Favourite Rune Factory game (other than RF4)

Covering Innocent Life (PsP/Ps2), Rune Factory 1 (DS), Rune Factory 2 (DS), Rune Factory 3 (DS/Switch), Rune Factory Frontier (Wii), Rune Factory Tides of Destiny (Wii/Ps3), Rune Factory 4 (3DS/Switch/Steam), and Rune Factory 5 (Switch/Steam).

Favourite Rune Factory game (other than RF4)

You may select 1 option

View results

marumaru
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

I'm actually really bad at picking a single favorite, especially since I love all of the handheld RF games so much. They're so different from each other that they're hard to compare, so I guess I'll just talk about each of them since I rarely get to do it haha.
May have some really minor spoilers, but probably nothing you wouldn't already know if you've seen the games discussed before.

RF1 has a huge nostalgia factor for me (I mean, it is over 10 years old and everything), and it's also the one I've gone back to most often. I really like how down to earth the designs and general aesthetic is despite being fantasy, and the small cast of characters is really comfy. I think the actual dungeon crawling aspect of this game is probably the hardest of the four, but I don't think it's a bad thing. Going into the dungeons feels really adventorous and properly dangerous because you might end up spending a lot of time down there, and I like how much planning you get to do trying to figure out the most efficient places of planting crops and at what points to take a break.
Some of the NPC's are still my absolute favorites to this day (Russel, Lucas, Ceci), and I still adore Rosetta to death.

RF2 is one of those instances that when you first fall in love with a game and feel like it couldn't get any better, you find out there's more! I was really hyped to play this, and thankfully wasn't left disappointed. While the "help build our town oh kind stranger" isn't a mechanic I'm a fan of in bokumono games in general, I felt that it worked in a fantasy setting way better. I also really liked doing the little requests for everyone as it offered some variation to my usual daily routine in the game. Huge plus for having my favorite girl in all games so far, Yue, as a bachelorette. Also Jake. I love that boy.
While I don't really like the plot forcing you to marry in these games, it was luckily an easy pick like mentioned above, and the children are so cute. Marrying Yue meant that all the rival marriages ended up being the canon choises which really made the second generation arc work for me.

RF3 and oh man I love this game. While out of all the games this one probably had the most things I didn't care for, it also had so much going for it that I just stop caring about anything negative I might have thought of. Let's just start with the fact that Micah is adorable. Also I found living in a huge tree with a farm plot underneath ridiculously romantic, and being able to turn into a golden Wooly really cemented in the fantasy aspect of the game. While the first two games were really down to earth (in a good way), RF3 had a more whimsical aesthetic to it which I felt was a nice change. Again didn't really care for the plot marriage, but I think it worked well because some of the bachelorettes were also not exactly human so bonding over the whole monster aspect made the whole idea more approachable for me. Out of all the games RF3 had the least interesting selection of bachelorettes for me, but because you had to get married I ended up liking some of them a lot more than I initially thought I would, so it all worked out. Also the most important aspect of this game that others severely lack: Gaius.

I'd love to go on about how much I also love RF4 but that's probably been discussed so much I'll leave it. Anyway they're all excellent games, and if someone still hasn't played all of them I do wholeheartedly suggest giving them a try.
Lewcinda
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

I enjoyed RF2 quite immensely. I still need to play the others as RF1 & 2 are the only ones I've completed. I started RF3 and love the characters. It's frustrating not having Gaius as a potential bachelor but all the different bachelorettes are great. For some reason I just end up slowing and then stopping entirely. I would like to finish it so I can play 4 and I believe I own ToD and Frontier as well... just need to find the motivation.
Rositchi
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

All of them! I've recently restarted playing through them all as well in anticipation/preparation for Rune Factory 5. In general, I love the music and seeing the improvements from game to game as going back makes you really appreciate how far this series has gone. There's quite a bit in each game that I really enjoy so here they are:

Rune Factory 1: Once you know the story, what you need to do and all, it's really easy to breeze through, until waiting for winter to enter Misty Bloom Cave, but you can glitch into the final dungeon with the wolf for early platinum and all gems. I love mining and the fact that it's the best and fastest way to make money is a plus. Love levels going past 10 which applied to the price of most items. Level 50+ platinum is so brokenly awesome!

Rune factory 2: The second generation, where you get to do everything pretty much, is the best. Never experienced it but thought it was cool that, with enough patience or sleeping until then, you could steal brides from the altar! Running without holding R.

Rune Factory Frontier: Didn't understand the Runey system at first but I love it now that I get it. Seeing RF1 characters and hearing some of the re-used music was really nostalgic. First RF in 3-D! Having 500 RP instead if the measly 100. Dupe consumable items glitch possible on all bosses, easiest with Cluckogriff.

Rune Factory 3: The whole synopsis of being half monster is straight up awesome. Brawling was my highest fighting skill with short sword and dual blades right behind. Also, Dual Blades introduced, my favorite weapon class in all subsequent RFs or any games with weapon classes. Easier to grow the tough crops: could have emery flowers in as short as 24 days. Upgrade system for equipment introduced. Higher skills actually adding to the benefit of the player other than only reducing RP consumption. Player level going past 99. Sharance maze. Magic being easier and more rewarding to use. Skills for walking, sleeping, eating and doing just about anything. Using the Talisman to become invincible!!!!

Rune Factory Tides of Destiny: Traveling the oceans on a giant plant Golem, giant monster fights, and being able to focus on fighting more than farm work. Befriending extra powerful monsters that had exclusive items. Introduction of Giant crops! 3-D character sprites used in conversations, felt it really helped bring them to life. Being able to Jump! A skill tied to keeping your spouse happy after marriage even if at 10 hearts. Those thank you smooches fully healed HP and RP so its worth it when you've already taken a bath that day.
juicebox
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

frontier was my first and my favorite rune factory, even if it's rough around the edges. ):
i still have a lot of warmth for it and the cast. there's something laidback and homey feeling about it and the way they deal with the color palette is really quite nice. and honestly, their first step into a full console release was pretty impressive and i respect that...

would i ever replay it? probably not, but that is also because i'd have to set up the wii just to play it. rune factory frontier HD remaster for switch! Marvelous let's go!!