Animated sprites?

Covering Innocent Life (PsP/Ps2), Rune Factory 1 (DS), Rune Factory 2 (DS), Rune Factory 3 (DS/Switch), Rune Factory Frontier (Wii), Rune Factory Tides of Destiny (Wii/Ps3), Rune Factory 4 (3DS/Switch/Steam), and Rune Factory 5 (Switch/Steam).
Venus 67
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

So it seems rf4s will feature new animated sprites for the newly wed section of the game. Should they keep that in rf5? Or should they remove sprites and use 3d models? Opinions?
Souja
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

Honestly I'm not the biggest fan of the Live2D sprites. I think my opinion might change if there was a bit more gesture to their poses, but something about the base/breathing motions feels weird to look at. I do like the idea of animated portraits though. Maybe blinking eyes or a small tic?

I'd be down for 3d sprites though!! Especially if they were updated versions of like, Avalon Code sprites or games like that with more people sized proportions. (plus. you could dress up the villagers technically!!) I'd really miss having portraits though, haha.
nyahoarder
New Seedling
New Seedling

Post  Posted:

It'd be interesting in tandem with fully voiced dialogue, I think! Though that's asking a lot, haha. I'm really split in general, honestly. I think vn style static sprites are a lot of fun and offer a lot of potential to be expressive and goofy, and Live2D can sometimes be a little too smooth and like... moving for the sake of it? But then RF4's sprites weren't exactly lively on their own (since they were so focused on facial expressions and not poses) so if it'd be like that otherwise it'd be a nice way to push the expressiveness a bit.