* Rules    * Login 

* Search  * Register
It is currently Sep 26, 2020 5:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

quigley
Post Posted: Feb 25, 2016 6:41 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Not counting the non-handheld games, it seems (to me) like farming has become a smaller and smaller part of RF with each game.

I think one thing I like in RF2 is that you have an actual farmhouse with a big field; it feels more like a real farm.
In RF3, you live in a tree with a field underneath it (that somehow still manages to receive rainfall, which...is another topic for another time), but it doesn't really feel as much like a farm.

In RF4, the farm is basically your backyard. It doesn't feel very much like a farm (before expansions of course).

I'm not trying to criticize RF3 or 4 at all, they're great games. This is just an observation I've made.

Kemine
Post Posted: Feb 26, 2016 11:20 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

I think RF4 does okay with their farming. But I do agree that I don't feel like I need to rely on it as much as I used to in previous games. I remember in rf1 it was very beneficial to farm since that was a good way to get RP back. You needed fields in all the dungeons so that you'd be able to have enough RP to beat the boss.

It's been VERY LONG since I've played RF2 or 3, and I honestly don't remember much (though I didn't finish 2)

But in 4 there is a little less reliance on it. Farming provides veggies, which are a good source of ingredients and income. You turn those crops into cooked items, your cooking skill goes up, and you can make food that replenishes RP. You can also just sell the crops. Add in the skill points you get from the Runeys when you harvest, and that's a nice benefit. You also need to do a little basic farming to finish requests...but those aren't necessary to the storyline.

For instance, replenishing your RP while in the field isn't that hard since you can find flowers and stones to break to fill it up (I believe 25%? I don't watch it that close). But you also may not need to if you aren't using your RP while fighting. I think rf1 had you use RP when you did anything, so it was super important. I do like that in 4 I'm not using my RP for everything. But this means then that you may not need to worry about bringing dishes to eat, so you may not need the cooking skill.

The bonus skill points are nice...but since you can earn those doing other things, no biggie.

Ultimately though, I do like that farming does have some purpose since it's probably going to be your biggest source of income since a lot of monster drops are going to go into crafting and forging. You also need to grow flowers to make medicines to heal you when you can't use cure. But you can just buy those flowers. Or if you're not farming and spending your RP there, you're saving it for when you do use cure.

But what are you spending money on? Mostly just upgrades since it's apparently better to forge your own equipment. And you have to break rocks and chop stumps as well for those.

Now that I've typed this all up, I like that 4 does have a good balance. You don't need to farm to be able to do the storyline. You may not even need to farm in order to marry because your betrothed may not like veggies or flowers. I think even in other HM games you technically may not need to farm there either if you just want to date someone. So if farming isn't your thing and you're only growing pineapples to make juice to make money, then that's fine. It's not going to cripple the game.

Alllllllll that said, haha, I enjoy the farming mechanic. Oddly, I like the idea of having to rotate my fields. I enjoy the farming aspect and I think it feels better than RF3 did. I like seeing crops grow and I'm kind of thinking of leveling up all the crops and cooking them and selling them. I wish seasonal fields weren't so randomly sized (seriously?? a 4x4 summer field??? and a huge winter field??) but I like that they're easier to get to.

But I do agree that they're probably moving away from the farming aspect, or making it so you don't feel so tied down to it, especially since you could probably finish all the storyline arcs without bothering much with your fields.

tl;dr I dunno but I like talking about this game because it's awesome but the forums are slow because it's old and I only just got the game this past September but I'm still playing it because it's fantastic and awesome.

rachellion
Post Posted: Feb 26, 2016 1:03 pm 
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

I will talk forever about RF4's farming! I agree with Kems a lot but yea it does feel like they're moving towards more of a balance and less of an emphasis on farming with the Rune Factory games.

Which, given what a « Cow Poopoo » show the Runey mechanic was for farming in RFF, I'm actually kind of okay with? I like the farming but I also definitely value balance between the farming and dungeon crawling in these games. In RFF the balance was off because they added the Runey mechanic, and in RF ToD it didn't feel the same because there wasn't much farming to do (and what you could do felt automated).

RF4 is still easily the best RF game in the series, imo. Good balance between farming and dungeon crawling, to the point where you want to do both and there's benefits for farming.

Kemine
Post Posted: Feb 26, 2016 4:47 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Oh yes, I loved RFF, but the Runey system was a giant pain until you figured out the trick. Even then though I still had to maintain it all the time, what with putting grass runeys here and taking them there and evening it out and while I remember getting the hang of it, it wasn't very easy without a guide. I own ToD, but I couldn't get into it because my TV was too small and I couldn't see the map and it got annoying. I ought to try again.

And yes! I feel like in RF4 I enjoy doing all of it. I enjoy farming, I like trying to figure out how to grow crops...but I also like doing the dungeons and hunting for drops so I can forge and craft. It's a really great and fabulous balance.

Soapylion
Post Posted: Feb 27, 2016 9:38 am 
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Omg the RFF Runey System. I was in love with that game until the whole Runey thing was introduced, and maintaining the levels was just infuuuuriating. I'm so glad that idea wasn't brought over to RF4.

I totally see what you mean though, Quigley. I remember in the earlier games it was really handy to have some fields of crops in dungeons to replenish your RP, but I don't think that was really necessary in RF4?? And omg I felt like it was really easy to earn a ridiculous amount of money without having to put in too much effort. But. RF4 is still my fave in the series.

Maybe as the series has gone on, they've wanted to make the game more flexible with how you can play it. In earlier games, you pretty much have to farm to make any progress, but the later games cater for people who might prefer focussing on the dungeon crawling, animal raising, weapon/tool making, or villager befriending aspects. RF4 is really nice and balanced like the others have said~ It's so GOOD.

I NEED TO PLAY RF4 AGAIN. I played it non-stop for a while last year, and then got discouraged when those random heart events wouldn't appear.