Ushi No Tane - Harvest Moon

The forum for Ushi No Tane, a Harvest Moon fansite

* Rules    * Login 

* Search  * Register
It is currently Sep 25, 2020 11:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
quigley
Post Posted: Feb 25, 2016 6:37 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

So, RF4 is great, and has so many great things going for it.

But I've kinda lost interest. So I've been looking into playing the older games.

I've always heard that it's difficult to go back in the series because the gameplay isn't as refined and stuff like that.

I've played RF3 before, so I just recently started RF2. And I love it! It has its own special charm, and so far I haven't really noticed any significant gameplay differences.

Now I really wanna try RF1 (after I've played 2 enough), but I always hear it doesn't play as well.

...Okay, I've rambled on enough now. To make this thread more useful, I ask you: Do you ever go back to earlier RF games? Are you able to get past any gameplay differences?

SerpentTailedAngel
Post Posted: Feb 26, 2016 10:03 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

I actually go back to RF1 quite a bit, and while I love it, I do think it'ss where most of the gameplay issues people talk about in older installments are. People don't move around much and dialogue is limited, so the down doesn't feel as alive. Drop rates are atrocious, and while the crafting isn't bad, there are some weapons that you can't get all the materials do without trading until you're far enough in the game that said weapons are no longer worth making. But it has one of my favorite plots, and even if the dialogue is sparse and people hardly interact, it has quite a few enjoyable characters. You might need to unlock events with them to really get to know them, but they can turn out to have hidden depth if you put forth the effort. It's not a bad game. It just falls short of what RF4 does.

Dungeon wise, the only criticisms I have of it are that the Escape spell doesn't work when you're sealed. Since you can actually die in the earlier games, if you are both sealed and poisoned do not save while in a dungeon. You also tend to burn through your RP fast, but aside from the part where spells can only use RP, RF1 doesn't give you a massive penalty for using HP instead of RP for actions, so the only real consequence of that it that you'll pretty much never use magic.

Plattym3
Post Posted: Mar 30, 2016 6:13 am 
New Seedling
New Seedling

I've sunk well over 500 hours into the Rune Factory games on DS and just recently decided to give Tides of Destiny a try on my PS4 (via the PS Now feature). Loving it all over again. I might have to go back and play one of the old games after this 90-day rental is over. Missing being on mobile, but Tides is definitely a fun game. Think I've done 15 hours in the past 4 days. Thank goodness for Spring Break!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]