RF4 SE - Relationship Woes

Covering Innocent Life (PsP/Ps2), Rune Factory 1 (DS), Rune Factory 2 (DS), Rune Factory 3 (DS/Switch), Rune Factory Frontier (Wii), Rune Factory Tides of Destiny (Wii/Ps3), Rune Factory 4 (3DS/Switch/Steam), and Rune Factory 5 (Switch/Steam).
PaleSunflower
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

I'm venting my frustrations here more than anything else. I have used the thread here. I managed to start dating without issue, but, since then, my relationship with Vishnal has grinded to a halt.

I have finally beat Rune Prana (on easy, but it still counts) and cleared the final act. Vishnal and my character have dated for about a year at this point. I have taken him on dozens of dates. Vishnal is at max affection with my character (or so the game claims). Everyone else in town is at 7 hearts or higher. I know it's not required for my character, but I have a double bed and engagement ring built and ready. I have yet to activate any of his required marriage events and instead have seemingly activated every other event in town. I have tried proposing to him multiple times, but he rejects me every time. I'm starting to think he's not interested, but is unwilling to break off the relationship himself (I can't break it off either, so we're stuck). Alternatively, Bado disapproves of our relationship and refuses to stock the statues required for one of the needed events, or Vishnal really isn't falling for it this time.
Spoiler:
When Venti returned, Vishnal said something about the day being so happy. If he married my character, the day would be happier.
At this point, I've given up on him, but I have no interest in the other available bachelors. I'd give the chef a shot at this point, but he doesn't count.

Getting married in HM:OW was easier than this. Hopefully, RF5 doesn't lock the marriage requirements behind random chance. :( I'll probably end up getting RF5 anyway, but still.
Somerandom
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

It seems as though Vishnal likes to take it slow because the event needed for the proposal event to activate (don’t fall for it Vishnal) did not activate for me until after I had finished the second arch. A quick way to make sure the event takes place is to put Vishnal and another character (preferably someone who appears in other events such as Forte) in your party before you go to bed. Save them Go to sleep and if a town event activates the next day and a member of your party is in it they will leave. For don’t fall for it Vishnal 1. Vishnal will leave your party and Forte will stay 2. As soon as you see him again Vishnal will complain that he is bad at his job and that’s when you follow the guide for this event. 3. When you look at your diary it should say the event currently on is don’t fall for it Vishnal.

If you don’t get this event, don’t save turn off your system and come back to before you went to sleep. Go to sleep again and see what the event is when you wake up. Keep doing this until you get the correct event.

As for the marriage proposal, for me that triggered after I completed don’t fall for it Vishnal. Again remember the saving before going to bed with Vishnal and another character in your party. If Vishnal leaves your party and Forte doesn’t (again using Forte as an example) then it is probably the marriage event. If it is the first line he will say when you talk to him again is something wonderful happened and he is asking you on a date. Once this event is complete you will marry (provided you say yes of course)I had trouble triggering it too, but with these tricks I was able to do it.

I hope this helps!
Kikki
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Unfortunately it really is just random chance. Both my sister and I in the past month triggered Vishnal's key pre-marriage event as one of our very first events in town. (I actually got 3 Vishnal-involved events in a row, and Don't Fall For It, Vishnal! was the second or third of them.) I have a much harder time getting the guy I prefer to give me his events. LEON, dang you...fork 'em over. I never get ANY Leon events, let alone the key one, lol.

RF4 and RF4S clearly have a desire sensor built in. Whatever events you want most will always trigger last. :evil:
PaleSunflower
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

Maybe. I think I've triggered most of the other boy's key marriage events. I got a couple of Doug's events in a row. In one where he almost buys a fake potion from a shady dealer. In the other, he all but states that the female MC is his ideal girl (and I intentionally picked the wrong option - Doug, I'm not dense. I just don't like you). I got the Shiny Memories event with the bird to happen a long time ago. Of course, Doug is among my least favorite of the bachelors, and I think he's ready to marry me. Meanwhile, Vishnal, the guy I'm aiming for, doesn't seem interested.

This situation almost feels like one of those school anime. My character is the popular girl that all the other boys would marry in a heartbeat, but she only has eyes for the one guy who may not be interested in her in all.

I'm hoping the desire-sensor is left out of Rune Factory 5.
Somerandom wrote:It seems as though Vishnal likes to take it slow because the event needed for the proposal event to activate (don’t fall for it Vishnal) did not activate for me until after I had finished the second arch.
If you propose to Vishnal early, he says something about not rushing things and taking our time, which would be great if he wasn't losing me emotionally. Most dating sims don't make you wait hundreds of hours to marry someone, and I have nothing to really aim for, story-wise, now that Rune Prana is done. I was hoping that finishing the 3rd act would somehow trigger the event, but no. We started dating before the end of the 2nd arch, and I thought we'd be married by the end of the third, but still no.

I saw that same strategy on the forum I linked in my first post. I think it tried it out a while ago and ended up triggering the Eyeglass Mania event instead. Thanks, game. :roll: To be something, Arthur was originally my second pick before I started playing.
Somerandom
Wacky Weed Puller
Wacky Weed Puller

Post  Posted:

PaleSunflower wrote:.I saw that same strategy on the forum I linked in my first post. I think it tried it out a while ago and ended up triggering the Eyeglass Mania event instead. Thanks, game. :roll: To be something, Arthur was originally my second pick before I started playing.
But did you save before bed the day before the town event triggers? From what it sounds like is that you tried the trick without actually resetting if you didn’t get your desired event. I was in the same situation as you and was upset that Vishnal’s event wasn’t triggering, so I did the save trick and eventually triggered don’t fall for it Vishnal after about 5 cycles of reloading my save before bed on a day before a town event (not a festival) triggered then resetting when I didn’t get the event that I wanted. If Vishnal leaves your party don’t fall for it Vishnal may not be the event triggered, make sure the start of don’t for it Vishnal happens first before you save.

As Vishnal would say, don’t give up! :D But honestly I also like Arthur as a character and his proposal event is pretty good.
PaleSunflower
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

I did save the night before, reset a bunch of times, and, when Vishnal finally left, I got excited. It turned out to be the wrong event, and I figured that the game would probably trigger the event on its own by the time I finished Rune Prana. I was wrong.

I appreciate you trying to help, regardless. :) I suppose it is fair enough to say that maybe that I should have reset 10, 20, 100 more times until the correct event happened, but resetting over and over again isn't fun for me. Not to mention that I am in Fall of year 3. That is over 240 resets in the form of the days passing.

I could try again to brute force the event to happen (my chances are probably higher now that the game is running out of other events to show me), but I think I should stop playing for a bit at this point. I'm frustrated and a bit disappointed at my character's relationship and just frustrated at the game's romance system. I kind of wish that my character could break up with Vishnal, even though I really like him as a character, and pursue someone else without cheating on him.

I'm also feeling a bit aimless in-game now that Venti's back. I've grown just about everything during the time I was stuck in Rune Prana. I only switched to easy mode a little over half-way through because I was tired of grinding new weapons and armor for seemingly each new boss. I've seen most of the other town events. The villager's dialogue is starting to repeat again. The only contest I haven't won is the fishing one, because I dislike fishing and can't be bothered with it (sorry, Dylas)...
RodCopper Fishin
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

When I married Leon, his marriage event was literally the very last event left in my game. The RNG really is that bad. I don’t like the resetting trick, firstly because I’ve heard of people ending up with crashes and corrupted data from repeated soft resets, and secondly because it really doesn’t help if you think about it. If you have a lot of events still left to see, it doesn’t take them out of the pool. You’re better off sleeping and skipping ahead so all the events work themselves out of the system. It will trigger, I promise you.
PaleSunflower
Custodian of Corn
Custodian of Corn

Post  Posted:

RF4 SE can't be soft reset, to my knowledge. That feature was removed from the Switch release, so you have to hard reset each time by closing and then reloading the game. A few people online claim that it's okay because of the Switch's fast loading times, but to each their own. I learned of this information out when I decided that Death Wall make for a cool pet and had to restart a few times. (Did you know that you can only tame Death Wall after it detaches from the wall? I didn't.)

You are absolutely correct about the odds - the fewer events the game has left, the more likely the player is to encounter the desired one and vice versa. The idea with the resetting strategy is that, if you role, let's say, 100-sided dice enough times in a row, then you will get the precise number you want eventually. With that being said, sleeping and skipping ahead works the same way. The main difference is how many days on the calendar you advance in-game. I think determining whether which one is "best" really depends on the player's tolerance for either releasing all monsters, clearing the fields, and sending the player character into a broken-up hibernation for indefinite amount of time or closing and re-opening the game over and over and over again for indefinite amount of time.

The RNG really is something, though. I don't think it should have been involved with the dating/marriage system and plot-important events, though I might be biased against the first one, as it is the source of my relationship woes in RF4. I triggered the event to start arc 3 within a week of finishing arc 2, but I remember people reporting that they struggled to get it occur for seasons (in-game). Also, if I was into the other boys, then my luck would be great. I triggered the marriage events for Dylas (I recall him being popular) and Leon with no problem. I got Vishnal to date my character in the first place with no problem.

I haven't seen anyone complaining about the RNG in RF5 yet, anyway. I really hope RF5 manages to improve the RNG somehow, maybe by giving marriage-related events a higher chance of occurring with whomever you date or something. We'll find out eventually.