Postpone the tunnel requests or not?

Nintendo DS and Nintendo 3DS [ Game Guide ]
Velvet
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

I've played this game a long time before, but haven't ever finished it, so now I'm still on the fence: should I ignore cooking festivals to postpone the tunnel requests or not?

Afaik, completing them finishes the storyline, and I'm not sure I can keep my interest in the game if its story is finished. But maybe I'm mistaken? I'm a bit worried about spoilers, even though the game is old, so maybe someone can tell me without a lot of them if there's still something else to work towards after that.

P.S. In general, if a farming\social game like this has a storyline, I'd prefer to buy all expansions and marry before finishing it. I tried to do otherwise but lost interest every time. It's just not enough for me to expand my farm and marry for its own sake, I guess... There has to be a more final goal still available.
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Yes. There’s stuff to do after the tunnel. The tunnel is the main plot, yes, but it depends how you play.
Code_Name_Geek
Tubular Turnip Farmer
Tubular Turnip Farmer

Post  Posted:

The tunnel is the main plot, and the opportunities to upgrade it happen instead of the option to expand your house and farm (temporarily of course, if you keep playing for a very long time you’ll eventually unlock everything). So if you’d rather work on those first then I would skip the cooking festivals until you’re ready to upgrade the tunnel. There are other things to work towards after the tunnel expansion but if reuniting the two towns is the “end goal” for you then the tunnel would be the main thing for sure.

This is definitely one of the longest HM games in terms of how many years you have to play to max everything out, so I’d recommend looking at the farm expansions on the main site’s guide and planning for what’s coming up. Unless you don’t want to know that and would rather be surprised, which is fine, but I found it made planning a lot easier.
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

I’m just going to add a little thing to consider.
Spoiler:
Just to note though. If you want to marry Dirk you HAVE to complete the tunnel.
Velvet
Growing Garden Gnome
Growing Garden Gnome

Post  Posted:

Thanks. What are those things I could work for after completing the tunnel? It's fine if it's a spoiler, I don't think I can decide without knowing if it can replace the unite-two-towns goal or not.

P.S. Dirk is a kid, I'd feel like a pedophile marrying him ;) I know it's ok in Japan to use children's graphics in games and still imply they're adults, but it just doesn't always work for me. Dirk and Hiro are kids in my book, I can't see them any other way.

Oh and btw you know how Ayame always requests weeds and poison mushrooms? I tried gifting some to her, since she loves them so much, and she was utterly disgusted, what a hypocrite! :P
Shan O 123
UNoT Extreme Mooomber
UNoT Extreme Mooomber

Post  Posted:

Aw, I like Dirk :3

Well, there’s completing farms to 100%
The tunnel has a mine you could unlock and explore
Get married and have a kid
Random events from town folks