Is Rune Factory 5 good?

Covering Innocent Life (PsP/Ps2), Rune Factory 1 (DS), Rune Factory 2 (DS), Rune Factory 3 (DS/Switch), Rune Factory Frontier (Wii), Rune Factory Tides of Destiny (Wii/Ps3), Rune Factory 4 (3DS/Switch/Steam), and Rune Factory 5 (Switch/Steam).
Auxliza
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

Also, is the marriage candidates great :?:
PaleSunflower
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

It depends on who you ask. The score on Metacritic scores are 68/100 for critics and 6.8/10 for users as of when I write this. These are middling scores - the game isn't bad, but it's not particularly great, either. Most people seem to agree that the game can be fun, but that it also struggles to outclass its predecessor, Rune Factory 4, especially since Rune Factory 4: Special Edition is also available for a lower cost than Rune Factory 5 on the Nintendo Switch. Rune Factory 5 struggles to run, even crashing randomizing at times, and a lot of people don't care for how Rune Factory 5 looks. Rune Factory 5 also shares a lot gameplay and story elements with Rune Factory 4, so a common complaint is that Rune Factory 5 struggles to make a name for itself. On a related note, if you liked Rune Factory 4, then you'll probably find some enjoyment from Rune Factory 5.

As for the marriage candidates, it depends on the player, honestly. As Rune Factory 5 allows members of the same gender to marry, Rune Factory 5 has the most potential marriage candidates with a total of 12. You'll probably find someone to like among them.
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

If you liked/loved RF4 and want more of it, then you'll probably love RF5, as that's what it is. More RF4, with new (but of familiar tropes only) characters and a new (but same formula) story, reskinned. It's a good game, but being their comeback game, it's also very unoriginal and without much innovation. The only thing that felt innovative in this game, to me, was the seal spell and its function in catching/taming monsters and gathering materials. Everything else about the game feels very familiar and nothing feels unexpected or surprising. So if you either didn't like RF4, or if you DID like RF4 but are ready for something new in the series, you may be disappointed by RF5.

The graphics and performance can be slightly rough, though never anything that bothered me, personally.

I hope that RF6 will have a stronger sense of its own identity and be less of a clone of the game that came before it.
LeBurns
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Post  Posted:

If you've not played a RF game before I'd get RF4S. But I personally am having a lot of fun with RF5. The 3D combat and movement takes a little time to get used to, but once you do it's fine.

One thing that does bother me is that RF4S has these great animated character sprites in the sub-stories. It just adds a lot of life to the characters as they are talking and such. I really thought this feature would carry over into RF5, but it doesn't which was really disappointing to me.
Randomdomdim
Anonymous Fish

Post  Posted:

It’s fine. Not amazing, not horrible. I was entertained.

I’ve played every RF game though, which biased me to what’s missing or could have been.

It was just too soft and sweet for me. The power of prayers and love, and how it’s overemphasized, made it too gushy. I miss the days where love interests had rivalries and jealousy. Where they could have their own kids a la RF2. I miss the hidden innuendos of beach day in RF Frontier. I miss how in RF4, you could try to sleep in a love interest’s bed and they’d have perverted or embarrassed lines. I miss silver wolves that run fast and you don’t have this awkward side saddle seat to bounce around on.

Also, plot holes. Need to reach the clouds? Well there’s a « Harvest Goddess » living down the road for that. How does he fit into anything? Who knows. The backstories could have been far richer, in my opinion. The characters needed more quirks and personality.

They were lazy with the furniture and other aspects as well. Why can’t I have a fireplace against the wall? Why are the three kids all sleeping in the same little bed with three vertical pillows?

What I liked were inclusions such as an age range for love interests (I’m aging w/the games. Cecil looks like a child. A confident older Lucas who’s not afraid to tell you how cute your blush is was a refreshing addition.) And teleportation is a wonderful thing. The crests are funny as well (e.g., going into someone’s house at night or taking them as a travel companion whether they like it or not.)