* Rules    * Login 

* Search  * Register
It is currently Oct 22, 2021 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Daisuke Tsubasa
Post Posted: Jan 12, 2021 10:10 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Idk if I'm taking a bunch of pixels, polygons and 2d portraits too seriously and this is more of a ramble if anything but hear me out. So in the early 2010s we knew for a fact that unmarriagable older women was more of a running gag by Hashimoto and at the time we all took it as tongue in cheek, fun and games, etc.

A decade later - demographics have changed vastly. RF5 will be played a huge chunk of people who've waited for this series to come back and have gotten way older (if they're still into the series) only to get the most milquetoast bachelorettes we've had so far, variety wise. Maybe I'm judging too much on appearances and surface value but the times have changed.

I am not buying that "oh the japanese like younger looking characters" when Lisa, Jean, Beidou, Ningguang from Genshin Impact or older characters from Fate/Grand Order or Granblue Fantasy get shittons of fanart. That is not the case at all. And Hakama knows they have a niche but heavy western following so I dont just chalk this up as "Oh but the Japanese like it". I dunno.

I dont wanna sound like a party pooper but damn, they could have taken it the extra step but they didn't.

RodCopper Fishin
Post Posted: Jan 12, 2021 11:38 am 
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Is it really a joke that they do? I never knew that. Idk, to me, the older women are cool characters, but they’re not marriageable in my mind. They’re not more appealing to me than the bachelorettes. It strikes me like they are trying to give them more life experience because they are older, making them more interesting. I also find the bachelorettes this time really interesting. In every RF game, actually. Not everyone shares the opinion though. I just wasn’t aware that people feel this way about the older ladies. I can understand the frustration and hopefully the devs will take it into account next time if people are really voicing their opinions.

Kikki
Post Posted: Jan 12, 2021 12:18 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

People have actually been quite vocal about wanting the older characters as candidates for all the games, though, pretty much...it hasn't seemed to help. (For example, there was a huge outcry for characters like Bado, Illuminata and Lin Fa in RF4. Porcoline, too...I LOVE Porco...but he's a bit of a different story.) I don't care about bachelorettes at all of course, on a personal level, since I never go for them, but I do think the selection looks quite young. They don't look like babies or anything, but none of them have a mature aura, to me. But the bachelor age range (how they seem in age, that is, since I don't know how old any of them actually ARE) looks quite good to me this time. Though it's a shame that the blond Seed officer or whatever he is, isn't available. The skinny guy with the wavy hair and little round shades, too. But Hina's mom and the doctor take the cake, this time, I think. Really attractive female characters who give off the air of being experienced adults. There's the busty maid/waitress, too.

Though I don't have an opinion on it being a running gag taken too far or anything. I just do think it's a shame that there's always a few non-candidates who are more appealing than any of the candidates. (Though I don't feel that way about the guys this time, just the girls.)

Last edited by Kikki on Jan 13, 2021 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blue Rose
Post Posted: Jan 12, 2021 1:57 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

I think there are a few things to consider:

1.) Genshin Impact (and any other similar game) has a very different market compared to RF. Being a gacha game, they have a mass amount of chatactets and can afford more experimentation with characters because of the size. These games are "set" and don't have an extending cast every new month/whatever. Note: I never played GI so if it's not like other gachas in this aspect, my b.

2.) While a good chunk of the fanbase has aged, they still want to appeal to newer folks and this has been their style for awhile. Especially with this being their comeback game, I can understand why they would want to play it safe and stick to what's been successful in the past.

However, I will say I do think they went a little too safe for the girls and the lack of older bachelorettes (or more mature looking and/or lack of body type variety) is really disappointing. Id give my right arm for Murakumo's sister or anyone remotely close to something like her.

Personally, my biggest disappointment comes from the art disparity between portraits in game and concept art. A lot of characters look really off anatomically in their portraits, and it feels like a lot of the bachelorettes are the most frequent victims of this. Beatrice and Fuuka look younger in game compared to their official art and their anatomy feels off, especially for Fuuka.

Edit: i think one thing that stands out to me is that the MILFs this time around are much younger than before. Maybe it's style change but while they were always hot, the moms in previous games definitely looked like they were older-older. We had girls before that were our age but not wooable for w/e reason (Sofia's sister) and the Maid girl seems to be that trope this time around, but Lucy's mom and Hina's mom really don't feel that much older. Or at least Hina's mom doesn't look that much older than her brother.

Night Owl
Post Posted: Jan 12, 2021 8:36 pm 
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

I agree with the sentiment that they played it a bit too safe in regards to the girls this time around. They all look roughly the same-ish when it comes to body type. I chalk it up to this being their first game in a while and wanting to play it more on the safer side. They can always do free DLC where they make the restaurant owner girl into a candidate because she's not that much of a stretch unless she's like Lin Fa and has a faceless NPC significant other. :lol: I'm always going to assume the candidates with kids are off the table. But really, I'd trade Priscilla for her sister as candidates.

Although really, the lack of body type variety has always really been an issue for them. Forte should've had defined muscles because she was a knight. When you look at 4's entire cast and realize that Leon (and Bado, but he's not a candidate) is the only one with defined muscles it gets a bit strange despite certain characters being more active than others. Guess weight training went of style while he was asleep. Seriously, everyone else is a bit, uh, noodly. I kinda expect the same for 5 to an extent, but at least Martin looks like he's a blacksmith with those arms.

As an aside, they seem to experiment more readily in the spin off/side titles like Frontier and Tides/Oceans. Frontier had Eunice, and at least there were a lot of girls in Tides/Oceans that were very different from one another. Granted they also experimented with Oceans/Tides' farming and I really wasn't a fan of it. Still, it might be another spin-off/side title for them to really hit their proper stride again when it comes to designs.

LeBurns
Post Posted: Jan 13, 2021 6:31 am 
Ultimate Farming Fanatic
Ultimate Farming Fanatic

Well having played RF4 for the last few months, I'd have to say RF5 looks better IMO, so they went in the right direction some. I really hate my character in RF4 looking like a 12 year old, and certain bachelorettes looking even younger.

So RF5 isn't being made for a more mature crowd, nor does it seem they added much in more mature options, but it's better IMO than RF4 at least. Again I have to write it off as 'art style' and assume everyone is actually older than they look.

Mikodesu
Post Posted: Jan 13, 2021 9:54 am 
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

I feel like Rune Factory is a victim of capitalism. *sigh* I can't blame the executives who made the decision to follow the money (if Marvelous was doing that well I don't think they would have taken money from Tencent), but I can't not be frustrated either. My version of a happy middle ground is to make the portraits more purposely ambiguous. It's not all that difficult to do, but it's an impossible ask because it doesn't match the art style of the prior games as well. :/

The problem is I don't think there's much we can do as fans that doesn't leave us without games to play. If we buy it they think that's exactly what we want and we get more of the same, but if we don't the series gets axed. RF needs a competitor.

Edit: Thinking more about it, the worst part for me is that they seem to be talking out of both sides of their mouth with this one? To say the leads and romanceable characters have to be young (for the young audience) while including characters with purposely titillating designs...like say, Misasagi.

I know part of the issue is the difference between how Japan views/rates sexual content in media compared to the US (where I'm from) but...I dunno. I feel like there's a line somewhere before big cleavage and hot pants. *shrug*

nightshade2010
Post Posted: Jan 17, 2021 12:25 am 
Huggy Chickens
Huggy Chickens

i get it tho .... the most interesting female in rune factory frontier was the elf blacksmith, everyone, i know whos played it has said "I couldn't we marry her as a special character like the HG in harvest moon

we ended up with cinnamon tho ...

XxWizardxMollyxX14
Post Posted: Jan 21, 2021 6:08 pm 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

I wouldn't say that they gag has gone too far, but I totally get how annoying it is for those who pursue women not to have any older candidates, especially if you're older yourself. One day it would be super cool to have a true and genuine mother character as a candidate. That aside, I think Lily from ToD was a great example of the type of character I prefer, and even older than that, too.

Katze
Post Posted: Jan 22, 2021 7:40 am 
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Pretty much every tweet that the company has made about any of the older female characters in this game has been met with a bunch of irate replies from Japanese players lamenting the fact that they aren’t marriage options. So it’s definitely not just a Western fandom thing!

Personally, whether it started as a joke or not, I think at this point all it’s doing is turning off a lot of players. I hope they wise up for RF6 and give us a more varied selection of bachelorettes.

Daisuke Tsubasa
Post Posted: Jan 23, 2021 6:57 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Katze wrote:
Pretty much every tweet that the company has made about any of the older female characters in this game has been met with a bunch of irate replies from Japanese players lamenting the fact that they aren’t marriage options. So it’s definitely not just a Western fandom thing!

Personally, whether it started as a joke or not, I think at this point all it’s doing is turning off a lot of players. I hope they wise up for RF6 and give us a more varied selection of bachelorettes.

There's a degenerate side of JP Twt on the other hand lamenting that Livia and Hina aren't marriagable but let's not go into full detail there.

But yeah with the vocal backlash + the possibility of a season pass to implement content they wanted there from the start but couldn't due to restraints - we might see some existing villagers as bachelors or bachelorettes. My bets being Priscilla's sis and the detective guy if they happen.

Bribri
Post Posted: Jan 23, 2021 7:34 am 
Anonymous Fish

People are trying to marry the characters that are blatant kids? And there is no excuse for this because they look even younger than Amber did.

But I digress, I hope it gets a season pass, especially if it adds characters from older games like that guy with the muscles from Rune Factory 3 or the witch from Rune Factory 2.

Daisuke Tsubasa
Post Posted: Jan 23, 2021 8:15 am 
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Rune Factory (so far) has followed the story chronologically and the time gaps between each entry are p sizeable. Idk how PoOT works but unless RF5 turned out to be alternate universe, which I doubt, I dont think any returning cameos will be marriagable. Closest we got was Tabatha's sis Minerva from Frontier being a planned candidate in 4 but they scrapped that.

And Frontier's marriagable roster being 50% from RF1 was bc that was a direct sequel / spinoff to that title.

Alicia could very well be in her late 30s to mid 40s by the time RF5 is set, I imagine the RF1 candidates being past their middle ages, etc. Guy with muscles (Carlos) would maybe be in his mid 30s circa 4-5.

But if we get a season pass which seems highly likely especially in the event that Hakama had content they couldn't put into the game last minute + the delay, extra candidates will be from the base game be it a villager who doesn't have a kid e.g. Ersche / Priscilla's sis, the Seed Inspector General or a lore character we haven't seen yet.