? No, I don't trust them to do a good job.
Do you do it all yourself? Yes.
Do you use your entire field? No, I use about half of it.
Do you only plant regrowable/phantom crops in dungeons? No. I use cheap crops like turnips.
Do you like farming in dungeons? No, I like having all my crops at my farm.
How long does it all take you? I'm usually done before noon.
Do you treat farming differently from game to game? Not really.
Do you level up your crops? No, too much trouble.